icon

watts for the buck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2009 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ok im sorry but Ive been researching forums and blogs and reviews and I just am not getting the answer im looking for.
Ive been looking at hifonics, crunch, power acoustik, SPL (kinda), Kole audio, and some Quantum /=. I have a 300$ limit because im selling my T10001bd.
Im starting out with 4 pioneer premier champion series in my truck 350wrms each. But in the future I WILL be changing to the pioneer premier champion pro which are 800wrms. So I would like to get the amp that is capable of about 3000wrms so i wont have to worry about upgrading that.
In my research I have came up with these amplifiers.
Power Acoustik BAMF5500/1D
(There are many Power acoustik amps with the same ratings of 5500 Max & 3200wrms @1ohm) are they all basically the same amp?
SPL GRLA5500/1D
KOLE AUDIO PH1-5500D
I'm very open for suggestions. Just please put a model number with the post. So just about 300'ish$ and i need atleast 3000wrms. I know I can just save the money and get a "bigger better higher quality name brand amp". But Im just having fun with it. Not going all out just want some power for my buck.
I can't hear you!
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2009 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
I guest got the ovn1-5500d "2009" newest one and it pounds my 4-12" Love that amps. well recommend
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Forget selling the T10001bd. While I am HARDLY the biggest RF fan you'll ever meet, it's a FAR better amplifier than any of the swapmeet "replacements" you are mentioning in your post...
Why are you stepping down? (And you WILL be stepping down...) Is it to "get more power"? The RF is WAY more likely to be honestly rated (and better chances of actually being "underrated") than the others. Keep it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
I too strongly recommend keeping the Rockford over either of the others you are thinking about.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  

I've just ordere dthe Hifonics BXI-2408D. so approx 2400wrms (in perfect conditions) and only 329.99 including ship. I had to give up the T10001bd  for 275$ for that Hifonics Deal. The reason I'm going with such a High wattage amp when i only need 1400watts is because of Future upgrades. I am GUARANTEED to up grade subwoofers in the future (ive already sniffed out the upgraded subs). So why buy the BXI-1610D for 250$ if i can buy my one amp thats gonna last me (in perfect conditions) years to come, as long as I dont need much more wattage. 

Also "Efficiency"... I THINK i know how it works. I'm just going to give you a very simplified version of how I understand it. if a amp is 50% efficient then it pretty much need 2-watts (Current*Voltage=Power) from your electrical system inorder to put out 1-watt to your speakers. and the rest is released as heat. does this have any truth to it?

And does a amp draw more current @1ohm then @2ohm or 4ohm if around the same wattage? so say 100wrms (approx) would a amp draw the same amount of current at all of those ohm ratings, or does it become Least or More Efficient as the ohms go down?

Thanks guys. sry so many questions

I can't hear you!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Efficiency drops as the load on the amplifier drops.
Amplifiers are much more efficient at 4 ohms than at 1 ohm.
Custom Enclosure Design
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
And that swapmeet amp you just bought will never make the power it claims to make but the Rockford will always make far more than it was rated. You just made one of the worst decisions you could possibly have made. If you wanted a high wattage amp, take a felt pen and mark 5000w on your Rockford as that is what all those swapmeet amps you listed have certainly done.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

rfhvhtoo wrote:
 The reason I'm going with such a High wattage amp when i only need 1400watts is because of Future upgrades.

The amp has to be functional to benefit you and the future upgrades.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
Efficiency drops as the load on the amplifier drops.
Efficiency drops as the load INCREASES, not decreases...
aznboi3644 wrote:
Amplifiers are much more efficient at 4 ohms than at 1 ohm.
1 ohm is a greater LOAD than 4 ohms.
I know you knew this... watts for the buck -- posted image.
Regardless... Directed to the OP, the amp you have "traded up to" was not a trade up. You threw good money after bad... Seriously. Another perfect example of an unsuspecting audio buyer being duped COMPLETELY by inflated and FALSE power numbers. Good luck with your very bad decision. Now, since you seem to be independently wealthy, how about throwing a few hundred my way, so I can make my house payment?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Class D amplifiers are much more efficient than older class a/b amplifiers.  Class D amps are generally 80 to 90% efficient.  That is why they do not heat up as much as some older amps. Yes, if your amp were 50% efficient, it would take 2 watts of input to get 1 watt to your speakers.

You probably did make a power upgrade.  But when you factor in the life expectancy of the 2 amps involved, not such an upgrade.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic