Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eskimo10 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
Car: 1998 Civic EX
Alarm: Viper 790xv
I drive a 1998 Civic EX, and my problem started about a week ago when my Viper 690XV stopped working with my remote. I tried everything I could and eventually believed it crapped out on me and I bought a 790XV off eBay to replace it with. I installed it today, but the remote I got with the 790XV was crap and didn't work, so I figured I could use my remote which was the exact same as the one I just recieved. However, there lies the problem, I cannot for the life of me get the 790XV to mate with my remote (Which is a 478V) I tried what the manual said ("open a door, turn the key to ON, ...etc") but I still cannot get it to work. I unplugged the brain, unhooked the battery, etc, but nothing seems to work. Am I screwed on this purchase too? Or are there any other steps I can take to get this to work? Thanks in advance for your help!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

Honda door switches from the earlier years are famous for rusting and not giving an adequate ground when the door opens.  I have no idea if they changed them by that year.  Does your domelight not come on sometimes when you open the door?  Can you wiggle the door switch and make your light dim and brighten?  You may want to try grounding the alarm's door trigger wire to the chassis to see if you can get it into the programming mode.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
eskimo10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
Well I've been testing my door wire and its fine. I am getting the proper signal and it is tight. I called DEI and the guy I talked to said that the system might be locked by a BitWriter from the dealer and I can't unlock it without going to them or buying one myself. Is that true? Or is there any other way to unlock an alarm without having to use a BitWriter?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
If that's true, you've found one of the problems with buying on flea-bay.  The equipment would have been previously used. They never come locked up from the factory. Any competent dealer should be able to free that off with a bitwriter, but you will have to pay. (Strip parts to reach control u it, plug in bit lead and reset).  N.B. Those Honda sliding door switches can be a nightmare, also expensive to replace.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
When you bought the 790 did you change any of the wiring? If you just swapped brain sthere is your problem. The ignition input on the 690 (alarm only) is in a different plug than the 790 (alarm and remote start).
eskimo10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2009 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
I did change the wiring from the 690 to the 790, so it has all the correct connections for the 790xv. The problem is I can't get it into programming mode. I have the door trigger wire, the ignition input wire (heavy gauge pink wire), the LED, the horn, and the valet switch all hooked up. I open a door, turn the key to ON, press the valet button once, then press and hold it, but nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing some wiring? Thanks for your help
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Did you hook up all the heavy gauge wires, or just the pink ignition wire?
Meter the yellow wire in the remote start ribbon harness. It should read as +12v when the key is on, and 0v when the key is off. If this wire doesn't act as an ignition, it will never go into programming.
eskimo10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I hooked up all the wires to their respective car side wire in the heavy gauge relay set. I metered it the yellow wire in the ribbon and it reads +12v when the key is in the ON position. Anything else I should be checking for? I am completely stumped on this.
eskimo10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
I also have a second question. The prewired starter kill for this alarm didn't come with it. I have plenty of relays and wire, can anybody tell me how to wire a relay so I can have the starter kill? Or have pictures of it? Thanks for your help guys!
eskimo10 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, good news. I successfully entered program mode. But once there I cannot program the remote. I press the lock button but I don't get any response from the alarm and then the remote gives me the three beeps like its out of range. Any way to reset the remote or am I doing something wrong?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic