icon

Fiberglass Dash How To for my 83 Square B

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
The visor, Im just brainstorming ideas that kind of throw a little attitude in the appearance. The recess factor can be fun to be creative with sometimes. Gives a "meant to be there" accent, for lack of a better term. Wish I had my pics to show. What kind of music you like most? Thinking 18's? I'll guess rap! I like rap mainly, now I can no longer give advice on the forum but Im workin on fibering in 8" or 10" loudspeakers for mids in my rear doors. I want to hear the vocals speaking out a 10" speaker. Opposed to screaming out a 6". 2 horns tweets, 2- 12" mids and 2 15's produced the best sound I ever heard. Not to mention 2 acoustic engineers that got rich off that system. Unique, simple, direct and catchy! Well within your progressing ability too. Thats all food for thought, but think big. Just want to throw that out again to ya!
This is what I do for FUN!
deeg money 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

Dude I didnt think you were actually talking about a visor!! I thought you were talking about something to go over the deck... brain fart on my part.  Yea I do like the recess look and I might give it a shot on the guages. It would be pretty sweet if they were flush with it. Anyways Yea I do mainly listen to rap... But I also like a lot of other music. I just like rap for the bass it produces.  I was looking at the dash and there isnt really anywhere to mesh in any speakers but I do havce plenty of time to decide what my doors will have in them and plus I can add anything I want to the headliner and A pillars. I am not very knowledgeable about where to put speakers or what kind to install. I usually just listen to a ton of bass with all of my other vehicles. I would really like for this one to be pretty amazing with the sq.

I am planning on getting the Fi hq series 18's just to have them cuz I have never owned an 18 before and I think it woudl be pretty sweet and they are a great price too. Yea I do want four of them. I dont plan on listening to it full bore all of the time though mainly just to have them there cuz I can!! I would happily except any advice about speakers, what size, where to put them, and manufacture. But dont go telling to me buy some $600 components cuz I am not going to buy them... LOL. Thanks

Deeg money
"If you cant be good, be good at it"
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
looks like its coming along nicely. I really wished u upgraded that kenwood though...
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
HAHA yea it def isnt the last one I will have in there. I have so much to do to that truck its rediculous. I didnt feel like spending 3 and 4 hundred on a deck right now when the truck itself doesnt even run yet. When I get my 4 18's I will upgrade just about everything atleast audio wise! trust me Im not a big fan of kenwood but it was cheap and reliable... so I bought it... it was only $69.00 off of onlinecarstereo. lol but thanks for the post
Deeg money
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Your goin for show right? Judges fancy attention to detail, savy? You can fab a relay station. Since each 18 may need its own amp, set up a switch/relay config so you can toggle the use of each 18 individually via a switch. Then only play the amount of subs desired at any given time. Kapish? Wow, if I was your neighbor I'd be over all the time talkin your ear off. I wish I could physically help you. Tid be a riot!!
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

Thats a sweet Idea. I might have to put that in somewhere... I actually already know the perfect spot for it. On the lower part of my dash I am installing the ac unit, windshield wipers, and the headlight switch. I can just add it right now and it would be very easy to get too. Lol Yea I wish I had a buddy here that was into fabrication and stuff like I am... but thy're not. The only person interested in it is my girlfriend and I can tell she doesnt really care. lol   I would like to put it in some shows when Im done. But that will probably be a while. Around a year Im guessing so thats not too bad.

Deeg money
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2009 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys whats going on? I was wanting to get a few opions real quick. I can always paint the dash but I am kinda wanting to be a little different. I already know about ten or more cars in jax that have painted dashes that are all decked out. So I was thinking that instead of painting the dash I am going to wrap it in Black vinyl and the smaller piece that holds the guages I am going to wrap in an orange colored suede. My Grandma does custom upholstery on furniture and has been doing it for around 20 or more years and just so happens to be coming into town later this week. She has offered her services and said she would be happy to show me the ins and outs of upholstery so I think I am going to give it a shot. Plus if it doesnt turn out how I like I can always rip it off and do a little touch of work and paint it in the end. Anyways give your opinions freely just dont make them far fetched or pointless. Thanks guys 
Deeg money
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

here are some new photo's that are from today! I have built rings to house the ac vents properly and secure them into the dash. I have also glassed the massive hole I had created for the steering column to slide in and out of. Now I have to create the new hole so I can fit the steering column in for a nice custom look. I also have worked on the guage and headunit piece a little bit. But a little bondo on to smooth it out and now Anther coat to keep the smooting process going along! I also ordered the Vinyl and suede today? Hopefully I wont be a big waste of money.

Fiberglass Dash How To for my 83 Square B - Page 5 -- posted image.

This one looks really bad. I put way to much hardner in and when I was trying to put it down a piece of fg mat got in it and was making it hard to deal with. To top it off it started to harden when I was still trying to put it on.

This is the middle ac vent. It went on nice and smooth and looks a ton better...Next!

Starting to come together. Here is the last one. I just put the piece on and secured it. The AC vent is still in there waiting to be pulled out once bondo is hard.

Here is the glassed piece I was talking about. To do this I put a bunch of masking tape on the out side of the box and then glassed it from the inside. When it was hard I flipped the box over and put a little more on to make it as even as possible with the rest. I am still contemplating laying another coat of glass across that half of the dash just to make sure it is sturdy.

here is the guage piece with the second coat of bondo. I cant wait to hand sand this. Yippy!!!

Deeg money
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Paint can look the best, everything has to be done perfectly to be worth it. However, Is that not the very last thing you'll do? Like after everything else is complete?
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
Well I think I am actually going to vinyl the main piece in some really nice black vinyl and the smaller guauge piece do in a turquoise color. I was going to do orange but I just saw an orange and white c dime driving down the street and another orange and white olds 442 so I decided to ditch the orange color. I havent really seen anyone with a turquoise and black vehicle and I know I can get  turquoise suede and paint from. Plus I think it could have a great classic look with black turquoise and cream colors.
Deeg money
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic