icon

picking the relay i need

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

I forgot to mention that you will need to run the output of the above setup to a fifth relay to give you the result you are looking for. 12 V + output to 86 of the fifth relay.  Ground 85.  30 goes to the wire that has ground when you push trunk release button.    87A to one wire and 87 to the other wire.  The state of the fifth relay will determine which of the 2 wires will see the ground that is going to be on 30.

As Kevin stated, in an energized state, a relay will draw about 160 milliamps each.  One relay staying engaged can run a battery down in a day or so.  4 or 5 of them, will be worse.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

You would have to use a great deal of care with that system - if you leave any of the relays latched while the car isn't running it will drain the battery.

Are you dead set on staying with a relay only setup?  It may be beneficial to use an electronic solution.

so true. not only that, think of the cost involved with that many relays as well as the size. the 0047 electronic relay would be cheaper, or you could build your own electronic solution for less and the space and size would be worth it by far.

phree_refill 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  
So how could i go about an electronic route? At this point I am not real concerned on using primarily just relays but any combination of devices are acceptable. it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Whatever i can rig up that requires the fewest parts/ space and/or is easiest to wire and cheap. Or any combination of those qualities would be fantastic.
phree_refill 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2009 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
I would just give in and buy that 0047 relay but their website doesn't have any place to order it. Has anyone tried ordering it over the phone?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2009 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

I would do it with either a microcontroller or a flip flop.  Unfortunately both are going to require a bit of circuity.

The microcontroller is nice because you don't need any calculations or debounce circuitry - you can use general interface circuits and do all the timing in the software.  The drawback here is most microcontrollers are 5vdc so you'll need a power supply circuit.

A flip flop can generally be ran at 12vdc so you won't need a power supply, but you'll need to build a debounce interface that may require you to make some calculations and test some things out to make sure you get rid of all the bounce.

Both solutions will leave you with "memory" that doesn't involve latching a relay so your standby current will be extremely low.

Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
Drew this up a couple years ago, this uses a J-K FF like Kevin mentioned. Considerably cheaper, a dollar in parts and some assembly time.
picking the relay i need - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
This was the original thread on it
theviperman 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2009 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

Another item you can use is the TR-7 module - it does exactly what you want it to do.  You give it a single pulsed ground and it will provide either constant power or ground (depending on which wire you use.)  Give it the same pulsed ground (you can also give a pulsed positive signal) and it will turn the output off.  I use the TR-7 to bypass the ECU on my Stratus to power the fog lights with the factory momentary switch independent of the headlights or highbeams.

Search for "PAC TR-7" on google and you'll find it easily.  It's kinda pricey - over $30, shipped.  But it does 7 different functions, is programmable, and can be reprogrammed for other uses.

Jeff

Don't mind me...
jdub765 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2009 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
I've been searching for the same exact thing!! What I'm going to do is use a 4027 IC chip and a relay.
The 4027 chip is a dual JK flip flop. If you use just one of the flip flops, and set J and K to high, then the output to Q will toggle back and forth with each high pulse into the clock input. So you'd attach your button to the clock input for one of the flip flops.
https://info.hobbyengineering.com/specs/Fairchild-CD4027BC.pdf
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic