icon

’97 hyundai tiburon alarm wiring problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
drummerdude 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
I am wiring up an alarm on my dad's car and need some help, I have installed more than a few car electronics before, I got the wiring diagram from this site, and it says some of the wire are in the driver's kick panel, where there are ALOT of wiring harnesses and connectors.  cannot tell which one it is referring to, if I had my guess it would be the only one that I couldn't get to which was stuffed way in the back (so I couldn't check it) please help with pictures, or maybe some more direction as to which harness I need to be splicing into.
I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2009 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have a DMM, if so do what the pros do. You use it to check and test the functions you're after. Why do you think I've more than 10 free T Shirts?
drummerdude 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2009 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
I do have a digital multimeter, but I do not have the time to test the probably 60+ wires. that will work if I knew what harness it was and didn't know the color. thanks for the reply though.
I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2009 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
test it, like howie said. There can't be too many wires colored the same, and i would hate to see a car on fire from a wrong wire hookup.
If i remember right though I did not have to go to the kick for any wires on a r/s, keyless, alarm on my last 97 tiburon. I went to the running board area. Other than that most of them are at the switches. You will have to go to the passenger side for a passenger side door trigger.
drummerdude 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2009 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

yimke wrote:
test it, like howie said. There can't be too many wires colored the same, and i would hate to see a car on fire from a wrong wire hookup.
If i remember right though I did not have to go to the kick for any wires on a r/s, keyless, alarm on my last 97 tiburon. I went to the running board area. Other than that most of them are at the switches. You will have to go to the passenger side for a passenger side door trigger.

first off, telling me the exact same thing is utterly pointless. doing it like the pros, would not include wiring an alarm to the rocker panel when all the wires are within a foot of where you would most likely place the brain. on top of that I didn't have any extra wire on hand so I couldn't have done that even if I wanted to, which I don't, I know how to identify wires, I was asking where in the tiburon the driver's kick panel wiring harness is? that is what I need to know, preferably with pictures. on top of that I don't have a clamp-on multimeter and I am not poking a hole in a bunch of wires to find out what they are.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 03, 2009 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

You strip a small amount of insulation off a wire that is the color you are looking for and test it.  If it is the wrong color cover up the exposed area with a piece of Scotch 33+ electrical tape.  That is how it is done.

Or, if you want to get fancy, get new leads for your meter that have "bed of nails" in them - they pierce the wire with small pin holes that don't need to be covered back up.

Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2009 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

The answer to your last question. Where in the Tiberon the driver's kick panel is?  Try the driver's kick panel. Now calm down logic (and experience) tells us the following:- Generally ign and starter wires will be in the ignition loom, along with indicators and or sidelights and headlights. Brake, reverse lights and door contacts will be in the drive side floor looms*, lock control wires and will be in the kick panels usually at driver's side. There are usually plugs inside the DKP where you can get at the wires without any stripping. Follow these simple rules, calm down, don't blame us because you are too lazy to test, and you will find your answers. Good lord we haven't even gotten to tach or by-passes and you're already hot under the collar.

*I'm talking Oriental with right hand drive, generally, with right hand drive vehicles the main front to rear loom is on the right hand floor loom. The reverse applies to left hand drive.

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2009 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

If you don't feel like testing a bunch of wires then don't do the install!!!  Thats exactly what is required when installing an alarm or remote start or whatever, test the wires and when you find what you're looking for hook it up.  The fact that you've already got all wizy on us is going to do nothing to help you out.  This is a very informative website/forum and there are plenty of people on here that can help you out and that is obviously why you are here.....YOU need help!  Calm down and let US help YOU!  If you're too lazy to test for any of the wires that you need then pay the money to have somebody do it for you. 

Driver's kick panel is exactly where it says it is.....in the driver's kick panel....where your left foot would sit as you drive.  unless you drive with both feet! 

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Constant 12V+     Blue/Black        Ignition Switch Harness
Starter      BLACK / YELLOW      Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition      BLACK/ White      Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2      RED / White      Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 3      WHITE/ Blue      Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory      Blue / YELLOW (+)      Ignition Switch Harness
Tach      Light Blue      Or Brown At Coil
Brake Switch      Dark Green      Brake Switch
Trunk Pin      BROWN / Red (-)      Driver's Kick Panel
Parking Lights      GREEN / WHITE (+)      Driver's Kick Panel
Door Trigger      BLACK/ Blue (-)      Driver's Kick Panel
Horn Wire      BLACK/ Red (-)      Steering Column
You can find your parking light at the dimmer switch is the easiest.
For power locks on this you need a actuator in the driver side door.
And like I said before, but you did not comprehend. To get the passenger side door trigger you HAVE to run a wire to the passenger side or I believe you can grab it at the instrument cluster. But the cluster is a pain in the A**.
Otherwise a domelight trigger will work, but it has delay.
Here is the minimum proper tools you need for cheap. Less than install cost.
Multi-meter
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899
Stripper
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98410
Blades
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39748
Solder and Iron
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47887
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95861
Tape (I would prefer 3M super 33+ as said before)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94066
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Nice post, yimke, the original poster should look at  "Viper 1002 in e36 BMW " in the security section to watch someone listening and taking the right* advice. *Not being big headed but on this site I'm the top BMW man, I've done hundreds of e36/46 and I know them inside out. 
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic