icon

banging my head, 1 wire, 2 functions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

In the diagram above the 3906 will turn on when a - voltage is applied and the 3904 will turn on when a + voltage is applied to the base.  The transistors collector output is inversed from the base input - I'm guessing that is why you think it is backwards.

When you twist the wires together do both relays activate or just one?  Is this with or without the switch wire connected?  When I get home tonight I'll try to build the circuit and see what kind of results I get.

Kevin Pierson
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
both relays activate, and ok ill modify the relay setup
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
djfearny2 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
and ok so the 3096 needs neg to activate so shall i have that one controlling the relay that uses a negative input to negative output? cause the signals dont change the shifter is neg so i have the switch set up to throw neg and the air horns are pos so again the other switch is setup to throw pos.
Jon
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

KPierson wrote:
Yep, I messed up, sorry!

I gave you an out.  

KPierson 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

KPierson wrote:
Yep, I messed up, sorry!

I gave you an out.  

haha, thanks.  I guess I'm just so used to messing things up it doesn't bother me at all anymore to admit it.

Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

djfearny2 wrote:
and ok so the 3096 needs neg to activate so shall i have that one controlling the relay that uses a negative input to negative output? cause the signals dont change the shifter is neg so i have the switch set up to throw neg and the air horns are pos so again the other switch is setup to throw pos.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here.  I think what you are asking is if you should run a ground through the relay that uses the 3906 because it needs a ground to switch and the answer is it doesn't matter.  The coil and the contacts are completely isolate so you can run anything you want through each set of contacts.

Kevin Pierson
djfearny2 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks, and if you can build the setup and see what you get and see if it stacks up to what my outcome has been.
and yes twisting the two inputs together Both relays activate.
let me ask you this..
is there a way to do this without relays as the output does not have to be high current. for either device to work properly.
Jon
djfearny2 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
btw thanks for helping thus far.
Jon
KPierson 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

I hooked it up here at home and I got the same results - it works great until you tie the bases together.

That got me looking at the diagram and we actually have the same problem - voltage is backfeeding through the top transistor out the base in to the 2nd transistor.  I appologize for not catching that when I drew it up.  I'll keep messing with it and see what I come up with.

Kevin Pierson
djfearny2 
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
thanks alot keep me posted.
Jon
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic