the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

d5000 orion amp/system issues guru neede

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Get your meter out, and tell us what you read when checking the woofers. Did you check the DC resistance of the speakers, as suggested?? My expectation is that there is a mis-wire in there somewhere, and that you are NOT running 1 ohm, but something below that. There could be a disconnected voice coil somewhere. Are all 4 woofers playing? Are you ABSOLUTELY certain you wired each of them in series? All I need to know is what your meter says when you read DCR.
If your AVERAGE impedance is below 1 ohm (and it can be, depending on the drivers) your amp will shut down.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
chargerondavins 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Get your meter out, and tell us what you read when checking the woofers. Did you check the DC resistance of the speakers, as suggested?? My expectation is that there is a mis-wire in there somewhere, and that you are NOT running 1 ohm, but something below that. There could be a disconnected voice coil somewhere. Are all 4 woofers playing? Are you ABSOLUTELY certain you wired each of them in series? All I need to know is what your meter says when you read DCR.
If your AVERAGE impedance is below 1 ohm (and it can be, depending on the drivers) your amp will shut down.
The wiring was done professionally first time, and the second time (in a different car) installed by me, exactly to specs. I wired it just as shown on this website when you enter in 4 DVC 2 ohm subs to a mono block amp.
It's doing the same thing it always did.
the power being cut out may have been a fluke, initially when I tightened the loose remote wire, I may have just gotten used to it.
For the first 2 days I think it's loud as hell, then it seems quieter to me, always. I let the truck sit for a few days and I think it's just as loud, I just got used to it.
Now, I want to fix the clipping issue.
Could it be that the amp just can't handle pushing 4 power-hungry subs?
I think ruling out a wiring issue is logical, because I re-installed it as specs show here, and it does the same thing (all wires were disconnected and it sat for a few months in my garage till I bought a new truck)
Anyway, the clipping is now my #1 concern.
Any way to wire just 2 subs @ 1 ohm (DVC 2 ohm) to a mono block amp?
2006 Dodge Charger show car
2003 Ford Exploder DD
chargerondavins 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
also, I am absolutely positive they are all 4 playing.
Unless the wiring is incorrect on this site for 4 DVC 2 ohm subs to a mono block amp, then it's wired correctly. I checked all connections, still connected and still having the issue.
2003 Ford Exploder DD
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
PLEASE... Just pull the wires off the amp, check the DCR, and report back... Indulge us... We're trying to help you, and if we don't have ALL the information we ask for, we CAN'T help you to the best of our abilities.
There is NOTHING saying that you or even the guy before you DIDN'T make a mistake in the connections. I am NOT saying that you DID, but without the info we request...
Otherwise, to answer the question re: (2) DVC 2-ohm woofers and get one ohm, i't not gonna happen. You can have .5, 2, or 8 ohms.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
chargerondavins 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
PLEASE... Just pull the wires off the amp, check the DCR, and report back... Indulge us... We're trying to help you, and if we don't have ALL the information we ask for, we CAN'T help you to the best of our abilities.
There is NOTHING saying that you or even the guy before you DIDN'T make a mistake in the connections. I am NOT saying that you DID, but without the info we request...
Otherwise, to answer the question re: (2) DVC 2-ohm woofers and get one ohm, i't not gonna happen. You can have .5, 2, or 8 ohms.
Well I know my shop used the meter and said it wasn't quite 1 ohm. but close. 1.3 or something. If I had the meter, I would test it. I'll have to have my shop test it for me some time. I don't own any of these tools :(
2003 Ford Exploder DD
chargerondavins 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
I might also add that I am not the first person to complain of this clipping issue, it's all over the internet.. :(
2003 Ford Exploder DD
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i know this has been beaten like a dead horse but maybe you should try a new ground at a different spot. bare with me, depending on how the floor of your car is put together and the exact position of where you grounded the amp there can still be more resistance than you would want between where you grounded it and the battery. you want it to be as close to 0 as possible if you were reading it with a meter. since you dont have a meter to test then it is all speculation whether your ground is really good or not and when you are talking about an amp with the kind of power output and current needs as yours, it can start to cause problems especially at higher volumes.
chargerondavins 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
ok, i know this has been beaten like a dead horse but maybe you should try a new ground at a different spot. bare with me, depending on how the floor of your car is put together and the exact position of where you grounded the amp there can still be more resistance than you would want between where you grounded it and the battery. you want it to be as close to 0 as possible if you were reading it with a meter. since you dont have a meter to test then it is all speculation whether your ground is really good or not and when you are talking about an amp with the kind of power output and current needs as yours, it can start to cause problems especially at higher volumes.
thanks man, I posted this on chargerforums too, lol.
So where would you recommend I ground it, you too own a 3rd gen exploder, right?
What else should I do to beef up the car to handle this amp/power.
I'm stock now.. Isolator.. how big of a kinetic battery should I have put in? what else?
2003 Ford Exploder DD
edelbrockboy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

i dont want to insult your intelligence but what is this "clipping" u speak of. are you sure its really clipping? what noise are u hearing? distortion?  also your amp cuts off you said... you sure its not overheating? even an amp at the right ohm rating can overheat if u push it to the max.

chargerondavins 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 4:13 AM / IP Logged  
edelbrockboy wrote:

i dont want to insult your intelligence but what is this "clipping" u speak of. are you sure its really clipping? what noise are u hearing? distortion?  also your amp cuts off you said... you sure its not overheating? even an amp at the right ohm rating can overheat if u push it to the max.

You didn;t insult my intelligence, I did. It's not clipping. My friend called it clipping, in reality it just cuts out, then starts playing again 2-10 seconds later, depending on how loud it was when it clipped.
2003 Ford Exploder DD
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic