icon

box too small?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2009 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
so what exactly your trying to me? i need a new amp? new sub? did you see the box that its in? im not getting the lows with box, and im not sure if its the box that im having the problem with.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Tough to say, I've seen/heard a JL 12 travel the furthest for a single sub. The box was solid oak 1" thick. Probably the exact spec size recommended, if smaller. It came from a Mustang hatchback with a old school 250X2 amp, that was top notch of the time. Decent equipment and a really good sealed box are essential. However, my Integra has 2 12" Pioneer IMPP, a old ass JBLGTQ400 200X2 amp, MTX 3-way X-over 2.0-ft3 separated. I get a block travel from that. Subs face toward the rear and the box wedges into rear seats. BTW its a hatchback. Bottom line, multiple subs, unique box and high output.
This is what I do for FUN!
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 92 dodge daytona hatchback with one 15" re audio xxx and hit 151 db with a legacy 1400 amp. It was a crap amp but hit really hard. That amp even though it was a pile of crack still works. You can hear me 2 city blocks away easy. I miss that car wish I has that car with the system I have now (insane). The lows are not hit might be both the sub or the box, Try a better box first from 35hz to 40hz is a good range for lows or even lower maybe then if all fails then get a better sub. But I would start with the box first then the others But that's just me
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
ianarian wrote:
Bottom line, multiple subs, unique box and high output.
so 2 subs with the right box would be good right? what do you mean by high output? thanks.
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  
I've never heard sound at 12-16 hz before. Are those not sub-sonic? Imupabove- as of right now, vibecustoms suggestion of a box is probably the most logical. Since you have a amp and speaker already. I wouldnt recommend another sub on that amp. My integra had 2ft3 per sub. Everyone will say thats too much. Well, when people constantly just walk up out of no where and say, Dude...that system sounds friggin good! Then too big my @$$. Some people know it when they hear it. You know they know by the way they say it. The comments began after the MTX electronic X-O, (hint only). You need the proper structure in the enclosure to ensure that the speaker does not waste any energy. If you pressed a speaker in, it took like 10 seconds for it to return to position. Thats how sealed it was. My box was cut with a table saw. It was assembled, glued and clamped. No staples or screws. No joint sealant on the inside. It never faltered. The high output I referred to is a products capability that I have judged over the years that does not involve ratings of watts, volts, amps and so on. The only consistency I've banked on is Speaker impedance taken with a meter. Some brands just play louder and better for reasons that I havnt ever figured out. (Opiniarian) Alpine amps just do not do what Arc Audio can. I just finished full systems in 2 different wake boats. 1 is Arc Audio, the other is %@^#$!&>. The Arc boat, well lets just say they have "the system". Arc wont sell to me wholesale by agreement with dealers. So they sent me a ton of Stickers, shirts, posters and keychains and so on. $$10,000 it cost them to be the loudest boat on Lake Berryessa. Oops sorry, rambling on, I hope the idea is setting in about how you can achieve your goal. I cant tell you to go buy this, or that. I can say that 1 12" sub in a prefab box with 1 M-500 isnt enough. A line driver and box will do wonders. Above all, protect your ears, its the best advice you can receive on this forum, EVER.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 4:49 AM / IP Logged  
line driver? what is that? how would that help?
man i know its the box. its too small. or the port is too small. i know its the box bro. i just need someone with experience or know what they're doing to build be a ported box. i know for sure i aint messin wit my local audio shops (rippers).
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Build it your self with the right tools and a cut sheet you should be good. Check specs of the sub(s) and measure the room of the car you are putting in and make a box to fit the space. If you need to design something for you. Just takes time and some tools.
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
okay.. . when i measure my trunk where do i go from there?
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Line drivers plain and simple, boost the signal level from the source to the amp. Google it for info. However, most are technical devices and seem to be unpopular.   Post pix of your box as your building it, Im going to start a box right now too. Also, can you remind me what vehicle, deck, cable/fuse sizes and other amps you are using right now?
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
where do i connect the line driver? between my deck and amp? i do not know how to build a box. i dont even have the right tools. here is what i have.
idax200
mrp-m500
12" alpine type r
rf punch 240x4
6022i's
sps-69c3's
rfc1d
4 gauge wire; from battery to cap
4 gauge ground; cap to chassis
(2) 8 gauage wire; splits to mrp-m500 & rf punch 240x4
mrp-m500; 4 gauge ground
rf punch 240x4; 8 gauge ground