icon

01 celica gt s, viper 5901 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
proximity 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
I'll be installing a new viper 5901 system in my 2001 toyota celica soon and being a manual car, I've got a couple questions.
I definitely want the neutral safety switch thing, so the car won't start in gear. Does anyone know what I'll need for that? A parking brake safety would be nice as well.
For those not aware, there is a long convoluted list of steps needed to be done when exiting your car for remote start to be "active". The hassle almost cancels out the convenience of remote start. Is there any way to bypass that? (please don't preach to me about the safety aspect, I plan on being very safe with it based on my first question)
Also will I need the directed 689m? I guess the 5901 already comes with the capability to do manual remote starts so does it offer anything else (like the neutral safety switch)
Also any other tips would be extremely appreciated. :)
Thanks a lot
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
Just use the 689M. And YES, you will need to go thru "all of that hassle" in order to use the remote start!
proximity 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone else?
proximity 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
If anyone provides me with a solution that works I would be more than happy in donating to their cause monetarily.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
autostart has a fuction when you pull ebrake, the ignition is powered, remove key, open door car stays runing, close door car shuts down and now its ready for RS. but its still not safe. i would stick with a VSS or 689m module.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

proximity wrote:
If anyone provides me with a solution that works I would be more than happy in donating to their cause monetarily.

I did provide you with a solution that works! This is not an issue that one can remedy by throwing money at it!

This is the proper/safe way to do this job!     "NO CHARGE" 01 celica gt s, viper 5901 remote start -- posted image.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  
As discussed by KPierson in another post, a neutral safety switch added on to a manual transmission would be a fantastic aid for remote starting, if you had the machining ability and mechanical know how to accomplish that.
Barring that - the "long convoluted list of steps" isn't that bad. All you have to do is grab everything you need when you park the car so you don't have to reopen the door, and push the remote start buttons on the remote when you're pulling in to your parking spot. Everything else just comes naturally.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
only Kevin could rig something up with an IC cbip and program it to do anything. i saw his push button start and i must say taht was impressive.
jinstall 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

tedmond wrote:
autostart has a fuction when you pull ebrake, the ignition is powered, remove key, open door car stays runing, close door car shuts down and now its ready for RS. but its still not safe. i would stick with a VSS or 689m module.

not sure how one would say this isn't safe. once reservation mode is set, it locks and arms. the only way this would not be safe is if you left a window open or set reservation with people in the car. the idea is to basically do what any normal person would do anyways before exiting their manual transmission car. close your windows, lift the e brake, and exit the car. if it's in gear while it's running you're not going to be exiting your car.

even if you did leave a window open or set reservation with people in the car, are your buddies really gonna mess with you that badly? there's always that one in a million, but I just don't see it happening.

anyways, to set a standard car up with a starter all you have to do is hook up the clutch wire (make sure to test the polarity of the clutch wire, toyota most likely will be negative), hook up the ebrake wire, and hook up the door pins. other than that it's a standard starter install. it can be done as if it were an automatic but to even consider taking that risk is absolutely stupid. what's worse, spending an extra 1/2 hour at most hooking up 3 wires or crashing your car cuz you didn't wanna do it?

proximity 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Well as long as the neutral safety wire is preventing it from starting, I don't see not needing to press the remote start button before I exit the car while it's running is in any way not safe.
Plus what if I need to get back in my car real quick for whatever unforeseen reason. Will I have to restart the car and do all that just for remote start to work in the morning?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic