64 impala wagon viper 771

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rawcustumz 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

Whats up guys.

I did most of the install today on the wagon for the Viper 771vr.
I didnt find a couple of things though.
1. Starter Wire?  I know where it is under the hood but I would rather catch it inside for a cleaner install.  Any idea what the wire color is?
2.  I found parking lights at the switch but it doesnt work as a neg or pos when you change the jumper?  I was thinking maybe I needed to use some relays possibly.  If so can some one point to a diagram, im still a little foggy on relays.
3.  Power lock wires.......LOL, j/k Im adding acuators later on all 4 doors.
The only other thing is has anyone done a remote start on a carburated engine before(i know some of you have).  Is there an acuator or a solenoid that can be used on the accelerator rod to give it a couple of pumps before starting, kinda like what I have to do before I start it with a key?  I was thinking a trunk pop solenoid but wasnt sure, if so can someone point me towards a web site that would carry that?
Other than that I think I got it but I maybe back with more.
I aquired the wagon in March of 09 and started with dropping a 350ci engine matted up with a th350 trans instead of the 283ci that had a 4spd manual.  It was suppose to be a stock power glide but someone put a 4spd in it and it was rigged bad, so bad it wouldnt shift at times.
I also had to add a radio, I made a temporary center console that holds an old pioneer flip out, ipod and 2 cup holders.  I will do a new one once I get buckets and the new center console will blend in with dash and end in the back seat.
Runs good now and shifts fine so time to get to work on brakes, exhaust, interior and a ton of body work.
Thanks for your time
Bernie

64 impala wagon viper 771 -- posted image.

Bernie
MECP Certified
64 Impala Wagon
2007 Camry LE
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have done a few remote starts on carbureted vehicles but it has been quite some time. The last time I did one I used a trunk pop solenoid activated by an auxiliary output, press the aux twice, activate remote start. The biggest problem with these is that the motor/carb/choke/etc have to be properly setup. If you can get into the car now, press the gas twice and the car starts and stays running you should be fine. However most carb'd vehicles don't start that easily, especially when cold.
The starter wire is probably purple, but verify this PRIOR to hooking into it. The parking light wire is probably brown, and positive switching, what does your meter show you when you test the wire you think is the parking light wire?
Good Luck with the Resto!
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
rawcustumz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

Twelvoltz wrote:
I have done a few remote starts on carbureted vehicles but it has been quite some time. The last time I did one I used a trunk pop solenoid activated by an auxiliary output, press the aux twice, activate remote start. The biggest problem with these is that the motor/carb/choke/etc have to be properly setup. If you can get into the car now, press the gas twice and the car starts and stays running you should be fine. However most carb'd vehicles don't start that easily, especially when cold.
Thats true, sometimes I can get in pump gas twice and be on my way other times i have to hold gas and crank at same time and sometimes that might take a couple of tries.  I really need to check my timing still its not dead on just yet.  I will test for that starter wire.
The starter wire is probably purple, but verify this PRIOR to hooking into it. The parking light wire is probably brown, and positive switching, what does your meter show you when you test the wire you think is the parking light wire?
When testing the parking light wire at the switch, its at 0 when off and goes to 12 when on.  I had the jumper set to postive because i thought thats what it was but it didnt work so i changed the jumper to neg and still doesnt work and the fuse is good.
Good Luck with the Resto!

Thanks for the help so far

Bernie

Bernie
MECP Certified
64 Impala Wagon
2007 Camry LE
rawcustumz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

Got the remote start working.  Right now its on Voltage sense w/ Low Voltage set.  Going to change to tach since if I try to remote start it and it doesnt start it doesnt relize that and then just stays on and than the battery dies.

I am still having no luck with parking lights though

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Bernie

Bernie
MECP Certified
64 Impala Wagon
2007 Camry LE
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
It will start when you program to tach, but it will die immediately! Leave it set to volatge sense and take the engine checking off, and voltage threshold also at low! If it still shuts off after a few seconds, you could use a tach inductor from dei, alot easier and safer.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Have you checked the suspect parking light wire with a meter?
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
rawcustumz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

Yes sure have and it reads, 12v when I turn them on and back to 0 when I turn them off.

i just wasnt sure with the age of the car would I need some relays, I know on some cars you need relays to get parking lights to work

Any ideas

Thanks

Bernie

Bernie
MECP Certified
64 Impala Wagon
2007 Camry LE
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have it...If there is a dimmer,go up/down on dimmer and see if voltage changes...If it doesnt have a dimmer switch...Or doesnt change voltage...Your all set...! And worst case...You can always go to the Parking Light itself...Sometimes is faster then looking in car...! And what system are you putting on there...If it has a + output for Parking Lights...You should be fine...! Dont think a relay is in order...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
On some cars you might have to isolate the parking light wire...on others...just convert polarity...! Most older cars(Although i have installed about 0 r/s's in a 64 impala wagon...!) are pretty straight forward...just make sure it is not the dimmer wire...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
rawcustumz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I didnt think of that, I will check the to make sure its not the dimmer wire because the dash lights do dim.

The only thing is though I have checked all the wires in that harness and none of the others provide a 12v at rest or when I turn on the parking lights.
Let me check again
thanks guys
Bernie

Bernie
MECP Certified
64 Impala Wagon
2007 Camry LE
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic