the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2 15 or 4 12

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2009 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
i_want_the_boom wrote:

What kind of sound deadening would you suggest? and how many layers im talking bout just for the trunk.

i use FATMAT. its basically the same as dynamat but its way cheaper. i get 100 square feet for about $120.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
I like dynamat extreme but its expensive.
This is what I do for FUN!
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
OH ya, minimum 1 layer, 2 would be nice. The more the merrier. Sometimes it can be beneficial to carefully spray some expanding foam inside cavities throughout the body. A trunk lid is a good place to hit too. Just dont over use it. Simply enough to bridge gaps or fill holes.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
i_want_the_boom wrote:

What kind of sound deadening would you suggest? and how many layers im talking bout just for the trunk.

i use FATMAT. its basically the same as dynamat but its way cheaper. i get 100 square feet for about $120.
Fatmat is only similar to Dynamat and other butyl based mats in that Fatmat has an aluminum backing.
Fatmat is asphalt based.
Custom Enclosure Design
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
soundnsecurity wrote:
i_want_the_boom wrote:

Fatmat is only similar to Dynamat and other butyl based mats in that Fatmat has an aluminum backing.
Fatmat is asphalt based.
it still works and i think they changed their formula anyway to be less asphalt based because the last time i used it was to do my friends trunk and it didn't smell like asphalt like it used to. it doesn't peel off either if you apply it the right way.
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
i always liked the alpine type r's, you can not go wrong with those subs. the price is cheap and you get a lot of bang for your buck. also someone said RE subs were good. you might want to look into no name people. i mean by companys who instead of spending all their money on marketing their product and building up their name brand, they spend it on improving their product and letting word of mouth sell their product. if you havent purchased your amp i would consider the future. i have a feeling that no matter what you get now and no matter how much it hits or how good it sounds to you, you might want more latter on. when i got my first system i got two MTX 5000 12's and a PPI art 600.2 amp. for me that set up sounded great, but after a month or so i wanted more. the thing was the amp was not able to put out what i wanted, so i had to wait a while before i could purchase a better system. the amp is important, if i had goten a more powerfull amp to begin with, i would have been able to upgrade sooner. so get a amp that you can upgrade your subs with later on in the future. you should also look into diffrent boxes, ported vs sealed vs bandpass. with some boxes built correctly you can make 2 12's sound like 4 15's. and lastly you should plan on dynamating your trunk. pretty much all carprices sound like crap without it. i think its embarising to hear a car driving by that is making that noise and you will not only sound good but you will look good, which is what you want right?
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
i had the hifonics brutus and i was not impress. try looking at mmats
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
thanks to everyone for the info i really apreciate it. I still havent decicded on an amp yet but as far as the hifonics brutus amp, what are some of the pros and cons? why were'nt  you impressed? the guy at a local shop sells these hifonics amps and said that they were good amps. He also sells audiopipe amps and speakers, he installed some audiopipe 12" 800watt speakers and an audiopipe 1600watt amp in my cousins car and as far as the bass hits its crazy. I love it, i just want more i want to be louder than him. 
If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
i used it for my L7's and they did not hit at all, i went out and got a kicker one instead with the same output and the kicker one hit much much harder. im thinking the brutus was over rated. kickers amp came with a birthsheet and i kinda do turst that brand and i knew what i was getting with the kicker one. but dont get me wrong ithe brutus was a decent amp, i loved the blue color it does when it lights up and it does look pretty clean. but if you look around and see what people are saying (like a product review site) about any particular amp you are loooking at you can get a feel for what you are spending your money on. i just dont want you to wish later you want more and you will have to spend even more money.  i feel that what you might spend on your brutus amp you can get a little beter quality and maybe better out put.
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 10:33 AM <----I pretty much agree with snhtown's entire post. Especially trunk rattlers....-dont even get me started there. All my vehicles with trunks were so sound proof I had to port to the cab. Bandpass lows were a hit feature at shows. Ported volume levels were good for driving by a high school.2 15 or 4 12 - Page 3 -- posted image.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic