icon

memphis audio service

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
house15 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

I purchased a couple of memphis audio 4 channel amps off of ebay(both worked great!)  I had them both tested and NO problems. Then when I finally got around to installing (about a month later) one of them would blow both internal fuses just as soon as it got power! I called Memphis to see about getting it repaired, NOT WARRANTY, (I was offering to PAY) but guess what? They absolutely 100% REFUSED to repair it because I didnt buy from a dealer!! Who turns down money? this is the biggest load of crap I've ever encountered! I dont understand why, especially with such a "bad" economy, someone would turn down work and money! I have been using Memphis audio for years, and NOW I will NEVER buy their stuff EVER again! Not to mention The woman I talked to was VERY rude to once I said I purchased online.

So just a word to the wise......NEVER tell them you bought anything from ebay or any other online retailer, if you do they will tell you to screww off!! Dont get worked over like I did, go with JL or anybody that is NOT Memphis Audio. I now have a $500 amp that is worthless cause They dont want to fix their own stuff!!

Curtis McClure
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

You worked yourself over. Had you bought it from a authorized dealer do you think you would be in this situation? Even if you had not mentioned that you bought it online, you would have had to produce a receipt for warranty and then you would be in the same boat. Why should a manufacturer warranty something for you when you did not buy it from a authorized dealer? Part of the service that you pay for from a authorized dealer is warranty. You screwed yourself when you chose to go the unauthorized route to save some money. Want service, go right back to the guy you bought it from, get him to return your money (good luck with that though) and then buy it from a authorized dealer. Then watch how doors open for you if you have a problem. This is not a Memphis problem at all, good for them for turning you down. As much as it sucks to hear that from someone, you made the choice of where to buy the product from in the first place.

A quick look on the front page of the site has a clear warning about internet sales and a link even for more info on it. I imagine that you are familiar with the site as you are a long time Memphis user. How can you not be aware of the warranty policy when it is in plain view for anyone to see? No sympathy here from me unfortunately. You got what you paid for, you paid for a product with no service, how can that be wrong?

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/internet-sales-policy/

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
I have to agree with forbidden. Ebay is a grey market for the most part. They sell at there cost so they can keep numbers up and receive lower cost to sell in there true retail stores. Making them more money. The price you pay for putting out less up front is in the event of warrenty you are screwing yourself. Also alot of what you see on Ebay that says it is new is actually referbs. Again you screwed yourself by not buying a true new warrenty product. Yes this sucks to hear. But you did bring it on your self buying from an un authorized dealer. This is a good though. Maybe others can learn from your mistake. BTW JL and most other reputable manufactures use the same warranty policy. JL would not fix it either.
memphis audio service -- posted image.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
The company is supporting their dealers and protecting themselves. Buying from an authorized dealer is insuring you are getting an official product, a product that hasn't been stolen and offer correct info/tips on installation. Most important warranty repair, repair and or replacement. The number of knockoffs, black market and gray market products are skyrocketing. I am on the side of Memphis refusing your repair request. If you read in the rules here no links to ebay products for good reason. Read the Memphis Position covered under Consumer Alerts.
You bought products from an electronic Flea Market. More and more companies warn you upfront they will not honor warranty claims or even tech services for items not purchase from dealers.You will find in small print online dealers who are not authorized to sell brands give you a warranty only with them.This is how they sell refurbs, returns, overstock or possibly stolen stuff. Good luck having them honor anything.
This issued from JL:
JL AUDIO products purchased from unauthorized sources carry no warranty from JL AUDIO, regardless of any claims made by the seller. We have no way of determining whether these products are used, refurbished, counterfeit, stolen or otherwise compromised.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

So it's OK for you to screw Memphis over, but when Memphis doesn't want to work with you they are evil? 

Kevin Pierson
stereosales 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
SOOOOOOOO correct guys, thanks for backing up the authorized dealers trying to make a living and supporting their families. While i dont carry memphis this issue comes up way too much.An educated customer is usually going to be the happiest. Play by the rules and we will do any and everything we can for you.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
house15 wrote:

So just a word to the wise......NEVER tell them you bought anything from ebay or any other online retailer, if you do they will tell you to screww off!!

Which is EXACTLY what they should have told you.  A better word of warning might be: NEVER buy gear from EBay or any other unauthorized seller and then expect factory warranty support.

Hopefully you have learned a valuable lesson.

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Does it blow the fuses without power on the remote terminal of the amp?

house15 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
You guys arent understanding me!! I'm not trying to get them warranty it. I WANT TO PAY THEM MONEY, and have them fix it. I NEVER implied that it was anyone elses fault that i purchased from an unauthorized dealer, I just think it is a bunch of B.S. that they wont even take my money and repair it !! And BTW I just sent a SONY radio off to them for repair and they didnt give me a load of crap!! I send it - they fix it - i pay them - they send it back!! What a concept!!!  Memphis is just wrong on this issue, on top of all this, What incentive do they give to buy from them?!? Now you cant EVER sell what you buy from them cause the potential buyer will will say HELL NO cause if it ever has an issue they cant get it fixed!! iF you bought a car from some guy out of state I'd bet ANY amount of money that your local dealerchip wont turn you down just cause you didnt buy it from a car lot!! And dont forget Im NOT talking about warranty work!! MEMPHIS IS WRONG!!!
Curtis McClure
house15 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I dont remember if the remote was hooked up or not? i will check it out. Do you have a possible solution?

Curtis McClure
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic