starter grinding with remote start, 03 xterra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

Mike M2 wrote:
The wire you are connected to is the correct wire according to DEI(which by the way lists it as an ALTERNATING CURRENT). As for the starter, MANY do not time out the starter. Both DEI and Avox units will grind the starter if it doesn't see a tach once it has been programmed. Take either manufacturers units in a working car and disconnect the tach wire, they WILL grind the starter unitl it turns off. You could try using an injector wire just to see if it will work for you....

So you're saying that if my wife hits her remote start (DEI) button on her remote and the unit never sees a tach signal it will crank the starter until she leaves the house 10 mintues later and shuts the remote start off?  I find that impossible to believe.

If you consider tach signals AC then you would have to consider CAN bus signals AC as well, and even ignition and headlight wires, as they all switch between 12vdc and ground.  That being said, I have seen one vehicle that actually had an AC tach signal - it was a WRX that was using some sort of magnetic pick up that created a perfect sine wave (complete with - voltage).  Most cars these days use crank angle hall effect sensors that are a pulsing DC square wave.

When does the starter start to crank?  DEI units turn the ignition on and then wait a few seconds before turning the starter on.  So, if you have the starter wire hooked up correctly you should see the ignition turn on and then a few seconds later the starter should start to crank. 

Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry Kevin,I'm with  Mike M2 100% on this one, it's happened to me back before I realised how glitched the Wiz was and it lost the tach. (Always manually programme them nowadays).
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
Indeed that is what i am saying will happen. Any experienced installer has had a car come back that has been for service and the first thing the mechanic did was yank the tach wire off the coil or injector to help him find his problem. When that happens the starter will stay engaged the entire time it runs. If you don't believe me, try it once....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
saleengt2001 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
ok i checked some stuff over. it isnt the starter staying engaged but the bendix seems like it is staying engaged. the starter wires only see power for a couple of senconds max until the truck starts. it is not trying to turn the engine but it sounds like the bendix is being turned by the flywheel still.
what is it that tells the bendix when to disengage? would this be the tach wire? if so can i just connect the tach wire to any of the injectors negative wire??
KPierson 
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  

Interesting I'll have to try it out tonight.

In all my years of installing I have never seen this happen.  In all my years of engineering I don't see how a reputable company would allow this to happen.  Running a starter for 15 minutes while grinding the starter can cause substantial damage to a car - there is no reason a starter should ever crank longer then 30 seconds.

The tach wire controls the starter out signal - if the signal is shutting off the starter should be losing power and the bendix should be retracting.  Do you ever have problems when manually starting the car?

Kevin Pierson
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Did you actually check the starter wires for voltage with a DVM to see if it shuts off? I can't see how it could stay engaged without power unless the bendix itself is sticking....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

i know with all the vipers i've had that have had the tach wire cut they only crank for a second or two then retry two more times

i have never seen one crank and crank

i think the max crank time on a viper is 8 seconds

also measuring the tach wire i found that my fluke with frequency measurement is more reliable than trying to measure ac voltage

saleengt2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
i got the problem figured out.
the starter output was on the wrong prong on the RS. the diagram they sent with the unit was wrong and it was giving the starter wire a constant 12V when the RS was powered on.
i switched the wire positions and it cranks like it should now. the starter wire was on the (output to ign2) prong
there is still one issue i have found. when i crank it using the RS and then get in the truck and put the key in the ignition and turn it to the run position it will attempt to engage the starter for just a fraction of a second. i just tap the brake just before i turnthe key to remedy this for now till i find a solution.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!!!!!
this is a GREAT forum with some expert installers!
KPierson 
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

Now that you got it working time to upgrade to a remote start that you'll actually like!

I spent 45 minutes today trying to reprogram a remote to a BOA system.  Once the remote was finally programmed I got to enjoy the amazing 12' range.

How is the range on your unit?

Kevin Pierson
saleengt2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

Now that you got it working time to upgrade to a remote start that you'll actually like!

I spent 45 minutes today trying to reprogram a remote to a BOA system. Once the remote was finally programmed I got to enjoy the amazing 12' range.

How is the range on your unit?

LOL, mine isn't that bad. i started it from over 60 ft away. my truck is only parked about 10ft from my home so the range doesnt have to be too far.
i'm looking to put a RS on my wifes 07 Accord also. any recomendations? i know i need the transponder bypass from DEI. what is a nicer RS so she wont have any problems?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic