icon

python 871xp issues in a honda crv

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
damage 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2009 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

I am a newbie to this site and just started working with cars again recently after a 10 year layoff. I am not that well versed with alarms or remote starters but used to build cars from the ground up so I think I can fix this with a little technical help from you guys (and ladies). Being that the installation and owner's guides offer little DIY info I am at a loss.

My girlfriend has a Python 871XP installed in her 2007 Honda CRV. She primarily uses it for remote start and lock/unlock door features. In reading the info on this unit I believe it has an alarm feature but I do not think that is activated in her vehicle. If it is, she has never used it and I have never seen it used. She has always had issues arming and disarming her vehicle and when she had the issue the horn would start blaring and she would have to step outside the vehicle and use the key to unlock the door to stop the craziness. That hasn't happened in a while but a few days ago her CRV would not remote start or unlock the doors using the transmitter. She figured the problem was the transmitter so she changed the battery...it wasn't. She was able to open the driver's side door and get in using the key but when she tried to start the vehicle it would not start. All lights and accessories worked fine but when she turned the key there was nothing. Since she needed to get to work I just pulled the fuses and diabled the unit all together. At this point she is driving the vehicle but not able to use the remote start or lock/unlock the doors while the car is started.

I am figuring this is a simple issue of the starter being disabled, but why? And how do I correct the issue? I have read through many sites, this one being the most imformative and helpful, but I have not seen anything that will assist me. Obviously I am looking to correct the issue at hand but also looking to understand why it happened and correct it so it doesn't happen in the future.  

I am in desperate need of help! Thanks in advance for any information you are able to provide.

-Damage

hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
what is the current state of the system? is it locking only, unlocking only, neither? what is the status of the LED light when she is trying to start it? I can help you out, but I need a little bit more information.
MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
damage 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks so much for the response.

At this time the system is disabled being that I pulled the fuses. When I put the fuses back in, the LED light blinks at a consistent flashing pace with no sporatic intervals, simply on-off-on-off, etc..  I also cannot lock or unlock the system. There are no features working. With that I am able to use the key to enter the vehicle but once I do I cannot start the vehicle. All lights and accessories come on but the vehicle will not start. It almost seems like the starter is disabled and/or the security feature of the vehicle has been enabled sensing an attempted break in/theft. When I first worked on diagnosing the problem, I pulled the fuses to see if that would at least let me start the vehicle, which it did. Once I put the fuses back in the vehicle started on its own almost like I used the transmitter to start it but I did not. I was able to drive the vehicle at this time but after going through all of the motions again and finally shutting the vehicle down, I was again not able to start, lock, or unlock the vehicle using the transmitter. It went back to the same state it was in before I pulled the fuses. So I pulled the fuses again, checked all connections again, and used the key to open and start the vehicle with no issues. I then put the fuses back in and although the vehicle did not start on its own the time, the result was the same...the unit was not working. So here I am with the fuses pulled and the unit disabled.

Again, thanks for the help. This is driving me nuts.

-Damage

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

have you tried overiding the system using the valet button? if not please do and then follow your manual's instructions on how to reprogram the remote, and let me know how it turns out! cheers.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

It sounds like it is the factory alarm not being dis-armed...It always has set off horn honks, since unit has been installed...?  That key has a chip in it(RFID)...Is there a security light flashing on the dash during the no start problem...? Im guessing she is randomly arming the factory security and when she un-locks the doors and opens ...The car thinks she is stealing it...Putting the key in door and unlocking dis-arms factory security...

Alarm DisarmBROWN(-)DRIVERS FUSEBOX

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  
if all is well when you pull the fuses to the alarm, then it's not the factory alarm.
put the fuse back in and try the override using the valet button. Locate the valet button first. Next, turn the ignition to the ON position, leave for 1 sec. Turn it back to OFF, leave for 1 sec, and back to ON. while in ON, press and release the valet button once. The default setting is one pulse. At this time, the LED should stop blinking, and the system should be disarmed.
Once you disarm the system using the override, try programming the remote. To do this, turn the key to the ON position, press the valet button once and release. Press it once more, but hold it in this time. While you're holding the button down, press lock on the remote you want to program. Turn the key to off and test it out.
If the system still does not response, check the connections to the antenna, and on the CPU. Make sure everything is plugged in. If this still does not work, it may be the transmitter. You can try taking it in to a local Best Buy and see if they would be kind enough to open a new remote, and test it outto see if it is the remote. If it is you can buy the new remote and thank them for their service. They will only carry the Viper version there, but rest assured it will work just fine.
Hopefully this helps you out further.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

Ok...What is causing horn to honk...Stated it was an occaisional problem...said had random problems arming disarming...This is only my first guess to what seems like a poor install. He said unit attempted to start itself when fuses were re-installed...Seems like other problems...But at least horn honks sounds like unit is not dis-arming factory security.I think its time to pull brain down and start following wires...Get install manual...car colors...and start tracing down wires...Anything going to factory dis-arm...How was the unit attached to car(poke and wrap...t-taps...solder)When he pulls the fuses...He would be using the key to enter vehicle...Dis-arming factory security? Did you ever get the horn honks during r/s? or normally w/ un-lock and opening door...?Starter kill installed...? Do what hurley said and see if you can get into/out of Valet Mode. Try to relearn remotes. In no way do i believe the factory alarm is causing all these problems...Just one of them...Horn honks (randomly) while entering car.

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
yes tommy, i think we kinda grasp that fact, but firstly in order to assist him in figuring what tha actual problem is, we have to get the unit that he is currently using, to function hence the reason me and hurleyloser recommended over- riding tha alarm firstly and re-programming the remotes, so we can move on.
burns25 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

Also, I would have to say yes to the starter kill being installed if it wouldn't start with the fuses in and when you pulled them out it would work.  The reason they did that is probably for anti grind.  You guys missed an important thing though, the remote will not program unless they hooked up a door pin wire.  So, best bet is to pull the brain down and see what wires are connected.  You should be looking for the green wire on the 10 pin plug, try tracing it down and see if it is hooked up to anything.  Also if you got the one way remote with that unit try that one and see if that works.  I remember having to replace that antenna many times with the 2 way remote being completely unresponsive.

hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
it should have built-in starter kill/anti-grind if it's an 871xp. also, the door pin should be hooked up since the 871xp is a rem start/alarm combo, but then again, I donno what's going on, if it's a shotty installation, anything is possible.
also, if the car tries to start when putting the fuses in, it's actually expected to be a possibility. these units come shipped with a warning sticker that is supposed to placed by the battery that states the car is equipped with a remote starter and may try to start upon reconnecting the battery cables. Usually a not-so-good ground could be to blame for this happening occasionally when power is reconnected.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic