icon

Blown JBL PX300.4 Amplifier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
y2j514 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, so I pulled all 8.  The only one that seems like it has a short was the one that fried.  There is full continuity on all 3 legs with one probe on the backing plate.  The other 7, with one probe on the backing plate the left and right legs read 1 - as in no connection (not 001), and the middle reads 001.

But like you said if I'm going to replace them all - is it really even relevant?

y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
Oh ya - also when shopping for new ones do I need to look at voltage and amperage ratings or are all 50N06 the same?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
It has 2 separate supplies.  You could have gotten away with only the 4 on the side with the bad one.   You need to check the value of the resistor that was directly connected to the leg of the transistor that blew up.  There is only one resistor near that transistor.  There is one resistor per power supply transistor.  DO NOT remove the resistors.  Make sure the one near the blown up transistor is reading the same value as the others.  If there is solder bridged from one joint to another, you need to clean them up.  We need to connect the amp again and I need a DC voltage reading on the resistors that you just checked.  It should be around 5 Volts.  If the one that exploded and the one next to it read lower than the other 2 by it, you have a damaged driver transistor.  DO NOT remove the resistors or the driver transistor.  You only need power ground and remote connected to perform these tests.  You do not have to mount the amp to the heat sink.  Just make sure none of the components touch the metal of the car.
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
50N06 = 50 amp N channel 60 volts
y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, well Its 2:47 am - so I'm going to go to bed for the night.  Will try in the morning.  Have a few questions though.  Considering all the mosfets are out - can I still do the test you said? 

Also I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for - you mention we need to check the resistance of the amp and then mention voltage.  Do you want to measure the voltage drop after the resistor? or do you want Ohms or...what?  Essentially do you want me to check the resistance, or the DCV? 

In that case of DVC, would I just set my multimeter to DVC and put a probe on each end of the resistor?

Thank you so much for your help!

Have a good night!

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
you need to check the resistance of the resistor. Compare it to the resistance of the other 7.    Then in order to check the driver transistors, I need you to connect power ground and remote to the amp (with the transistors out of the circuit)  Black meter lead on the ground terminal of the amp, red meter lead to either end of the resistor, meter set to DC voltage.  Check the voltage on all 8 resistors, either end of the resistor.  Should be very near 5 volts.  If the exploded one and the one next to it are reading less than the other 6, you may have a bad driver transistor.  Post what you find here and do not remove any more parts.  Do not remove the resistors to check them. 
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  

I did not see any thickness specs on your Kapton tape.  The adhesive hampers it's ability to transfer heat.  You really need to remove the adhesive from the tape before inserting on the heat sink.  Acetone works great, in a metal parts bowl or pie pan, pour a small amount of acetone into pan, set a few inches of the tape into the acetone, let it sit for a minute or so.  Acetone is extremely flammable.  Remove it from the acetone and rub the adhesive off with your finger.  You will be able to tell when that section is clean.  Do the same to another few inches until the entire piece is free of adhesive. 

Cut the tape a few inches longer than you need it.  You can wrap it around the heat sink and using scotch tape, tape it to the outside of the heat sink to hold it in place.

y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so I went to the electronic store to get a desoldering pump because I ran out of wick.  While I was there I decided to check to see if they had the 50N06 transistors and he said they do not have them but they have IRFZ44N - which he said were the equivalents.  Are these ok?
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Those will work.  The only thing we need to check the value of the resistors.  If they are below 47 ohms you may want to change them. 

y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
working on it.... im trying to clean those holes where the transistors were so they arent bridged.
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic