icon

what would you choose?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skateit_12 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
So if I'm not mistaken someone said I will barely notice the difference between running it at 2 ohm or 4 ohm. I am finding this very hard to grasp as it is only 600rms and 4 ohm and 1000 rms at 2 ohm. Am i wrong here?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
they mean you wont HEAR a difference. when it comes to subs and all things being the same, if you double the power going to a sub, you should gain about 3 decibels. a 3 DB change, plus or minus, isn't really audible to the human ear in the bass frequency range.
so the power difference between 600w and 1000w is a little less than double so you wouldn't notice an audible difference which is why you should run it at 4 ohms because its the safest for your sub and amp. your AMP will take a 2 ohm load but i dont think your sub can take 1000w to just 1 coil. also like i said, using just one coil will drop the rms of your sub by a little bit because its only one coil which makes it more likely that you will blow your sub.
soundcontrol 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

The MTX 5601 is rated at 300@ 4 and 600@ 2

I would guess maybe a 1000max at 2ohms. I would either consider a different amp to maximize your sub amp setup or series at 4ohms and get 300 to maybe 500watts max.

Do not ever just run one voice coil. It's bad for many reasons and not recommended by the manufactures for a reason.

Just do something
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
soundcontrol wrote:
Do not ever just run one voice coil. It's bad for many reasons and not recommended by the manufactures for a reason.
What are your reasons for it being bad? Whatever they are, you're wrong... We took 15 pages over here to COMPLETELY debunk the single VC option... There is ABSOLUTELY nothing that MANDATES the use of both voice coils.
The link in that article to the PDF on the now defunct Adire website should be linked to this item, here in the member's downloads section...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
skateit_12 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
soundcontrol wrote:

The MTX 5601 is rated at 300@ 4 and 600@ 2

I would guess maybe a <SPAN class=squiggly title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" splc="splc" state="new" word="1000max">1000max</SPAN> at <SPAN class=squiggly title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" splc="splc" state="new" word="2ohms">2ohms</SPAN>. I would either consider a different amp to maximize your sub amp setup or series at <SPAN class=squiggly title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" splc="splc" state="new" word="4ohms">4ohms</SPAN> and get 300 to maybe <SPAN class=squiggly title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" splc="splc" state="new" word="500watts">500watts</SPAN> max.

I am no longer considering the mtx amplifier. I have purchased the alpine v power m1000 which is 600rms @ 4 ohm and 1000 rms @ 2ohm. I am just waiting for the amp to be shipped to me.
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
JL Audio is my choice
01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
soundcontrol 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2009 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Because when people use one coil it is to get maximum power out of an amp like in this case which in return will blow the sub.

If you have a dvc sub that takes 1000watts total(500 per coil) but your amp will only do the wanted 1000watts at an ohm you can only get by wiring one coil your end result will be a blown voice coil. The sub will play and sound good im sure all the way up to the point you get that burnt smell.

Your other debunked topic only shows that a lot of people use one coil and haven't damaged a sub yet. You could start another topic on how running power wire from your battery through a door jam is a great idea and have plenty of people say yeah they have done it with no problem but that doesn't make it a good idea or debunked. If it was intended to be ran off one coil they/manufacture would be the first to tell you that and how great their product is compared to everyone elses. But the fact that none of  them do probably has a reason behind it.

In this situation running one coil would not end well.

Just do something
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2009 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
You're wrong. Straight up... And you OBVIOUSLY didn't read the entire thread.
A 1000 watt, DVC woofer is NOT 500 watts per coil - it is 1000 watts of total energy dissipable by the motor structure. When only running one voice coil on a woofer you derate the total capacity of the woofer by about 20%, (not 50%, as you incorrectly believe) so a 1000 watt woofer will still be perfectly safe at 800 watts, all running through one voice coil. It's a little thing called thermal mass.
Now, he has a 2 ohm DVC woofer, meaning he has two 2-ohm loads. If he were to only use one of those loads, it will be safe at 800 watts input power. Being as it is a 2 ohm load, his amp will make 600 watts into one of the voice coils. You do the math: 600 watts of power being put through an 800 watt sink... That's a 33% buffer. PLENTY of safety margin.
He'll be perfectly safe doing that. Read the entire thread, and learn a little something. There is VERY sound, concrete proof in there, PROVING that it is perfectly safe to run one coil, as long as the MARGINALLY REDUCED power handling is accounted for, and "in this situation", *I* have already accounted for the reduced power handling.
To skateit_12, run the one coil, get all the power you think you will be missing.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
soundcontrol 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

I was wrong about the one voice coil and plesently surprised.

Why wouldn't companies mention that to their customers is crazy. I sent emails to several companies and will post their replies in a few.

It still wouldn't be ideal in his situation because the amp is going to produce about 1000watts. I think it would be cutting it kinda close. If you take into consideration the chance of being borderline on power and not properly setting gains it could led to a short lived voice coil. I would still use cation and consider another amp in the longrun.

Just do something
soundcontrol 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Replies from companies on using one voice coil:

Kenwood

Question  Body: I have a KFC-XW1224D dual 4ohm sub and was wondering if the sub is 600watts rms for both coils would it be safe to run 480watts (or 80% of the total RMS)to just one voice coil and not connect the other voice coil? If no, could you explain why? If yes, could you explain why?

Answer: No, you cannot. You always want to stay within a 15% range for optimal performance and less change of damaging either the speaker or amp. Example: If the amp is 100watts RMS, you can use a speaker with an RMS of 115watts. If you’re running 480watts to just one coil, 300watts RMS, you’ll end up damaging the coil.

JBL same question

Answer: Good evening and thank you for your inquiry. The total RMS handling for the sub is 400 watts RMS for both voice coils. Although it is rated at 400 watts RMS, it can handle a bit more power. You would be find with running up to 650 watts RMS to the whole P1224 sub.

question: Ok, so you are say using one voice coil is a bad idea, even with less then reccomended RMS power?

Answer: It would not be recommended.

JL Audio same question

Answer: We always suggest driving both voice coils of a woofer, it won’t cause any difference in performance but, the woofer will be operating the way it was designed to.

Digital Designs Audio same question

BEST ANSWER EVER:

< color=navy size=2 face=Arial>When you put current through turns of wire, a magnetic field is created, this alternating magnetic field is working against the permanent magnetic field generated by the magnets.  The strength of the alternating field is determined by the input voltage and the length of the wire.  The more wire you have, the more field created.

< color=navy size=2 face=Arial>< color=navy size=2 face=Arial>If you only use 1 coil, the field generated will be less than with both coils, but you won’t hurt anything.  70% power is probably a safer level to play, but clean power is always less an issue than clipped power to the sub

Still waiting to hear from RF

Just do something
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic