icon

2001 yukon, bulldog rs1200e

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

You can hook up the hood pin but in about 2 yrs it will be inop-- due to corrosion- so why bother?  The hood pin  switch is not wired in a failsafe mode- it must see a ground to disable-- a failsafe would be designed that it must see a ground to enable the starter-  but then you would have remote starts that don't start (again due to corrosion) -  all remote starters are like this. So tell me about the safety first aspect- the remote start designers would rather see their product work all the time, then to be concerned about it starting when someone is under the hood. Their design proves this.  Other wise they would use stainless steel hood pins, or mercury switches, or reverse the failsafe mode.   I have seen at least a dozen hood pins go inop over the last ten years- all due to corrosion

Corroded or not, you will never know that the switch is not working- unless you test for it- so there goes the mechanics fingers- all due to poor engineering design and our friend Mr Corrosion.  A really prudent installer uses a mercury switch.

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
jcowart 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
I have already solved the hood pin issue. But thanks anyway.
I have noticed that I loose some function after the install, mainly, my door locks will no longer lock from the door panel switch. Its weird. Also, the "lock" button on my original remote (the factory remote) no longer works.
Any leads on that one??
Bulldog security says nada on their site about this.
Jason Cowart
jcowart 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a bulldog rs12ooe remote starter on a 2001 yukon and my door locks are no longer operational. (meaning the actual button on the door panel).
The keyless entry on the remote starter works great, but as I say the door lock switches on the doors do not.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix that?
Jason Cowart
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
how did you wire the door locks for the keyless entry? did you wire them for a negative trigger type system?
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Did you check all the fuses? You may not have power going to the lock switch, but the lock are working with the alarm because the alarm is sending power to the relays instead of the switch.
The relays and the switch in the door are on two seperate fuses.
bak0707 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

which locks dont work drivers door or pass. door or all of them. gm has had problems with the master switch going bad which is at the drivers door. may want to check and see if the pass. side lock switch works.

jcowart 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies. I have not checked the fuses. I will do that later on today.
All of the door lock switches do not work. ALso, on my factory remote, the unlock button works but the lock button does not.
I wondered if I had the wrong wire hooked up in the BCM. Here is what I mean:
In the yukon, there are 2 wires coming from the BCM that are needed to hook up the keyless entry , a light blue and a white for lock and unlock respectively.
However, there are actually 4 light blue wires coming from the BCM. What I did was attach the lock wire from the remote starter unit to the light blue wire that I thought was in the correct bin location based on the instructions. Perhaps this is the issue.
As far as the negative trigger system mentioned by ckeeler, I do not know if that is what is on my vehicle. I am quite new to this, sorry.
I will say the remote system works very well. I work in the 4th floor of my building on the opposite side of the building from our parking lot and I remote started from my desk. That's awesome!
Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Jason Cowart
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

You should NEVER hook anything up if your arn't sure it's the right wire.  That is how sensitive electronic modules get damaged.

It's impossible to say where you hooked the (-) unlock output up and what kind of damage was done when the output sent a ground signal to the unidentified wire.

In your case I would recomend unhooking everything and focusing on getting the OEM stuff back working again.  If you are lucky it's only a fuse, if you aren't lucky it's a BCM.

Then, once the car is fixed, if you still want the system installed either purchase a volt meter and learn to use it or take it a shop that can properly identify the wires in the vehicle.  Hooking things up blindly is a guarenteed way to damage something.

Kevin Pierson
jcowart 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response.
I didn't hook up anything blindly. I followed the directions to the T. The instructions gave the proper bin location, so I connected with that bin location.
I do know how to use a volt meter. Just before I made the connection, I checked the wire and got the correct reading.
The door locks work perfectly from the remote.
Jason Cowart
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

So you did verify the wire?  Your initial description didn't mention using a meter, just that you hooked it up to the wire that you "thought was in the correct bin location based on the instructions. "  Any installer will tell you that the instructions arn't always right, and sometimes, like in your case, when they are there can be several possibilities in that general location.

How did you make your connections?  Is there any possibility that the BCM output wire was cut and not connected back together properly?

Does the vehicle have an OEM keyless sytstem?  If so, does it still work?

Kevin Pierson
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic