icon

ultra start in grand cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
puzzleboy 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

Ignition key is black.  Thanks for the info on the locks.  I'd heard that the DEI module was the way to go, but I don't care too much about the locks.  Might do it later. 

Thanks for your help.  I've worked a lot on cars, but never done a generic remote starter system before. 

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
The module for the door locks is waayyy easier...for sure...! Also you do have 2 Accessory wires...Usually you need only to power one up for HVAC...You could use the selectable output to power up 2nd Accessory...Again...in this situation...i think by powering up 2nd Acc...The only outcome would be the radio/other Accesories would be on during the remote start...On some vehicles it IS necessary to power up both Acc's...As not to turn on check engine lights...IE...Did a ford taurus that kept setting off the check engine light...The 2nd Accessory needed to be powered for the gas gauge...Again i dont think/remember this applying to your vehicle...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
And Your Welcome...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
puzzleboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

On the wiring diagrams I've got from a few sites, it says that the wire I'm using at the PCM for my tach signal is a "2 cylinder signal".  What does this mean, and does it matter?  I've already hooked this up and I get 12 volts when the engine is running. 

Thanks!

tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  

I dont think this applies to you...Did you do the tach learn sequence...Did it work...?

M.E.C.P & First-Class
puzzleboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

I'm finishing the wiring tonight.  I did the tach wire and hood pin switch last night, today I'll finish up the dash connections.  Tach should auto learn. 

For the parking lights, there's a shortcut I found on this site which wraps a wire around the terminal of the vehicle's parking light relay.  This saves needing another relay.  This is negative (-), I'm pretty sure.  Just don't want to fry my BCM or anything.....  :)

I think I'm o.k. with everything else! 

Jason

tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
Ive never used that specific model Ultra Start...On some other models you have to do a tach learn sequence in order for the unit to learn tach...But if it is an auto-learn...Great...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
puzzleboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone know if using the DirectTech Jeep Grand Cherokee parking light procedure on this site (where you wrap the wire directly around the vehicle's parking light relay), is with a - or + parking light output from a remote start?  The sheet doesn't clearly say, and according to their website, the output is switchable from negative to positive.  On my Ultra Start, there is an independent wire for negative and positive parking light output. 

Basically, I need to know if I connect my negative output wire from the brain to the terminal on the relay. 

Thanks! 

puzzleboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all your help Tommy.   Install went fine, tach auto learned, RS works fine. 

The only last thing I'm trying to figure out, is the parking light output.  My Ultra has a negative and positive output.  I know if I were tap in at the headlight switch with a resistor, I would use the negative output.  But I instead used the procedure of tapping in at the vehicle's relay, which negates the reqmt. for adding a resistor, relay etc.  Do you know which output would be used from my Ultra for hooking up the parking lights in this way? 

Thanks! 

puzzleboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

Found my answer by searching all the posts.  - Negative trigger also at the relay

The remote start works fine.  Tach is auto learned.  Does any other programming (crank time, etc.) need to be done?  I'm assuming the tach wire is what tells the brain to stop cranking anyway, once a certain RPM is reached?  So basically, the remote starter will crank up until the maximum program time set in the brain (3s, 5s, 10s etc.)?

Thanks!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic