Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
imupabove wrote:
whiterob wrote:
A second battery is only going to extend the time you can play your system with the car off. Since you said you don't listen to your music without the car being on it is pretty much useless to do this. The big 3 upgrade would be much more beneficial in your situation.
The info tommy gave explains this quite well...
when i do the big 3 .. how will i know if i need a H/O?
If you still have very low voltage. If your voltage is still below 12 volts when the car is on and all of your wiring and grounds are secure then you will need a new alternator.
Even if you do get a new alternator you need to do the big 3. So it is necessary for a high output alternator anyways.
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
my car read 14 volts when the car is on right now. but when the bass drops it drop to 10-11 volts.
so invest in a big 3 now, and get a 2nd battery and a h/o alt?
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
LOL HAHA.
Big Three   = YES
HO Alt.     = Maybe
2nd Battery = NO
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
how would you know though?
if i get the big 3, wouldnt it drain the crap out of my battery and alt.?
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
With a good alternator, you should be able to start the car, completely remove the battery, and still have a normal functioning electrical system
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
so your saying if you do the big 3...Your going to be in worse shape then you currently are...? How is that...? If the voltage is still low after doing the big 3...Might be time to invest in a bigger alternator...!(for the 6th time...or so...)...And i think i understand what black civic is saying...But never do that...Just taking a terminal off...can cause voltage spikes ...etc...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  

imupabove wrote:

'

Why...? Whats your thought process here...? No...Worse case...You get a better reading then 10-11v...If it is still low....And your power and ground are the correct size...And the ground is in the best location/spot possible...The only way to add more "power"...Is to produce more "current."..IE...bigger alternator...! Imagine if your voltage was holding at 13v during those same low bass notes...Doing the big 3 is the first step here...Quit jumping around the checklist...Do it right...Follow direction...You and your wallet and your car and your system will be so much happier...But hey...If you really want that battery...I can drop ship it to your address...!!! Shoot me a P.M...1-3 days...(DUDE...JUST DO THE FREAKING BIG 3 UPGRADE...IT IS SO CHEAP AND EASY TO DO...AND SHOULD BE INCORPORATED IN MOST SYSTEMS...ESPECIALLY A SYSTEM DROPPING TO 10-11V...SHHEEESSHH...!)

M.E.C.P & First-Class
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:

imupabove wrote:

'

Why...? Whats your thought process here...? No...Worse case...You get a better reading then 10-11v...If it is still low....And your power and ground are the correct size...And the ground is in the best location/spot possible...The only way to add more "power"...Is to produce more "current."..IE...bigger alternator...! Imagine if your voltage was holding at 13v during those same low bass notes...Doing the big 3 is the first step here...Quit jumping around the checklist...Do it right...Follow direction...You and your wallet and your car and your system will be so much happier...But hey...If you really want that battery...I can drop ship it to your address...!!! Shoot me a P.M...1-3 days...(DUDE...JUST DO THE FREAKING BIG 3 UPGRADE...IT IS SO CHEAP AND EASY TO DO...AND SHOULD BE INCORPORATED IN MOST SYSTEMS...ESPECIALLY A SYSTEM DROPPING TO 10-11V...SHHEEESSHH...!)

this...
No one said you needed another battery. We all are recommending the big 3 and possibly an alternator upgrade if you still have low voltage. We are all also recommending not getting a second battery because it will NOT help you.
The battery is only going to start your car and run your accessories when the car is off. When the car is running the battery plays a minimal role in the charging system.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
okay thanks people. i appreciate your honesty and input.
when i have the big 3 installed.. what if i cant afford a new alt. at that moment, will it hurt anything?
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

You...at the very least...will be in better shape then you are now...Whats up with thinking the big 3 will damage/hurt/drain anything...? Plus when you do upgrade...Your ready...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic