icon

what are the top 3 speaker brands?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bombsquad91 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
I'm planning on upgrading my speakers in my '94 BMW 3 series coupe. Right now I have stock speakers with the factory amp. I have a Pioneer DEH-P9800BT head unit. Two Image Dynamics IDMax Dual 2ohm Voice Coil 12's in a slot ported box powered by an Alpine MRD-M605. I'm running it at 2ohms so it SHOULD be pulling 600watts max. I want to replace and amp all my interiors. Currently I have a 10 speaker system. I completely removed my rear deck speakers and left the grills. The cutouts from the speakers act like ports from the trunk. I'm custom mounting 6x9's in the rear panels, putting a 5.25" component system in the doors and the kick panels. I've been out of the game for awhile so my brand knowledge is a little antiquated. What is everyone's opinion on the top 3 brands for interior speakers? Thanks in advance.
".....um, is that wire hot?"
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
What type of Amp are you going to use to power speakers...? There are several brands, but are you hooking everything up to one amp.?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
diamond audio makes some nice components. are you going to custom make the kickpanels? are you wanting a 2-way or 3-way component set?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
The amp you'll be using has VERY little to nothing to do with the final answer to this question. Everybody will have different ideas, this I promise you. Many members here (myself being one of the FIRST to tell you so) will tell you to avoid Focal like the plague, but we get many rookies showing up saying "Focals are the best". Well, my short and sweet to THIS opinion is that "Focals suck". Not that anybody else is wrong, but in my opinion, they suck... Overly bright to the point of being harsh, they just have never been anything that appeals to me, in ANY way...
It's your car. It's even more importantly, your EAR. There is no "best" in any kind of "off the shelf" in my opinion, but I QUITE like the JL VR series. Not the ZR, Dave? No, the ZR's have metal dome tweeters, which Dave hates, in EVERY implementation! (...and, the VR's actually have a smoother mid-range and a better mid to high blend, in my opinion...)
The best suggestion for is go to your local dealers, listen to what they have, and YOU decide. Be certain you take music YOU know well, and buy what sounds best to you. An additional suggestion, if I may. If you hear it there, and you like it there, BUY IT THERE. Don't go shopping "for a better price" on the 'net. Show a little bit of appreciation for that brick-and-mortar being there for you to make your decision.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
While I agree completely that you should go shopping and listen for yourself, I will try to answer your question.  TO ME, the top three prefab component sets currently-available on the market are Morel, either the Elate Limited or the Supremo set, the Seas Lotus Reference RF165f, and the entire lineup from Rainbow.  I have been very favorable impressed by the Alinco series from Phass.  A notch down in price, I second haemphyst's recommendation of the JL VR series and I also like the Eclipse component series.
Support the12volt.com
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Couldn't agree more about the Focal stuff. Harsh is a good description.
Just don't understand all the hype.
Big fan of the Seas Lotus and the Diamond. This is where personal taste and sitting down and listening comes into play. I passed on the Morel Elates for the Lotus. Is one better than another, No. Preference.
Support your local dealer.
bombsquad91 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
I'm probably going to use a 6 channel amp. I'm planning on putting in 3 2-way component sets. Custom kick panels, in the doors, and in the rear panels. The 3 brands i'm looking at are Boston Acoustics, JL, and Kappa Perfects.
".....um, is that wire hot?"
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

bombsquad91 wrote:
I'm planning on putting in 3 2-way component sets. Custom kick panels, in the doors, and in the rear panels. .

In general that is not a good plan.  Kick panels OR doors, but not full sets in both.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Not to mention that the Bostons fit in my "not just no, but NO WAY!" category, and the Kappas are not NEARLY the gear that used to be - back when they were using the ribbon drivers. Today? They're mediocre at best, when asking me what we recommend.
Morel, Seas, JL, Diamond. There's four, and they've come up several times each...
If all you are looking for is SPL, then go with kicks and doors, but if you are going to do that, just go buy whatever two-way system Rockwood has on sale this week. We assumed you were interested in SQ. For a true sound quality install, ONE set, and one set ONLY. This means no rear deck, either. (IMO) Why spend all that money if you are gonna blow any imaging you might get from a high quality separates set?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ditto most of above...So you are leaving speakers in rear/ports open? You said you currently have a 10 speaker system, you are replacing all factory speakers w/ aftermarket minus the rears.? You are putting 6x9 and a set of components in rear? Since your amp has little to do w/ this if nothing(was trying to get idea of what his gameplan was,make mental note to never ask what amp they are using before i recommend speakers). The JL sound awesome. Not a horrible price either. Support your local dealer, WE need it...! The end of Haemphyst post is spot on.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic