icon

goofy '95 cavalier with no passlock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2008 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
An hour south of where I live, you're in West Virginia, which isn't nicknamed "The Mountain State" for nothing. You can't drive less than 20 miles to get between any 2 points that are 10 miles apart as the crow flies.
The rural roads(which is basically all there is, the state's largest city is 50,000 people) there also generally come with the added benefit of nearly nonexistent guardrails and road signs. I've had some nice drives there in my GTO to say the least.
Just for s**ts and giggles I did a comparison build of a Mustang and a 128i...Mustang GT coupe, manual transmission maxes out at $30,120. The 128i, with no options whatsoever, is $30,025.
The Mustang has heated power leather seats, navi, HIDs, a great(by factory standards) sound system.
The 128i has vinyl seats that don't have the delightful thigh adjustment(you need to spend $1400 on the sport package for that), or heaters($500 as a standalone, $900 in the cold weather package), and it's got a third fewer horsepower than the Mustang.
Ok, you say, but handling! According to Car and Driver the 128i pulls .89g on a skidpad, the Mustang .86. Granted there's more to handling than skidpad numbers. But I don't think it's stretching to say that if you gave up a couple options and put the money into aftermarket performance parts, you'd totally blow away the Bimmer. And this basically illustrates the reason I'm not keen on them at U.S. prices. What's a 128i cost in the UK right now btw?
And if you want to say Lotus, yes, they are phenomenal cars. I've thought of selling/trading my GTO for a 4-cylinder Esprit occasionally. Can't drive a 2-seater year round in PA though.
Hondas are great too, but they don't currently make(or don't sell in the US) a) the Prelude, b) Accord Wagon, c) Civic hatchback, d) any practical rear-wheel-drive car. Also the new Accord is much too big for carving up mountain roads.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2008 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
You're so right, what weighted the situation for years over was the tax factor, many people went for company cars, also people bought on the drip or leased, in fact the best deal for an individual is to guess the value in 2-3 years time when you out the car. At this point a Benz is cheaper than say an Alfa Romeo because the residual is so much more. Hence UK roads filled with Audis, BMWs and C and E class. I would echo your point about the OLD pre- 94 Prelude, given one a couple of years ago, very comfy and the recaros wouldn't have cost any more and went like a dream. Unfortunately most front wheel drives with the exception of Honda and Ford (Mazda 2 is new Fiesta, Mazda 3 is Focus and Mazda 6 is Mondeo) understeer badly, not fun on interesting roads, P.S. The 335 ticks all the boxes rear wheel drive etc etc competitivly priced ref my first sentence and at this time probably the best built car in the world in terms of trim fit and reliability though I wouldn't argue against 07 onwards C and E class, Honda or Lexus or here we go SKODA PPS No one buys a BM as basic trim which is why apart from a trunk switch and a GPS based speed cam detector I've been able to put nothing into my mates.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2008 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
Just thinking, in 81 I was driving down 95 to Florida and I did a detour to Crutchfields, it was a beautiful run and broke the monotomy of 95.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic