icon

w6 or 2 type r's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whitemike0110 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
What would sound better in your opinion. Two 10 type r's or one 10 w6. what would be better SQ and what would be high SPL. Thanks guys
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

The alpines would easily win in SPL and depending on the enclosure i would have to say the w6 would out perform the R in SQ.

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
The JL is much more geared to the SQ side. The Alpines will be louder.
Those are both decent drivers, and they'll probably perform similarly, provided they are in proper enclosures.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mannie77 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
2 type r's will give u way more spl just because u have 20 in of air movement rather then just 10 but me i prefer jl i think 2 w6 will kick nice SQ and SPL
mannie
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2009 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
mannie77 wrote:
2 type r's will give u way more spl just because u have 20 in of air movement rather then just 10 but me i prefer jl i think 2 w6 will kick nice SQ and SPL
WRONG...two 10 inch subs is not 20 in of speaker.
AREA is TWO dimensional...not one.
Custom Enclosure Design
mannie77 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2009 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
when speking air movment 2 10s will move double the amount of air then just 1 10....  meaning higher spl yet jl has better sq then the typ r's
mannie
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2009 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
mannie77 wrote:
when speking air movment 2 10s will move double the amount of air then just 1 10....  meaning higher spl yet jl has better sq then the typ r's
Dude... That is SO wrong. AREA does not equal diameter!
I'm not in any mood to explain it to you, suffice to say, you are wrong. End of story. You do the math, treating both as AREA, and you'll maybe learn yourself where you ahve made the wrong assumption.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2009 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
mannie77 wrote:
When you double the cone area you gain 3 decibels ideally. In the real world that would translate to maybe a 1-2 decibel gain by doubling the cone area. 1-2 decibels is not a big difference in terms of percieved loudness.
There are other factors such as the efficiency of the speaker, enclosure, and power that will make a big difference as well in the overall loudness. Combined these factors will have a greater effect toward the overall SPL of your system.
mannie77 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2009 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
yes yes that all true so is the type of the car and ur tuning fq to the box and ported or sealed but im not getin all tech just sayin the u get more air movement with 2 rather then one wether or not its exactly 2 times more probly not...
mannie
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
mannie77 wrote:
yes yes that all true so is the type of the car and ur tuning fq to the box and ported or sealed but im not getin all tech just sayin the u get more air movement with 2 rather then one wether or not its exactly 2 times more probly not...
Well stating that two speakers will have more displacement than one speaker is nothing new to anyone who can add one and one.
Custom Enclosure Design
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic