< Prev Topic Next Topic >
6thaveme 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
moparfan1234 wrote:

aznboi3644 wrote:
woofer size has nothing to do with how low it will play.
8's will play just as low as 15's...its all about the enclosure. I would first look on how much space you are willing to give up.
Type R's like BIG enclosures...I'd do atleast 2 cu ft per 12. Atleast 4 cu ft per 15.

but for how many 8s you will need to keep up with 1 15 its just not worth it SPL wise. and most 15s are made to hit real low where not all 8s will. all subs have a Frequency Response range they will play. most 8s dont have as low of a Frequency Response as 15s. thats where every one gets the idea of 15s hiting lower. also 15s hit there peek SPL at a lower frequency then 8s. so yea some 8s will play low but there peek SLP will be at a higher frequency.

Its about the enclosure. The "peek (lol sp?) spl has nothing to do with the subwoofer...it is dependent on the enclosure. Saying "most 15's are made to hit real low" is false...every speaker is different.
8 inch subs can have just as low of a "frequency response" as any 15...Again it is dependent on the enclosure.
People who think 15's hit "lower" than 8's are noobs...its a FACT. Ask any KNOWLEDGEABLE audio installer/designer.
You still have much to learn. I've gotten one 12 inch sub to play lower and louder than 15's I've heard. The "frequency response" that you see are made up figures from the manufactures. A subwoofer can play well below its Fs depending on the enclosure.
4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
infinity kappa door speakers
6thaveme 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

the guy that thinks 8 inch woofers can hit low notes like 15 inch woofers obviously doesnt no a thing about car audio..do u no how big of a box and how many 8 inch subs you would need to produce a low note like a 15...15s are for low bass 8 inch subs are for people who dont like crazy bass..im not even going to get into this..this is a no brainer

4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
BAD attitude to have in this forum. We are not the ususal dumb asses over at caraudioforum.com You should REALLY check out what we know before you come in here with those kinds of ideas...
An 8" WILL go as low as a 15". I guarantee it. It may or may not have the same OUTPUT AT A GIVEN FREQUENCY, but I can tell you from experience that they can go that low. Take your New York attatude back to New York. You'll be welcomed here as soon as you chill.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:

the guy that thinks 8 inch woofers can hit low notes like 15 inch woofers obviously doesnt no a thing about car audio..do u no how big of a box and how many 8 inch subs you would need to produce a low note like a 15...15s are for low bass 8 inch subs are for people who dont like crazy bass..im not even going to get into this..this is a no brainer

what is a note? a note is a given frequency, correct? so frequency = note as far as terminology is concerned. with that being said, a SUB woofer regardless of size will produce the notes it is designed to produce which are frequencies/notes between 20hz up to around 200hz(more or less). an 8 inch SUBWOOFER is designed to hit these frequencies just as much as an 18 inch subwoofer. the output may be less but the frequency response is still there, and with the right enclosure, it will be audible. you might need many 8's to equal the low frequency audibility of an 18 but even with 1 8 inch sub the frequency response is still there.
and you dont no a thing about grammar
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2009 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:
Re-reading, for re-addressing...
Speaking of no-brainers... There is ZERO difference between car audio and home audio, and anybody that thinks there is, got no brains... Even for those people that don't like "crazy bass".
Sorry, 'volters, I just had to add that jab. Did I mention that this guy REALLY irked me?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
6thaveme 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2009 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
ok now u guys need me to realy get into this go on kicker.com and read the specs for a kicker l7 an 8 inch kicker l7 has a response from 28hz to 100hz.A 15 inch kicker l7 has a reponse from 18hz to 100hz.So mr platinum you tell me how a 8inch sub is going to catch low frequienies like a 15inch sub obviously the box desighn has alot to do with it tuning the port etc but if the sub doesnt respond to 27hz and lower it isnt going to be makeing any bass in the well desighned box its in.......therefor a 15 inch sub in a box tuned correctly will be more responsive and produce much stronger bass at low frequincies..i used kicker l7 as an example this is pretty much with every woofer out there 15s are for realy low bass 8 inch subs are worthless in my book
4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
haemphyst 
Posted: March 01, 2009 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
You are so very wrong, my friend... Very wrong. That's called "USABLE" frequency response. That means that in most cases, that is what the woofer can produce in USABLE output. That doesn't mean that it can't produce any frequency outside of that band. EVERY driver diaphragm is going to respond to whatever frequency you put into it, even a tweeter diaphragm can respond to below 27Hz. It can't put any SPL out at those frequencies, simply due to the lack of excursion, but the diaphragm WILL respond. I have a single 10 in my trunk that you would NEVER be able to tell was not at LEAST a 12 inch driver, just hearing it's low frequecy response. In my car, I hit 21Hz, FLAT! It'll flex my windshield to the point of bouncing my wiperblades. With a 10! ONE! I have three regular mebers (and two not-so-regular) that have heard this system, and will vouch for it's capacity.
Learn when you are outclassed, and/or outknowledged, and learn a little bit before you come back here telling us we are wrong. It's not us.
Oh, by the way? Kicker is worthless in my book... Mass market crapola, skewing the specs as bad as ANYBODY out there, overinflating the numbers for "capability" purposes, and one of the foremost spewers of BS in years!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2009 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
You are so very wrong, my friend... Very wrong. That's called "USABLE" frequency response. That means that in most cases, that is what the woofer can produce in USABLE output. That doesn't mean that it can't produce any frequency outside of that band. EVERY driver diaphragm is going to respond to whatever frequency you put into it, even a tweeter diaphragm can respond to below 27Hz. It can't put any SPL out at those frequencies, simply due to the lack of excursion, but the diaphragm WILL respond. I have a single 10 in my trunk that you would NEVER be able to tell was not at LEAST a 12 inch driver, just hearing it's low frequecy response. In my car, I hit 21Hz, FLAT! It'll flex my windshield to the point of bouncing my wiperblades. With a 10! ONE! I have three regular mebers (and two not-so-regular) that have heard this system, and will vouch for it's capacity.
Learn when you are outclassed, and/or outknowledged, and learn a little bit before you come back here telling us we are wrong. It's not us.
Oh, by the way? Kicker is worthless in my book... Mass market crapola, skewing the specs as bad as ANYBODY out there, overinflating the numbers for "capability" purposes, and one of the foremost spewers of BS in years!
PREACH!!
haemphyst is not the only one who will tell you the same thing. we dont make this up, we just look at years of experience and performance, not over inflated spec numbers that companies use to sell equipment. your L7 might be loud, to you, but that doesnt mean it is a quality, well engineered product. you called me out for being an alpine fan boy in another post but ive never owned an alpine product ever, im just looking at known performance and my past experience.
6thaveme 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
you are righ about that kicker is over rated and in most cases years of experiance will be the final answer over specs from a website...i do agree with you...sound security..but the guy that responded telling us his 10 flexed the windshield and etc im doughting your abilities to make a single ten do those things..listen i beleive a 15 sounds better when producing low bass..through my experience...
4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
that just shows that your "experience" is VERY limited. It's fact that an 8" sub will play just as low as a bigger sub. You just have yet to experience it.
I do not doubt that haems 10" flexes his windshield...its about the enclosure.
Pete a.k.a Hexibase had people thinking he had two 15's and over 1000 watts with this TWO 8" SUBWOOFERS and 800 watts. Flexed his sunroof and hatch.
I agree that you do need to learn when you aren't right and just stop and learn something. There is a lot of knowledge here. People won't respond to ignorant attitudes.
Custom Enclosure Design
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic