the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2 15 or 4 12

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
i owned a brutus amp a few years back and all i can say is that it was good for the price i paid for it. but, as far as amps go, they are not great amps. they are slightly over rated and cant take much abuse. if you are doing this as a show off system the you will want an amp that can handle some abuse because there is nothing worse than blowing an amp while trying to show off to your friends. you get what you pay for, $250 for a 2000+ watt amp you do the math.
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I dont think I am going to get the brutus amp. Im going to just save a little more money so that i can get a quality amp, but I still have no idea what makes an amp quality. How can you tell just by the specs listed what should i look for?
If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
i can recommend brands such as autotek, US amps, JL, JBL, Kicker(amps only), PPI, memphis, orion, alpine and thats just a few. you just need to not look at price first.
there are not too many specs that can tell you whether an amp is good or bad and as we know, spec are inflated all the time. aviod falling for marketing schemes like "PEAK WATTAGE" always look at RMS.
you can also just look at the build quality, notice the terminals, if they are claiming more than 2000W but the the amp only has 4gauge terminals then somethings not quite right. the only exception to this is some amps might have 2 sets of power and ground terminals so naturally they will be smaller.
you can look at the fuses on the outside. a 2000W amp should have about 80 amps worth of fuses.
also the weight of the amp can also tell you something about whats inside but you would need to go to a shop to get a feel for the amp. big power amps aren't usually very light.
the rule of thumb that a good amp should be about 1 dollar per watt isn't really that true anymore. there are plenty of good 2000 watt amps out there that are around $500 - $700, still not that cheap i know, but like i said, you get what you pay for.
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
I was looking at the alpine pdx amps, alot of people on here are very fond of them. I was thinking of going with the 1000 watt mono amp. with 2 15"  alpine type r's. I think that should sound pretty nice.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
you can do that but you will need to get the dual 2 ohm version of those type R's to keep the amp happy.
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
co-sign
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

I already knew that but thanks for the info. I actually found a jl 13.5w7 for a good price so i went with that. I was thinking about going with the jl 1000/1 amp or the apine pdx1000.1. havent really decided yet, I did want to know if anyone thinks that this one speaker will give out alot of bass and be really loud, or would you go with two? I know that jl is a good product but I know I can find 2 other great speakers for the price of the jl 13.5w7. the only reason I got that one is cause i got it for a very low price from a friend. If I was to get another one I would prolly have to pay over 500.00 at least.

soundnsecurity 
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
that W7 is a beast in the right box. it should be all you need. but it did take 3 of them to beat my single 18 by a tenth of a decibel.
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not looking to compete or anything I just want to be heard before I am seen. Can this single sub do that? I seen some on you tube but you cant really tell how loud it is, it looks like it goes crazy but will it be heard at least a block away? the box that if came with the guy told me it was built to spec but when i looked on the jl website the box measurements are  about 1.5-2 inches smaller on each side than what is recommended. I will hook it up this weekend to see what it can do but i will most likely be building a bigger box, just dont know how big it should be. Does anyone know a link to where i can input the demisions I want the box to be and it can design a box for me. I need like a blueprint on how to build the box.

soundnsecurity 
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
this wont help you with your box design but check out the videos at www.realmofexcursion.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic