the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

turn on/off neons with remote or switch?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sigman70 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2009 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

Hello!  I currently have the following setup in my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - Streetglow underbody neon kit, hooked up via a switch with a relay (see picture below).  Right now I'm able to turn the neon lights on and off by either the switch or my remote car start aux button. What I was wondering is could this setup be modified so that if I turned on the lights by the switch, I could then turn them off by the remote (and visa versa)?  So if let's say I were to turn the neon lights on via the switch, then later I realized that I forgot to turn them off, I would like to be able to turn them off from the remote.  Any help would be appreciated! :-)

turn on/off neons with remote or switch? -- posted image.

sigman70
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2009 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
You could do it via a relay, but you would have a constantly latched relay while the engine were off. Cheers.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
sigman70 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2009 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

t&t tech wrote:
You could do it via a relay, but you would have a constantly latched relay while the engine were off. Cheers.

Thanks for the reply!!  So what you are saying is basically my battery would end up being drained pretty quickly?  I should have mentioned that I'm a total newbie at this...I had help from another forum in coming up with this current setup.  I've been trying to get someone to show me with a diagram how I would go about changing this setup to do what I mentioned in my first post - but from what you are saying, it sounds like this wouldn't be a good idea? 

sigman70
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

What about if you just hooked the cabin switch up to switched power?

That way, you could never leave them on because the inside switch was left on, but you could still turn them on with your remote?

You could also add a 2 input  XOR gate (exclusive OR).  You would wire the output of the switch to one input and the output of the relay to the second input.  You would then need a transistor on the output of the XOR driving a relay.  This output relay would then drive the lights.

An XOR gate works like this:

Input 1     Input 2          Output
   off              off                   off
    on             off                   on
    off              on                  on
   on              on                   off
So, if you left one on input on simply toggling the other input would turn the lights off.

Kevin Pierson
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2009 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

There you go, Kevin has a way of making thins work, doesn't he!turn on/off neons with remote or switch? -- posted image.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
jaketime81 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2009 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
there is a way to do what you want to do but you would have to change some things in your current set up. get a relay modual called ptr7. you can have your negetive output of your alarm trigger it to turn on and off your neon. if you took your switch and got one that throws a ground real quick you can have that switch activate the ptr7 to turn on and off. now seeing that both the switch and output of the alarm are on the same wire on the relay modual it will turn on when it sees ground and off the next time it sees a ground no matter were its comeing from. giveing you exactly what you want. also depending on your alarm you may want to put i diode on the output wire so the ground dosent back feed into the alram its self.
jake
sigman70 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

Kevin, thanks for the reply!!  I'll be honest, I had no idea of what a 2 input XOR gate was, so I had to Google it. turn on/off neons with remote or switch? -- posted image.  I think I may have found what I would need here:  https://www.electronicthinking.com/inventory/12826-quad-2-input-xor-gates-74ls86.  Can you tell me if this is the right part?  Would you also be able to tell me what transistor I would need (this same site has some, but I'm not sure which one I need).  If you have any suggestions on any places that might carry these parts locally (i.e. like a Radio Shack, etc.) that would be great, but if I have to get them via the internet that's fine.  It sounds like I would need another relay as well, correct?  After getting all the parts, I'll probably need to ask if I have everything hooked up right (I'll change my picture to reflect this setup) if you don't mind.  Thanks again for the reply!!

Jake, thank you as well for your response!  I looked up the PTR7 - that looks like a pretty neat modual!  I might go down this route if I can't figure out the XOR gate as this way is going to be cheaper.  Thanks!

-Dave

sigman70
KPierson 
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

Look in to this XOR:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=296-2047-5-ND

It can tolerate voltages up to 18vdc so it should work great in a car.

For a transistor you can use a 2N3904.  You'll also need a few other components (like a diode across the coil of the relay and a resistor between the output of the XOR and the base of the transistor (like a 470 ohm).

Kevin Pierson
sigman70 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Kevin for the link!  I'm putting together my list of things to get - is there any particular diode I need for this?

- Dave

sigman70
KPierson 
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
just a 1A rectifier diode will be fine. 
Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic