loose wire harness trick

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rollingrocktx 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys/gals
Just put in a new Pioneer 4100 HU, used the PAC wire adapter for the ford specific. Noticed that one of the pins in loose and the connection goes in out and out for the factory sub.
Is there a trick to makeing that pin tighter? Right now we have it tapped up but that is only tempoary. We dont'want to replace the entire wire harness b/c it is a pain to cut and stat over.
We were thinking maybe a toothpick end would help.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Any jury-rigged solution like a toothpick has the potential to fall out, which simply delays the correct solution, to replace the defective harness.
Support the12volt.com
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

If you can remove the pin completely from the harness you may be able to fix it.  They typically have a small finger that locks them in to place once they are inserted.  That finger can get bent if the harnesses are forced together when the pins aren't lined up.

If that doesn't work, something I just to occasionally do is caretully extract a pin from a similar harness (without damaging it of course) and putting it in to the damaged spot.  This could also work if there are wires in the harness that arn't being used.

Kevin Pierson
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
I just put a bit of hot glue or epoxy
rollingrocktx 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys,
I ended up taking it out and running it up to the shop to exchange it..will take them a few hours to get to the warehouse and get another one, but I didn't want to mess around with it..even my installer said he would rather have a new one vs trying to make that one work.
Thanks again
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
if it were me i would just jump the connection with some wire with a connector in the middle. but thats just me, i got an A+ in ghetto rigging from circuit city universityloose wire harness trick -- posted image.
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
As installers ourselves, we would have made it work. But you took the right path as the consumer and got a replacement.
soundsecurity- how dare to speak blasphemy about the chitty city.lol
rtfm
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
spookiestylez wrote:
As installers ourselves, we would have made it work. But you took the right path as the consumer and got a replacement.
soundsecurity- how dare to speak blasphemy about the chitty city.lol
lol, hey, it wasn't that chitty. at least not to one i worked at, cant speak for others but we had some good installers, only the product was garbage.
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

co-sign

rollingrocktx 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks again guys, got her all installed again last night...hooked it up to the overhead Alpine DVD screen too. works great and we didn't have to drop the head liner again...most of all...momma is happy with it.
http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=441
http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=452
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic