icon

pro’s vs joe’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  
I have a couple of dealers(anonymity requested) that kick down a sub or two every now and then for me to play with and provide feedback. I built a prototype fiber/mdf enclosure for my Frontier....I was 2 seconds from calling Memphis Audio and asking the reps why they are sticking their name on the reference series subs....reason: expectations not met to say the least...however..I put a 10lb cobble stone in the box...result: Improvement, then another..result: improvement, and then another..result: satisfied. 3(egg shaped, roughly the size of a CD) 10 pound river rocks in my box yielded the best overall sound from a sealed enclosure that we've heard from a single Reference 12" yet. Which sux for the Audio shop because hell will freeze over before they would try such a thing themselves. Now, its on! They are on a mission to drub The roxbox(R).
Keep in mind, results are based on popular opinion from idealistic preferred taste, all educated reasoning for the sound improvements that you guys are thinking right now....were explored and eliminated. Roxbox(R) I doubt anyone can contest it based off 1st hand experience!!!HAH
This is what I do for FUN!
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
oh, here's a pic..
pro’s vs joe’s -- posted image.
pro’s vs joe’s -- posted image.
This is what I do for FUN!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

So, you made beautiful bass, by stuffing the box full of rocks?

What the hell gave you the idea to try this in the first place?

Maybe a BIGGER box, and MORE rocks will sound even better?

mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
The rocks took up airspace made the box smaller?
You should stuff it with pollyfill so the sub thinks its a bigger box.
I agree the pr sub sounds like a high 55hz
The street edge by Memhis sounds way better and hits way lower.
The PRs in a big box do sound very good tho.
That box in the pic is way too small.
For small sealed boxes you need to use the M-class
*By the way that PR sub is 3years old?????
Not a new sub at all
Also What kind of amp and how many watts on the sub?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
ianarian wrote:
Keep in mind, results are based on popular opinion from idealistic preferred taste, all educated reasoning for the sound improvements that you guys are thinking right now....were explored and eliminated. Roxbox(R) I doubt anyone can contest it based off 1st hand experience!!!HAH
I'm calling BS! Nobody's taste is more "idealistic" than mine... (Maybe jfinks and DYohn, but I know I'm on their level at any rate.) I spent YEARS and THOUSANDS getting to where I am now in my car - reference quality reproduction that rivals my home system. I should have just dumped rocks in my doors, and used Audiobahn while they were still in business... All "educated reasoning" DID NOT involve mental examinations. Your "Magic Cobblestones" are either:
A: Simply occupying volume in an enclosure that was too large, (this is most likely)
or
B: You WANTED it to sound better, so it did.
For more perfect examples of this particular "phenomena", please do me a favor and Google "Shun Mook", "Shakti Stone", "Welborne Labs", "MIT Cables", "Acoustic Zen", "Tara Labs", "Nordost", "Alpha Core", "Siltech"... If you want more, PLEASE ask me, I can sell you (and I DO mean LITERALLY) THOUSANDS of snake oils for "HiFi Audio". Thousands of dollars that you can send to me to pay my electric bill, and I will simply TELL you that your system sounds better... and because you are cash-out-of-pocket, you will instantly hear magic in your music.
Dude... The stones did nothing but change the volume of an enclosure a small percentage, which is a perfect example of how critical the correct volume is to get the best performance from your driver. There MAY have been a small amount of some labyrinthine acoustic modification going on in there, but I doubt it was enough to affect it to the heights you so glowingly describe.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
I just sent your post to Memphis and thay said they will start sending Rocks with all the PR subs in assorted packs. lol
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
but what if you don't LIKE rock music?  pro’s vs joe’s -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
but what if you don't LIKE rock music?  pro’s vs joe’s -- posted image.
ROTFL!!!
I guess now it "hits hard"?
My guess is that the box was loose and was loosing a lot of power because it was NEVER properly secured! The stones just added weight to keep the box from rattling.
The Memphis M1 is also only 150RMS.
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Im not a ROCKER,what if your a rapper would you use saran wrap??? LOL
that is the mos ghetto thing ive ever heard of as far as subboxes go,although i did see someone who used a plastic kool -aid pithcer to house an 8" sub
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

+1  The stones changed the volume of the enclosure and how important enclosure size is.  Dealers/installers do this all the time, but with other materials, typically lumber, that can be easily mounted inside the enclosure. If you were to determine the volume of your river rocks and you replaced them with the same volume of MDF, it would sound the same and weigh less ;)

pro’s vs joe’s -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic