icon

Blown JBL PX300.4 Amplifier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
y2j514 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2 multimeters of the same brand and model.  1 is just newer.

After you talking about the mosfets before, I was doing some research on them, and apparently your meter has to diode test with more than 3.3 volts.  I set one meter on diode testing, and set the other to read DCV, and it read 2.76 V.  Did the reverse and the other read 2.91 V.  Are my meters ok, or do I need one that does 3.3 volts?

Either way I'm willing to try.  I want to learn more than anything.  I appreciate your help.  I read in another thread that you run your amps in 1 ohm sometimes, even if they arent' stable and then you just fix them if they blow - so I'm assuming you're the man for the job.

Thanks a lot!

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

I have no idea about the 3.3V thing you are talking about.  I am not familiar with that particular amp.  Can you take a picture of the circuit board.  One photo of the top of the circuit board will be fine.  No need to remove any clamps yet.

I remember that thread, I think I was telling him not to do it.  He wasn't hearing that.  SO I tried to scare him into not doing it.

y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
OK well what i was reading about the 3.3 v was not specific to my amp - it was just mosfets in general.  Maybe inaccurate info.  Anyways the thing is completle removed from the casing because like I said I have already replaced those 2 capacitors.  Pics will be up in a few minutes.
y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

Here are the pictures:

1.Superior view of the circuit board

Blown JBL PX300.4 Amplifier? - Page 2 -- posted image.

2.Superior view of the circuit board zoomed (1/2) (The capacitors I changed are the 2 brown ones that are right at the top left of this picture- may be difficult to see the brown)

3.Superior view of the circuit board zoomed (2/2)

4.Inferior view of the circuit board

y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
*subscribing to the thread*
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Bottom photo.  The 8 larger devices are the output transistors.  With your meter set to the diode test function, touch one meter lead to the large area of metal on the back of the transistor, the other meter lead first on the left leg, notice the reading on the meter.  Then move that lead to the right leg.  Notice the reading.  Check all 8 of the transistors, One or two of them will give you a very low reading compared to the others.  Let me know what you find out.  Do not power the amp up without mounting the board back into the heat sink.  You must put all screws back in.  All screws that hold transistors down.  Cover screws ok to leave out.  

If you find the devices that are shorted, give me the numbers on the front of the device.

y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Which end do I consider left?  Because I have 4 on each end of the board 4 are "right way up" and 4 are upside down.  Do I consider left with the "body" above the three legs, or do I consider left with the "body" below the 3 legs when looking at it.  Thanks
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
For what we are doing now, it does not matter.   One or two of the transistors will read very near .000 on either left right or both.   If you do not find any reading close to a short, check for bad solder joints on the small transistors between the output transistors.
y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, so essentially just to brifely go over my meter.  When I set it to diode testing - is I hold the probes in the air it reads 1 on the display - so 1= no connection.  On the diagam "*" means that it gave me a reading slowly kept increasing and after 1900ish it went to 1.

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
With the meter on diode test, hold the leads together, what number is displayed on the meter?
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic