the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

12s or 15s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
blk1990gt wrote:

haemphyst wrote:
Yes... (...and the word is Ohm... It's a man's name...)
Are you seriously asking questions to learn, or are you just asking questions to get your post count up?
We don't mind helping, really, but these questions are becoming a bit... ridiculous.

i dont care about my post count! why would i? i am asking questions 2 learn because i want 2 have a nice setup and do it right i dont know whats so rediculous about thet they are honest questions sorry if i my mis'spelling of a word offended you.. now if someone who is not a jerk would like 2 give me a bit more info about my previous question I.E is this a safe method for every day use and maybe some experience with a simaler combo it would be greatly appreciated if not then no need 2 post in my thread

Thanks,

Justin

No one is being a jerk.  The answer to your question is sure, go for it.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
Justin...
1: I answered your question. I answered your "yes or no" question with a yes. You can run four 1000 watt at 2-ohm amplifiers to two 2000 watt DVC 2-ohm woofers. It is perfectly safe to do so.
Perhaps a bit of expansion might be necessary. I would actually recommend you search for a better amplifier combination that meets your power requirements - either a) one 4000 watt at 2-ohms amplifier or b) two 2000 watt at 1 ohm amplifiers - it would be a much easier setup and significantly less expensive option for you. Also, if not PERFECTLY setup, you won't destroy anything, but you can likely not get the expected or even hoped for result. Also, with a four amplifier, two driver setup, any destructive mismatch of two amps to one woofer chance is doubled when you double the number of woofers and amplifiers... It's far too much effort, seriously.
2: Some people just come here to ask questions, over and over... It happens. They ask a bunch of questions in a hundred different posts and a dozen different threads, truly wasting time by sometimes asking the same question(s) repeatedly, then never ask another one... As I said, none of us REALLY minds helping, if you really need the help.
3: My correction was for your edification and education, it was not because it was misspelled. It wasn't to be obnoxious, as you think I was being or doing. If you are not corrected, you'll never know you were incorrect. Take it as CONSTRUCTIVE, not destructive. Learn from it; prove to us that you are really interested in learning, as you, yourself, claim. The word Ohm is a VERY frequently used word in the car audio world, and you'll do well to WANT to know how to spell it correctly, as well as know where the word originated. Watt, Volt, Amp, Farad, and Henry are also names you'll hear and should know.
My apologies if I offended you, in these respects.
Now, (and this too is constructive and a request) 4: Please use complete words. This is not your cell phone, and you have unlimited space to make your thoughts completely clear; you are not limited to 160 characters. Nobody here cares about misspellings, we get through them, but we all try to be adults here, carrying on conversations, as if speaking to one another, not texting each other on our iPhones. Please, the internet "1337" is unnecessary. Again, I am not trying to be a "jerk" as you will undoubtedly feel I am, but this is a respected forum, it's not caraudiodomain.com, and we try to maintain this respect by maintaining adult attitudes and language.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blk1990gt 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Justin...
1: I answered your question. I answered your "yes or no" question with a yes. You can run four 1000 watt at 2-ohm amplifiers to two 2000 watt DVC 2-ohm woofers. It is perfectly safe to do so.
Perhaps a bit of expansion might be necessary. I would actually recommend you search for a better amplifier combination that meets your power requirements - either a) one 4000 watt at 2-ohms amplifier or b) two 2000 watt at 1 ohm amplifiers - it would be a much easier setup and significantly less expensive option for you. Also, if not PERFECTLY setup, you won't destroy anything, but you can likely not get the expected or even hoped for result. Also, with a four amplifier, two driver setup, any destructive mismatch of two amps to one woofer chance is doubled when you double the number of woofers and amplifiers... It's far too much effort, seriously.
2: Some people just come here to ask questions, over and over... It happens. They ask a bunch of questions in a hundred different posts and a dozen different threads, truly wasting time by sometimes asking the same question(s) repeatedly, then never ask another one... As I said, none of us REALLY minds helping, if you really need the help.
3: My correction was for your edification and education, it was not because it was misspelled. It wasn't to be obnoxious, as you think I was being or doing. If you are not corrected, you'll never know you were incorrect. Take it as CONSTRUCTIVE, not destructive. Learn from it; prove to us that you are really interested in learning, as you, yourself, claim. The word Ohm is a VERY frequently used word in the car audio world, and you'll do well to WANT to know how to spell it correctly, as well as know where the word originated. Watt, Volt, Amp, Farad, and Henry are also names you'll hear and should know.
My apologies if I offended you, in these respects.
Now, (and this too is constructive and a request) 4: Please use complete words. This is not your cell phone, and you have unlimited space to make your thoughts completely clear; you are not limited to 160 characters. Nobody here cares about misspellings, we get through them, but we all try to be adults here, carrying on conversations, as if speaking to one another, not texting each other on our iPhones. Please, the internet "1337" is unnecessary. Again, I am not trying to be a "jerk" as you will undoubtedly feel I am, but this is a respected forum, it's not caraudiodomain.com, and we try to maintain this respect by maintaining adult attitudes and language.

well thank you for clearing that up. i am sure you guys get alot of stupid 16 year old kids that are just dumb as hell and i guess i just kind of felt like u thought i was one of those people but trust me im not. i may not be the smartest person and trust me i will not say i am but i understand the basics. ive always had a system in my cars and even when i was a stupid 16 year old i bought nice stuff i have had 2 12w3s and a 1000.1 memphis for the past 6 years and back then doodie was not cheap plus i was 16 lol now ive out grown it so i did come here for good advise and as i stated in my first post i was gonna ask lots of question... i guess what i am truley looking for is a combo that will hit in the 150db range and still be able 2 play music and last me for the next 6 years till i get sick  of it and want more, it is all going into a ext cab silverado i am a union carpenter so i will be building the box my self i just need you pros to fill in the rest i am on about a 2000$ budget is this possible thanks again and sorry for the attitude

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hadn't dropped you, but what you want I can't help you get, so this is a bump, to see if anybody else is able to add to the quest for you.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Funky pups..... Lol. Sorry
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
hmmmm... 150dbs..... with under 2000? hmmm.
Now will you be competing with this system? Where you have to have 145+?
or is this just a wild shot in the dark.
With that small cabin 150 IS possible. But at the cost of QUALITY sound. The port setting might have to be too high and although you'll hit 150, it will sound like crap on normal music. No real, clean, and smooth bass. Unless you invest in some high end woofers (Fi audio BTL, Re audio, even JL audio) in wich case you'll have to fork about 1500 on woofers alone. Make sure you set REALISTIC goals base on YOUR budget.
blk1990gt 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

icearrow6 wrote:
hmmmm... 150dbs..... with under 2000? hmmm.
Now will you be competing with this system? Where you have to have 145+?
or is this just a wild shot in the dark.
With that small cabin 150 IS possible. But at the cost of QUALITY sound. The port setting might have to be too high and although you'll hit 150, it will sound like crap on normal music. No real, clean, and smooth bass. Unless you invest in some high end woofers (Fi audio BTL, Re audio, even JL audio) in wich case you'll have to fork about 1500 on woofers alone. Make sure you set REALISTIC goals base on YOUR budget.

lol kind of a shot in the dark ive found quite a few used subs for around 500-700$ FI BTL etc etc the 2000 was for amp and subs only i have the rest

j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
blk1990gt wrote:

cvsct698 wrote:
If you're doing DB drag, cross the W7 your list now. I've got mixed feelings on Fi. It really depends on who you talk to. Some people swear by them, but I've seen quality issues with them, and from what I've seen, they also don't completely live up to their hype. MTX may be a good option, but I don't have much experience with their product. Have you considered DD?

i can not find any prices on DD anywhere can some one tell me where 2 find prices?

also anyone heard of DC sound lab subs? if so how are they?

DC sound labs make good spl subs. As for price on DC or DD hit up the respective manufacture sites and search for dealers near you and give them a call or email. They will be somewhat on the pricey side. A buddy of mine does 150+ in a quad cab ram with 4 DC lvl 4 15s. tuned at 40ish hz but it also is running 4 fosgate t1500's.Thats 6000watts rms. Its also a blow through. Just to get an idea of what it takes to create that kind of SPL. Then you also have to figure in electrical upgrades.
As for whether 12s or 15s are better for your application there are many, many, many variables that have not been even close to covered for anyone here to make a good call on which would be better for your particular installation.
these are just some starter questions:
1. What equipment do you own already/plan on still using?
2. What class do you intend to compete?
3. Total budget for extra equipment/installation? You say you are a carpenter. $2000 is a number you threw out there but, you may have some building materials all ready. But you may also need to upgrade electrical. Big 3, alt, and batts depending on power.
12s or 15s - Page 3 -- posted image.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic