icon

dei viper smartstart iphone review

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobreeze 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
**I will update this thread over the next few weeks as interact with the iphone app more**
Yesterday I had the luxury of upgrading my alarm system from a Viper 5900 to a 5901 to benefit from the smartstart add-on. The total installation time for the smartstart add-on was no more than 30 minutes.
Pros
-You can control your alarm from your freaking iPhone!
-Easy upgrade if you already have a compatible system. (Just a side note while I am thinking of it. If you are planning on purchasing the $500 standalone smartstart, you should know that there is no security with that system. It is purely for lock, unlock, trunk operation, panic, and remote start. I made the mistake of purchasing that at first and returned it of course.)
-Out of approximately 15 separate uses of the iPhone app, all commands successfully went through.
-Since it uses your phone network, the range is near unlimited. I've tested it
Cons
-I have to note that there is a delay. It is between 2-3 seconds on average for me. [Honestly though, if you've had a 2 way Viper alarm, an extra second delay isn't that bad. Not to mention it runs on the iPhone's cellular network (AT&T), so it needs to receive and redirect the signal.]
-Viper claims that the smartstart system will only work with unmodified iPhones operating on the AT&T network.
Feel free to post any questions you guys have.
Josh
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I forgot to finish this line:
Since it uses your phone network, the range is near unlimited. I've tested it up to about 1/4 mile.
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
wish i knew a dei dealer to get me one of these...any one wanna trade i deal in compustar LOL
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
metz35 wrote:
wish i knew a dei dealer to get me one of these...any one wanna trade i deal in compustar LOL
lol. It is the most expensive thing on the planet, isn't it. :)
Update: Tested range at 2.6 miles and the command from my iPhone worked perfectly. So far so good.
webxfx 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Will the Smartstart add-on work with the Clifford and Pyhton twins?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  
Doesn't Autopage do a similar unit that works with any Network or touch phone?   Also we have DEI Callguard here, harder to install, but gives you similar functions plus GPS to your phone or pc.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
Our shop use to be viper dealers and now we have Compustar Pro. I would need to admit that the Iphone app is pretty cool(I have an iphone). On the other hand we are able to get that stuff through our distributors anyway. Only thing I heard that about the smart start program that is not confirmed and didn't like was that it doesn't give you 2-way confirmation on the remote start portion. Can someone confirm that?
NOTE**Also spoke to compustar about the app and they mentioned that they were working on one too (could be just tricking us)
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
I thought it worked like the 5902 HD remote but i guess not. they are not 2way compatable from what i heard too.  But since range is not a concern its not an issue of whether the command went thru.  Im sure that will be some sort of application update in the future tho.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

There are updates to come on the viper smart start, it will evolve and grow..

Yes Autopage has the C3 which is far more advanced technically speaking. It can alos be used on any phone with java. It is a tad pricey though.

I am sure they will release a module that will work with all of directed supercodes systems soon.

TooDark 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
metz35 wrote:
Best Buy is the only dealer that has the Smartstart right now.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic