icon

headlights, taillights and cluster out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
If it still pops fuses with all the bulbs unplugged and the radio unplugged you need to use an ohm meter to trace down the short.  If you already cut the tail lights and hooked them up to a battery (and they worked) then you know the wiring there is OK - you basically need to do the same thing for the rest of the wiring (isolate it to a smaller section and test to see if that section is grounded).
Kevin Pierson
xchrisx 
Copper - Posts: 197
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
what else should i test though? and how? it it seems as though I have narrowed it down to 1 wiring harness, its the one i first described on the headlight switch, because if everything else is disconnected but that one and i go to turn on the lights, it blows the fuse. am I right? is it only that harness or could it still be something else even if nothings hooked up?
bp
KPierson 
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
If everything works with the one wire "cut" then the problem has to lie in that wire.  You should be able to measure it to ground and get a resistance reading.  Next, the easiest thing to do would be to find out exactly what the wire does and then start tracing the wire through the car.  Has the car ever been in an accident?  If it has, I would look around the area hit and  see if you can find any damaged wire looms.
Kevin Pierson
xchrisx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
okay, and no it hasn't been in an accident, honestly I am completely dumbfounded on this, I have NEVER run in to this and nothing was installed any different than how I've ever installed it. I was reading up and some people say that this happens when their dimmer switch has gone bad, but still it doesn't account for the headlights not working. I took them out of the harness connector for the headlight switch and was installing the wires from the harness 1 by 1 to see where the problem was and then after doing so, the headlights just didn't work anymore. I have to see where the relay even is for this cars headlights because I can't see it anywhere and I've tried switching the relays around on the fusebox and that didn't work either. any input is appreciated. maybe a diagram on how to hook the stuff with a toggle switch? thanks.
bp
KPierson 
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Have you checked the fuses for the headlight with an ohm meter?

As stated above, you need to focus on one problem or the other - trying to fix two seperate problems at the same time will leave your head spinning.

Kevin Pierson
xchrisx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
no i havent tested it yet. haha i hear ya, it is driving me nuts trying to figure this out, but i will check today and see whats going on. 
bp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

Are you trying to troubleshoot by unplugging things and pulling fuses?  Do you not have a VOM?

Like I said at first, it sounds to me like it's time for a trip to the shop.

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
  Did you mount an overhead monitor?   Is there a lighted vanity mirror in the passenger sunvisor?  
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
xchrisx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
i havent checked with a multimeter yet.  no it was a standalone screen.
bp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

xchrisx wrote:
i havent checked with a multimeter yet.  .

That should have been the first tool you grabbed.  Grab it now and start checking for shorts and grounds.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic