the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5901 won't rs on 98 integra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Please post your results.

suzuki7 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2009 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
The seven beeps, means it did not see the safety steps needed...Sometimes that unit is fussy.  In car with engine running in neutral and brake pedal depressed, then put emergency brake on.  The unit must be wired to the emerg brake, and NOT to a full time ground, or it will not work.  Then hit start button on remote, it will beep, and you can take foot off of brake and turn key off and remove.  Vehicle should still be running, and see you get out....MUST be wired to door switch.  While out of vehicle...it should still be running...then shut off with remote.  Any door entry cancels next possible rem start for safety..  Make sure emerg brake connection sees ground when brake is on.
The best way to predict the future is to create it!
gpspro 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, here's the final result. I followed exactly what moonliter has suggested and it worked great now. Thanks a lot for your information, moonliter. However, there seems to be a little issue here. My 2-way remote control won't hold the remote start activation permanently meaning I must activate it again before I can R/S next time. To activate it I have to start the engine with the key, pull the ebrake, release the brake pedal, take the key out and exit the vehicle, etc. I thought I would only need to activate it once. Do you know if Viper 5901's are supposed to work like that by design? If not, do you know if there is a way to leave the R/S activation ON permanently?
moonliter 
Copper - Posts: 322
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

I don't think you have any issues here. You have to carry out all those necessary steps for next remote start before you leave the parked vehicle with the engine still running. You have to live with it and there is no way around it for a manual remote starter. See page 28 in your owner manual.

gpspro 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
Right, page 28 says that you must set manual transmission up before the next R/S can work but it doesn't say that you have to do every time before you exit the vehicle if you want to do R/S next time again. Since you have confirmed that this is how this R/S works, I guess I have to live with it. I don't know what other people out there think, but I feel it is very annoying.
Thanks.
suzuki7 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
The whole reason for the "Procedure" prior to remote starting is Safety.  This is a way for the unit to ensure that the vehicle is in fact in neutral.  Any door opening cancels it, because then it can not be sure it is in neutral.  The only way to by pass it is to set it up as automatic....HOWEVER it is unsafe, and that one time that you leave it in gear and it hurts someone, or goes through your garage door..then, it wasn't worth it.
gpspro 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2009 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
suzuki7, thanks for your input and I see your point. However, I don't see why this particular R/S system is unsafe like some people thought. If you wire everything correctly as instructed by the manufacturer, and if you also carry out the safety procedures exactly as what it was documented in the installation guide and make sure that you pass all tests prior to give your car to somebody else, you are 100% safe. That said, in my opinion, I think the steps required prior to the next R/S would be unnecessary. I think it's an extra layer of safety/precaution to ensure that your vehicle must be in a ready state for the next R/S, which is good. But I still think it wouldn't be absolutely required.
suzuki7 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2009 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
The steps are a bit much...as long as the unit sees the door pin signal wjile running that should be enough.  So I guess it is too safe, but All I meant was that you could technically set it up as an automatic, because you don't like the steps for rs, but since your car is manual, that makes it unsafe, incase it is in gear one day!...
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2009 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

There's a simple and logical answer. Set it up as an auto, go and park downhill on a steep hill on a busy road and leave it in gear with the parking brake on.  Then wait for the million dollar lawsuits as the vehicle takes off in gear with no one in it. And yes I've seen it happen (not one of my installs thank goodness, I just won't do it).

About as stupid as the idiots who ask for passive arm and lock and window rollup and  "no I'll never leave the key in the ignition whilst I step out of the car for a few moments"  Right.

frayer32 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2009 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I've got the same problem that you had gpspro. I have a manual trans, i did bypass the clutch sensor.  I do all the safety steps to activate RS and when press the lock button to stop the car and activate RS the car stop but the remote give me and error and i got the 7 flashes meaning the safety step havent been done properly... i've try it for at least 20 time the unit can't be that fussy i guess..

I try to put it in automatic mode, the remote start perfectly. i also try to test the hand break and the break sensor when i was in automatic mode and they both turn off the car the door sensor also work well.. so maybe i just miss somthing in the programmation..

If anyone having an idea it will be higly appreciate

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic