the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Post Your Ultimate Remote Start Tips, Tricks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

btw, Kevin

where can i grab a set of those? cant seem to find it on the net? maybe im searching the wrong thing.

to the original poster, sorry if i kinda hijacked your thread, but its a good discussion dont you think =)

i thought of number 10) please show your customer how to sue the remote and its features. If you installed a starter kill (ground when armed) remind them to unlock the doors before trying to start with the key !!!

tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:

of course not every one does this. this is a tip to show you how to so something better than the "usual".

i thought this thread was to  post tips and tricks? all ive seen so far is nothing more that common sense type things.

Common sense to someone isn't always common sense to another. :D
Regarding the 12V line.. The starters I install all have two 12V lines coming from the brain.. I always just tap them into the same 12V line at the ignition harness..
Would it be OK (because it would be easier) to just tie them both together (the brain ones) and then tie one of them into the 12V at the ignition harness? I've never done it this way but if it's safe to do, it would be easier. Thanks
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Teddy.... you should post up a copy of your birth certificate.....

YOU are without a doubt, the smartest young man I have ever not met, yet sort of known!

Keep up the good work, and I'll defend you any time! (just don't correct my spelling OR grammer)Post Your Ultimate Remote Start Tips, Tricks - Page 3 -- posted image.

tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:

btw, Kevin

where can i grab a set of those? cant seem to find it on the net? maybe im searching the wrong thing.

to the original poster, sorry if i kinda hijacked your thread, but its a good discussion dont you think =)

i thought of number 10) please show your customer how to sue the remote and its features. If you installed a starter kill (ground when armed) remind them to unlock the doors before trying to start with the key !!!

No problem man.. I'm glad this thread is getting this many replies.. I would have just bumped up an old thread but they get locked so fast...
Here are some bed of nails.
I got ones similar to these: these
The ones I got work pretty good. I have to squeeze them pretty hard while the wire is in between them in order to pierce it but other then that, it's better then splicing to test..
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
tbird2340 wrote:
ckeeler wrote:

of course not every one does this. this is a tip to show you how to so something better than the "usual".

i thought this thread was to  post tips and tricks? all ive seen so far is nothing more that common sense type things.

Common sense to someone isn't always common sense to another. :D
Regarding the 12V line.. The starters I install all have two 12V lines coming from the brain.. I always just tap them into the same 12V line at the ignition harness..
Would it be OK (because it would be easier) to just tie them both together (the brain ones) and then tie one of them into the 12V at the ignition harness? I've never done it this way but if it's safe to do, it would be easier. Thanks

oh yea, sure its ok. dont take me wrong either guys, im not saying thats how it has to be done or done that way because the 12v supply lines at the switch arent enough, im just saying........you know, a little something I always do and its no big deal anyway because i have to go under the hood anyway for tach and siren, hood pin you know. so, while im there i just run a couple of 10ga wires, fuse and hide and split loom them.

hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged  
now here's some food for thought: The ignition switch is a switch that "typically" uses that thick gauge power wire in most cars to direct power to the ignition circuits in the car, and then the start circuit correct? Well, a remote starter just replicates these functions in order to start the car without an actual person with a key, turning the switch.. the remote starters I install have 3 power wires typically, one serves as in input for the starter output, the other as an input for the accessory circuit, and the other for the ignition circuit. Now I can definitely see 3 separate inputs being justified if there are 3 separate 12v wires at the switch, of course if they indeed are only there to power up their own isolated respective circuit.
So in theory, if the remote starter is replicating the switch that gets it's input for all of the circuits it completes from one input wire, the three input wires on the remote start can meet at one point no?
I'm not saying it's a dumb idea to run 10g power wires to the battery, but again, the car starts by turning the key, so by replicating each click and turn of the key, the car should start. whether the switch applies 12v to acc, ign, and cuts acc at start, or just powers on ign and acc and cuts acc in order to tell the computer it's time to start the car, we're simulating the turn of that key.
I've never run separate 10g wires to the battery, not because I don't believe in it, but because in the many vehicles I've installed in, that has never been required to simulate the turn of the key.
MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

hurleyloser wrote:
now here's some food for thought: The ignition switch is a switch that "typically" uses that thick gauge power wire in most cars to direct power to the ignition circuits in the car, and then the start circuit correct? Well, a remote starter just replicates these functions in order to start the car without an actual person with a key, turning the switch.. the remote starters I install have 3 power wires typically, one serves as in input for the starter output, the other as an input for the accessory circuit, and the other for the ignition circuit. Now I can definitely see 3 separate inputs being justified if there are 3 separate 12v wires at the switch, of course if they indeed are only there to power up their own isolated respective circuit.
So in theory, if the remote starter is replicating the switch that gets it's input for all of the circuits it completes from one input wire, the three input wires on the remote start can meet at one point no?
I'm not saying it's a dumb idea to run 10g power wires to the battery, but again, the car starts by turning the key, so by replicating each click and turn of the key, the car should start. whether the switch applies 12v to acc, ign, and cuts acc at start, or just powers on ign and acc and cuts acc in order to tell the computer it's time to start the car, we're simulating the turn of that key.
I've never run separate 10g wires to the battery, not because I don't believe in it, but because in the many vehicles I've installed in, that has never been required to simulate the turn of the key.

obvious guy^^

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
KTM you really want to see my birth certif? i wouldnt mind posting a pic of that, just i will cover up some things. dont want identity theft :) btw if no1 beleives i am 17, you just watch, i will blow your mind away !
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

Ted, NO I don't want to see your birth certificate..... I'm on your side!

Just like I know Howie's nearly 80... Post Your Ultimate Remote Start Tips, Tricks - Page 3 -- posted image.Post Your Ultimate Remote Start Tips, Tricks - Page 3 -- posted image.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Ted's first about checking;-  that applies even when you have a crib-sheet, did an 04 Ram 5.7l recently, I thought great, other side of the car, make a nice change from the Beemers, Golfs Foci and Japs, directechs this sight and Audiovox all agreed on everything and guess what?  Ignition no1 was a different colour!  My most important tip would be when you've set it up REMOVE CAR KEY FROM VEHICLE BEFORE TESTING. Failure's cost me a fortu ne over the years. Frankly running main R/S lines to batt ign switch or even fusebox input doesn't seem to make any difference, except some German cars even shut down the ign feeds on a sleep circuit nowadays so check everything. Thanks to the usual guys for the good ideas and I know how old Ted is because I've seen his picture after my daughter introduced me to facebook.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic