Fiberglass Dash How To for my 83 Square B

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deeg money 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I am about to start working on my new to me 1983 chevy c10 (square body). I plan on glassing the dash, doors, and box all from scratch with the idea's for I have come up with for the style I want. I like to keep things clean and simple. I think that looks the best. To much stuff going on looks like $h*t to me. Anyways this week I am trailering the truck to my property and putting it under the car port. I am guessing by wednesday or thursday I should havce picks of the inside right now and by the weekend I will start working on the dash. I plan on running all Alpine Type R speakers and subs along with Alpine head unit and amps. This truck when I get done will cost me around $10000 to finish up but my plan is to have a one of a kind show truck and be in a magazine. Thanks and let me know what kind of how to or any questions you have on glassing. Thanks guys

DEEG Money

Deeg money
"If you cant be good, be good at it"
biggidaman 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
super man can't wait to see your progress!!
Biggi Kustumz home base operation since 1998. car audio should be fun not work!!!!
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

Fiberglass Dash How To for my 83 Square B -- posted image.

I created this on paint on my computer in about 5 minutes. This is around what I want my dash to look like. My truck will be painted a gun metal color with a burnt orange base that shows thru. I want the interior to be the burnt orange, tan, and gun metal colors also. I like to keep things simple so if you would like to give any idea's please keep it simple and not crazy. anyways. The black cirle represents the steering column, the gray circles represent either ac vents or guages, and the dark gray oval represents the cd player. If you have any better Ideas of where to mount the cd player please let me know and I will consider it. I will not be putting a center console in cuz I want the bench seat in the truck for some odd reason. I will also be making custom door panels that remble the dash and I will attempt to create those on paint too. Thanks a lot

Deeg money
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2009 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Here are a couple of pictures I took with my phone yesterday. I forgot to take some today and have got a lot farther on it today. In these pictures I am working on the frame for the dash and figuring out where I am going to stick all of the components like the ac strereo and all that good stuff to keep it as smooth as possible. As of right now I have rounded out the passenger side with a sheet of fiberglass that I made and just bent it around. I have also created the sides for the frame and wrapped the main dash piece in fleece to see how it look and I have a few pieces of the dash to frame to cut to make it all look flush. I will have more on here tomorrow hopefully. Oh and this is just a reminder that this is my first time creating a dash completely from scratch or actually building a full dash for that matter. Let me know what you think!

Deeg money
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  
Sup Deeg, lookin good. I say you kick out a special mount for the deck, and even angle it toward you. Perhaps a array of gauges or something. Center console under the dash maybe? Are you going to contour using ribs from the board on top the dash to the board running across the dash. The guage cluster would look sick if you made it curve around the driver.   Adding dimension will pay off big time later. Quick idea sketch.   
This is what I do for FUN!
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, thanks for the ideas! I have got a lot farther as of right now. I created a piece of fiberglass to lay perfectly over the passenger side ribs of the frame so it's perfectly round. I think I might try and curve the gauge piece in the front of the driver. I am going to create a seperate piece on the driver side with all of the guages that can easily be mounted up and be painted. I plan on having all of the dash wrapped in a medium dark tan and just have the guage piece painted.
Deeg money
biggidaman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
dude i'm diggin where you going with it. just make sure you think ahead of how your going to pull it out and re fasten it later when your don.e always think ahead with every pwic you lay in. if i were you i would have cut out all the old dash and started completly from scratch. but thats me. so far so good man keep it up. pictures pictures pictures!!!
Biggi Kustumz home base operation since 1998. car audio should be fun not work!!!!
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Right now I could easily still cut out the entire dash and I was really thinking about it but I dont really know where to start with it. If you could give me some tips on it I will probably do it. I havent got the the bottom of the dash yet but I have glassed the top part but I can easily cut the part up against the window right now. I am not really a big fan of how it mounts up against the window anyways. There is no time limit on how long it takes me do to having to get a new firewall put in and a ton of sheet metal work around rust spots in the truck so it will be a while before it goes anywhere. Oh and I do have it where it can be taken out very easily right now. I just bolted the piece of wood up so I could figure out where I wanted the braces to go. Thanks and let me know!
Deeg money
biggidaman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

i use an air saw or body saw to cut out the older body cars and trucks dashes. i alwas mount from the sides and i never secure the dash anywhere by or near the windshield. when mine go's in it just lays right on the metal under the dash. and i secure it from the sides. if you go back to my forum you can easily see how i do that part. check it out and let me know if that helps you.

peace

deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Well I decided to take biggi's advice and I cut out the metal dash that was in there. I will be taking pics as a go along. I will try and be as detailed as possible. The dash is still going to resemble the same model that I have in the previous pics but is much more secure and stable and I believe it is going to turn out much better. Thanks guys
Deeg money
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic