icon

dei viper smartstart iphone review

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
number2 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Any alarm paging? Or does it basically jut turn your iphone into a giant remote?
OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

number2 wrote:
Any alarm paging? Or does it basically jut turn your iphone into a giant remote?

Exactly. It's like having a regular remote with unlimited range. But it integrates with systems such as the 5902, and that gives you the 2-way 1 mile range in ideal conditions.

I would take the trunk release aux option and instead run a latching relaying that kills the ignition. That way, you could kill the ignition from the phone if you ever were carjacked. Assuming that your iPhone is on your person after you are carjacked.

I would then disable that aux option from the remote itself (bitwiter?) so the thief couldn't just punch buttons and restart the vehicle. This would work nicely for trucks and SUV's that do not have any type of automatic hatch opener.

Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
any one seen the screen?  is it just lock, unlock, start (in the middle), trunk, then panic.  No more screens or auxilaries?
number2 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
It would need full 2 way communication and control for me to be sold on it. When I first herd of it I was imaging something like you see off of Bait Car. Alarm trigger alerts, ign shutdown, car GPS locations and maybe a small video feed.
At least for me to be impressed.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
im sure all that is coming because its some sort of subcription after a year. (30 a year)
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
My distributor said there will be a Python or DEI branded unit. But that will happen after the exclusive with Best Buy is over.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
xicano21 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
If anyone is wondering what systems this is compatible they are:
Viper 5902,5901,5701,5601,5501,5301,5101
The connections look very simple power, ground and plug connects to the bit writer port
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
xicano21 wrote:
If anyone is wondering what systems this is compatible they are:
Viper 5902,5901,5701,5601,5501,5301,5101
The connections look very simple power, ground and plug connects to the bit writer port
it also works on the clifford and python variations of the above viper units. there is supposed to be an update (supposedly soon) to add 2 way functionality to the app. the first year is free with purchase of the unit then $30 a year after that. currently there is no other auxiliaries that are controlled via the app. one of our installers called dei (prior to it's release) to discuss a few things with their techs and i guess the tech just um, "disagreed" (to sum up the conversation) about using it as an ignition kill like was mentioned earlier.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
forgot to mention, as far as range is concerned. . .as long as the vehicle is within cell service and the iphone is within cell service, then the app will function regardless of distance (i.e.-you're in new york and the vehicle is in los angeles). you can also download the app for use with the itouch but it will ONLY function if you're in a wifi hotspot
pull up now! 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Viper Smartstart's cell module they could email or post? Curious how the start signal gets out, and if it's coded data or a simple wire polarity or pulse. Thanks.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic