the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

banging my head, 1 wire, 2 functions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Whats up peeps.
here is the deal. I have a dodge magnum and have installed steering wheel shifting thru the clockspring. easy now heres the delema. my car did not come with steering wheels controls so I bought some and modded them to use them just for the buttons.
anyway the two outside switches are used to control my shifting up and down.
but here is the twist I only have two wires and i want to use one wire for two functions IE: when one button is pressed it is a negative trigger and shifts, when another button is pressed it throws a possitve trigger and triggers my train horns.
getting the wire to reverse polarity is easy. and done. here is my issue tho,. I need to wire two relays one for a negative to negative throw and the other for a possitve to possitive throw.
wiring the relays are not the issue but not getting feedback is.
I am wiring the relays like this
Negative
pin 85 neg input
pin 86 pos
pin 87 neg
pin 30 output to shifter neg
pos
pin 85 ground
pin 86 pos input
pin 87 pos
pin 30 output to pos train horn valve,.
Im getting feedback becuase the train horn relay has a rest at ground which is feeding back thru to the negative relay
I am trying to get rid of the feedback how can i go about doing this. shall i be doing the 1 k cap, and 10k reistor for the triggers? or can someone chime in.
remember both inputs are wired together to one wire comming from the steering wheel. and the rest at ground is killing me
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2009 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

The issue is obviously the fact that you basically have two resistors (the relay coils) wired in series.

One way to eliminate that is to add transistors.  You can add a PNP ((+) switches it on) and an NPN ((-) switches it on) transistor and then wire the relays to fire off the transistors.  The transistors will isolate one coil from the other and thus eliminate the feedback. 

Kevin Pierson
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
banging my head, 1 wire, 2 functions -- posted image.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  
Notice the Numbers on the relays. The numbers are correct, their orientation with the actual layout of the relay is not correct. I would use 1n4001 diodes.
djfearny2 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of transistors, Can you log onto radioshacks website and get me a part number or two or three,.
AS for the relay diagram Ihave done the diode across the coil pols and feeback is still there.
Ill try it with different relays since the ones i am using have a built in resistor.
Jon
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
KPierson 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

2n3904 for the NPN and 2n3906 for the PNP

banging my head, 1 wire, 2 functions -- posted image.

Obviously a bit more complicated then using diodes alone.

Kevin Pierson
djfearny2 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
hey KP
is the diode on r2 backwords or meant to be that way?
Jon
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
He meant to draw it that way to see if you were paying attention.  You passed.  It is backwards. 
KPierson 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, I messed up, sorry!
Kevin Pierson
djfearny2 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
the only problem i am having is this. remember the two inputs need to be connected together and then connect to a single wire.
that wire throws possitive thru one button and negative thru another on the same wire. when i twist the two inputs together the realys activate. and before I twist the two together it take the opposite signal to activate. Ie relay 1 is supposed to be neg out yet it needs a pos signal to activate. thru the transistor.
Jon
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic