icon

06 silverado service brake system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
There's a lot of disagreement over whether or not it's important to power up the brown, second-accessory wire.
I never power it up, not just to save time, but also to keep the wipers off during remote start. Other installers always hook it up.
At any rate, it wouldn't hurt to connect it if you want to.
I've done literally hundreds of those trucks, mostly with the GMDLBP, but a handful with the XK01 as well. I don't remember those modules giving any trouble.
About the truck's batteries......well, it is nearly four model years old. The batter(ies) might be near the end of their life anyway. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a mechanic or auto parts store test them for you before winter hits.
The only other possible thing I could think of.....
What remote starter are you using? I wonder just how they have their outputs timed....ignition 1, 2, accessory, and so forth.
If you noticed, the white Ignition 2 wire gets power FIRST, immediately when you move the key forward from the Off position.
The pink Ignition 1 wire gets power LATER, only when the key has moved fully to Run.
Most remote starters power up Ignitions 1 and 2 at exactly the same time.....and I've never had a problem with a GM truck because of this.
I wonder if your remote starter somehow powers up Ignition 2 a little bit late?
Also, I know you've tested the white wire in the truck during remote start....but, I should have mentioned this before: Have you also verified that it maintains power during cranking?
Some remote starters have an "off during crank" or "as accessory" setting for Ignition 2 in their programming menu.....that could get you screwed up if you turned that on by mistake.
Here's something else you could try:
Prepare a jumper wire (preferably fused). (If you have a jumper wire with an old toggle switch, that's even better.)
Using the jumper wire AND the remote starter, try to emulate the truck's factory behavior of powering up the white Ignition 2 wire before the pink:
1: Connect jumper wire from constant power to the white on the truck.
2. Activate remote starter, let it start engine and run.
3. Now, remove jumper wire and let the remote starter run the truck on its own.
4. Repeat this several times......see if it makes the problem go away.
If it does, maybe you could use your remote starter's "ground when running" output and a relay, to power up the Ignition 2 circuit on the truck a little early.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

I am guessing you do not do this for a living?

Disconnect the "wts light" and program the sytems to a 11-12 second wait to start.

Never powered a second accessory in any of these trucks unless they had the stupid quad steer.

Replace your batteries.

abadv8 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Correct, I do not do this for a living.
I am a mechanical engineer, professionally speaking. If you ever have any mechanical questions, I can certainly try to answer them.
I have read that the WTS light can cause problems. Do we know what actually causes the problem?
I am going to investigate the timing of the ignition wires. There may be something to that. The system is a Viper 5301, and I believe that the ignition 2 settings are still set to default.
Thanks again for the help.
abadv8 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Chris,
Quick thought here: If ignition 2 is being powered up before ignition 1, could I just swap 1 and 2 at the plug for the remote start module?
I still need to get out and test the timing. I only have one test light, so may need to pick up another (it's too difficult for me to monitor a Fluke and a test light simultaneously).
I've got my batteries out right now, running through a de-sulfate cycle before the extreme cold weather we'll be getting. If no one has tried one of the new style switching battery chargers (usually called smart chargers) they are worth a serious look. I have pulled batteries from salvage yards that cost me $5.00 because they were only good for a core, put them on my charger set to recondition, and had two years of successful operation from them. Technology is amazing.
Anyway, I will try to get a handle on the ignition 1 & 2 timing tomorrow. Just thought I would throw out the switching of the wires idea.
Thanks.
abadv8 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, ignition 1 & 2 are powered up at the same time by the Viper 5301.  06 silverado service brake system - Page 2 -- posted image.

I will disconnect the WTS wire next.  Will the tach wire cause any issues, or can I leave that hooked up? 

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
tach wire wont cause any issues  (certainly not the one you are having)... i have done many of these vehicles (03-07 C/K's) with the 5301 and XK01 and never had any issues.... i prefer the XK01 for these vehicles (running D2D)... i also never power the Brown 2nd Acc....with no issues.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
abadv8 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

So, is it the WTS wire?  I guess we'll find out in a few hours. 

Are there any basic setup options on the 5301 or the XK01 that I might be glazing over? 

That'll really suck if the WTS wire is causing the problem, as there is about a 135 degree temperature swing between summer and winter here.  I have had the WTS light on for over 30 seconds in the extreme cold.

abadv8 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

I would really like to get this figured out before this happens again...

06 silverado service brake system - Page 2 -- posted image.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
What is it?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

heck, that's a Spring day in Saskatchewan... try -51C .....   then you know it's winter.....

you don't need a wait to start circuit on those trucks... just program your starter for voltage sense / 4 sec crank and you are good to go....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic