icon

Post Your Ultimate Remote Start Tips, Tricks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smoketest 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

I also use a section of brake line as a wire insertion tool to feed through the OEM grommet , but with the following enhancments.

1) I slide the section of brake line over the top of a long phillips screw driver, the section of brake line is now a sleeve around the screw driver shaft.

2) I than spray the screw driver tip and brake line with silicon spray. Makes getting through the grommet a lot easier. Some of the grommets are thick and hard, even more so if you happend to punch through a region/location where they are extra thick due to icons like up-arrows.

3) I push the screw driver through the grommet and than chase through with the brake line sleeve and than withdraw the screw driver leaving the brake line sleeve in the grommet.

4) Now the most inportant feature... My section of brake line has a slot cut along the entire length (done with an air grinder cut-off wheel). I run wire through the grommet(brake line) from both directions (ie tach+hood-pin one way and speaker wires back the other way). I leave the brake line in the grommet until the installation is done and the wires are connected up on both sides of the firewall. This way I can easy make adjustments to the wire length, back and forth through the grommet sleeve and even run more wires if needed. Once I am happy with everything I simply pull the brake line back through the grommet from which ever side of the fire wall is convient. I than slide it off the wires via the lateral slot in the brake line. Without the slot the brake line sleeve would have been trap on the wire.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
We take metal screw-on antenna's and grind the tip into a sharp point to run through rubber grommets. Once through just tape on your wires, spray with silicon spray and pull.
We always get 12v from the ignition wires unless they are specified as low current. We always hook up park lights, so we don't want to take a chance that the lower current power source won't be adequate. On Toyota's, which often have low current ignition circuits, there is often a 4 awg wire running to the fuse box that makes a good 12v source.
Page of 7

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic