viper 5901 won't rs on 98 integra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gpspro 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hello experts,
I'm sure there are tons of remote start issues in this community forum. However, after spending hours of researching and reading, I still couldn't find the answer for what I'm looking for. So I hope that someone out there who has experienced installing Viper 5901’s on 98 integra's could please help.
I did exactly as what it said in the Viper Responder LC Model 5901 Security and Remote Start Installation Guide:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/downloads.asp?srch=all&term=viper+5901
Here is how my connections look like:
Remote start input - 5-pin connector:
====================================
1. BLACK/ WHITE [(-) Neutral safety switch input] to EBRAKE wire (@ebrake switch). I don't remember the color because I've already put the console back but there is only 1 wire to the switch (I think it's GREEN/ BLACK).
2. VIOLET/WHITE (Tachometer input wire) to BLUE (ECM @passenger side kick panel, middle 31-pin connector, the BLUE wire comes out from pin 2 if viewed from the wire side of female terminals, this is the crankshaft position sensor wire). I also tried to hook it to one of the injectors uncommon wire (Normally YELLOW/BLACK), so I picked RED - No.2 FUEL INJECTOR @ the ECM 32-pin connector (pin 3 if viewed from the wire side of female terminals).
3. BROWN [(+) brake shutdown wire] to GREEN / WHITE (@Brake Pedal Switch)
4. GRAY (hood pin switch input) to GRAY (Hood Pin)
H3 (Heavy Gauge, 10-pin connector)
==================================
1. PINK (Ignition 1 input/output) to BLACK / YELLOW (Ignition Switch Harness)
2. VIOLET (starter output) to BLACK/ WHITE (Ignition Switch Harness) Starter side
3. GREEN (starter input) to BLACK/ WHITE (Ignition Switch Harness) Ignition switch side
TACH was learnt as per instructions for manual transmissions:
1. Start the vehicle with the key.
2. Within 5 seconds, press and hold the Valet/Program switch.
3. After 3 seconds the LED lights constant when the tach signal is learned.
4. Release the Valet/Program switch.
As well as remote start activation (many attempts have already been done) as per most people recommendation (all doors, trunk and hood closed, start engine, put gear in neutral, pull ebrake, release brake pedal, press the remote start button on the transmitter, shutdown engine, remove key, open then close driver's door, etc.)
So that's what I have but RS still won't work. All I heard from my remote control was a long beep and ERROR on the display. I believe I got 7 flashes which means Manual transmission mode is enabled and not initialized. Unfortunately, the installation guide won’t give you further information on how to fix it.
I also tried the others' recommendations, i.e. leave the key in the ignition switch at different positions, depress the clutch, then try to RS. You know this is not what I wanted to do to RS my car. Just wanted to try to see if I had any issues with my connections or not. None of it works. Well, I'm willing to try everything now if anyone has any more suggestions.
The only thing I haven't tried is to connect the PINK and BLACK wires together at the clutch switch to bypass the clutch. The reason why I didn't try that was because I have talked to a Viper Sales representative before and he told me that for 98 Integra's there are no clutch bypass modules required. And also there is not a single word mentioned anywhere in the installation guide above about this. Other models like 791 XV also did not mention about clutch bypass. So I thought, they appear to be all the same, correct me if I’m wrong.
Any help on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. Please don't tell me to make sure the connections are clean and good.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

Does your car require the clutch be depressed to allow starting?

Try programming the unit to automatic transmission mode!

Also ground that black and white neutral safety wire temporarily whilst performing r/s tests!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Also have you initialized the manual tranny mode as per the instructions on the install booklet?
gpspro 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
It's manual so yes the clutch needs to be depressed to start.
and yes, it's been programed to be in manual transmission mode (this is the default setting anyway. However, just to make sure, I have reprogramed it again).
Thanks but that doesn't help.
gpspro 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone?
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

Well to start with you need a clutch bypass! Otherwise it never will remote start! Secondly i didn't mean if it was programmed to manual tranny i meant if you initialized the sequence described in the booklet!

Thirdly here's a test, programme the unit for automatic tranny depress the clutch manually, ensure you're out of gear and initialize remote start with the remote and see what happens!

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  

I would personaly reroute those power supplies to either the battery or the engine bay fusebox. The ignition feed's on a 50amp fuse in the engine bay and I've seen these fail on Hondas. Other than that t&t has given you the correct procedure. N.B. Whatever DEI's techs say, if you need to depress the clutch for normal start then you need to bypass the clutch switch. I think you should take your starter feed to the clutch switch output rather than the ignition lead starter wire (BLACK/ white), but check on this site under vehicle wiring, it might need a relay. Also have the steering column cowling removed and see if this vehicle has a transponder immobiliser, no one's mentioned by-passes, I don't think so because that vehicle wasn't sold in Europe until 99.

Sorry about the clutch switch but they don't have them in Europe except for small Toyotas.

gpspro 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2009 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
Can you tell me what the difference is between having the clutch electrically vs physically bypassed? I tried to physically bypass it then pressed the start button on my remote and it did not work. So do you still think I should put in a relay at the clutch switch and bypass it. Oh do you know if I can bypass it somewhere else other than at the clutch switch? I'm not sure if I still have a transponder immobiliser or not but I can find out. I remember I have yanked the old alarm out completely. It was not a factory alarm and I'm not sure what the brand is. Thanks.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2009 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
There should be a switch similar to a brake switch on your clutch. It wil be wired either of the following 2 ways. Neg (ground) in and ground out when clutch is depressed.   In this case diode a feed from your stautus ouput wire to the wire that goes to neg when you press the clutch pedal. Or Pos or starter feed (BLACK/ white) in and pos or start out on depressing pedal.  If in  the second case you get a start signal when pedal depressed and key turned to starter, then that's where you join your starter leads, green and purple from the remote start. I take it normally the vehicle won't start unless you depress the clutch pedal. Sorry I can't be more explicit but we don't have clutch interlocks over here. The other thing I was thinking of was key-sence. There's possibly a wire at the ignition which changes it's polarity when the key is inserted and this needs to be addressed to make the vehicle think a key is in the ignition before starting, not sure if this apllies. I've done loads of late 90s Honda Civics Preludes and Integras and never had any problems. 
gpspro 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Seems to be a little confused. Here's the clutch switch circuit for my car.
viper 5901 won't rs on 98 integra -- posted image.
I unplugged the clutch switch and tried to start the engine with the key with the clutch depressed and I could still start it. Why?
I found several methods of clutch bypass from the following website and I'm not sure which method actually applies to my car:
http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/images/install_notes/146.jpg
http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/images/install_notes/107.jpg
http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/images/install_notes/119.jpg
http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/images/install_notes/120.jpg
I used a Digital Multimeter and measure the voltage at the clutch switch and it turned out all negative with and without clutch depressed.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic