icon

Post Your Ultimate Remote Start Tips, Tricks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
problem is Howie, and i cant speak for over in the UK, but here copper is way more costly than $3 for 40" of stainless steel, which is what the brake line i get is. big thing now for theives is to go those empty neighborhoods with all the foreclosed homes from the housing market crash and break into them just to steal all the copper pipes and pluming out of them for the cash. they'll rip them right out of the walls and everything. never thought of curtain rod though. ill try some.
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Brake tubing is a good Idea on a do it yourself grommet poker. I wish I had one when I did my last install. I lost mine awhile back.. Time to head to the auto parts store and make a new one.
lanman31337 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

ckeeler wrote:
problem is Howie, and i cant speak for over in the UK, but here copper is way more costly than $3 for 40" of stainless steel, which is what the brake line i get is. big thing now for theives is to go those empty neighborhoods with all the foreclosed homes from the housing market crash and break into them just to steal all the copper pipes and pluming out of them for the cash. they'll rip them right out of the walls and everything. never thought of curtain rod though. ill try some.

They did exactly that to our old house.  Thank god for insurance.

Know what else I use a lot?  The grabber claw thingie with the 4 jaws.  I can feed it and bend it, and grab a cluster of wires and pull it if I need to.  It likes roast beef sammiches.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
i know of some people down here in new orleans that have has their copper stolen 2 or 3 times. people do it alot down here since they still have people rebuilding from hurricanes so their walls are still open. they can thank FEMA for that
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
i love my skew-driver. comes in very handy for screws in the back deck and behind the dash. i get these at home depot but black & decker sells a cheapo model at wal-mart
Post Your Ultimate Remote Start Tips, Tricks - Page 6 -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Lanman, I love roast beef sandwiches, nothing like driving a manual car, the phone goes and I'm trying to change gear and put down my cup of tea whilst overtaking that pesky cop car, I have to hide the sannie and the phone. Actually I was joking, i hate manuals, and what are cup-holders and BT kits for, trouble is, one kit and 2 phones.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
i second that screw driver. Wish i could find a short drill bit for it tho.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Thack79 wrote:
i second that screw driver. Wish i could find a short drill bit for it tho.
i tried that too but the drill bit wobbles around too much to be useful as a drill
thunda_hawg 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
matco makes their  "tight fit" drill set  that works fairly well for me
89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
Taylor owes Joe a Sandwich
jinstall 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

I know you guys are off on your own tangent now but I managed to think of some tips that may not have been second nature to me a year ago.

I came across a remote starter yesterday where the car had problems. packed airbags, accident car right? well there was a problem with the brakeswitch, no voltage at the switch, but for whatever reason still activated the brake lights. so instead of getting the brake shutdown at the switch I grabbed it from the output for the actual tail lights. so to apply as a general tip, if you're having trouble finding a wire where it should be, always try to think of where that wire is either coming from or going to. parking lights are a common one. you'll find parking lights at a dimmer switch, or at the stalk, or one better at the worst case you'll find the parking light wire at the bulb if you really really have to. so if you're having trouble, go to the source, or go to where that wire will indefinitely end up.

installing a remote starter is also a lot easier than trouble shooting one most of the time. first thing with an inactive starter is to check if it's in valet. if the remote starter turns on but won't start, try remote starting with the key in the ignition. if no luck, check your shut down triggers, like brake or hood pin, or if it's a standard transmission car, clutches are easy to mess up on. recheck your polarity. if still no luck then you check your power inputs. if still good at this point you check the wires in the car. if the car has had a starter installed before, you never know if the put in a starter kill and either left it there or reconnected the starter wire poorly. if you STILL have trouble, you might suspect your brain to be no good. if you have access to another brain you might try swapping out the brain. if that still doesn't work, you without question have a programming issue, or there is an unidentified problem with the car. if it's an old car and one out of four door pins actually work, than that may be your problem. but remember every starter is different. I had one a couple weeks ago that after all these steps, we thought his bad door pins were the problem, but when we called tech support, he told us to program the unit to turn off the starter kill feature, even though we hadn't installed one. no idea how it worked, but it did. learn somethnig new every day.

but as far as troubleshooting a starter goes, that's the way it's done.

Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic