icon

2005 Saturn Ion Redline Door Lock Relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the05bluredline 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
is this the correct method for wiring the "single Negative Wire" relays for my car and if it is what diode is used (or how is this determined) and how do i wire for both driver and passenger.
2005 Saturn Ion Redline Door Lock Relays -- posted image.
the05bluredline 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
the05bluredline wrote:
is this the correct method for wiring the "single Negative Wire" relays for my car and if it is what diode is used (or how is this determined) and how do i wire for both driver and passenger.
and also where is the diode placed between pin 85 and green wire(-)lock)on top relay and pin 85 and blue wire(-)unlock) on bottom relay or does is go between pin 87a and door lock switch on bottom relay and between pin 30 and vacuum pump on top relay. I know it needs to be diode isolated i just dont know where they need to be placed.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  
I would check your lock wire info, that diagramme is fine for Mercedes/Audi mid 80s on,  reversing polarity single wire control. Having looked at the 03 on the vehicle wiring section on this site, it shows neg log and unlock at the BSM so your alarm's green and blue go to those two wires with the diodes, 1N4004 in line on the green and blue with the bands towards the alarm. Suggest you look at the vehicle wiring site since you haven't mentioned the year and why should I do your work for you? You won't need the relays.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
A slight apology is called for, I've just looked at the listings, 03/04/05 and they all give different lock systems!!!   Don't throw away the relays just yet, but please, obey the posting rules and tell us which year,  your vehicle is a prime reason for stating year and model!  By the way the other post should have said BCM not BSM.
the05bluredline 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, its a 2005 Saturn Ion Redline coupe. I looked at the vehicle wire diagram from this site and it states that it is a single negative white wire and to look at diagram and the diagram i posted is the one i found. Thanks for you help it is appreciated
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
sorry to sound cynical but if your asking how to wire up a simple relay setup for one wire door locks is this install really something you feel you should be attempting? probing wrong wires or tagging wrong ones can damage bcm( EXPENSIVE) is the risk worth it to save a few bucks labor having a competent installer wire for you?what are you installing? keyless entry ( to factory locks)or keyless start, alarm?
its a 1 wire lock setup, straight ground to unlock and ground thru a 1500 ohm resistor to lock
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I looked as well, if you mean the single white wire at the BCM this is the way to go. Green lock to relay 85. Good ground to relay 30, 12v+ constant to 86 and join 87 to single white wire. Unlock blue to second relay 85, god ground to relay 30, 12v+ constant to 86 and join 87 to the white wire at the same point but this time insert a 1.5Kohm resistor inline between 87 and the white wire.  Share the grounds and the 12volts on the relays, fuse the 12volts at 3amps. Thr reason for the relays is that the lock outputs won't give enough juice to overcome the resistance. The relays also isolate the Ion's locking system from the alarm so diodes aren't needed. This is assuming your alarm system and you STILL haven't followed the rules and told me what it is only has the two lock/unlock wires. If it has 6, you won't need the relays.
the05bluredline 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
jim hunter wrote:
sorry to sound cynical but if your asking how to wire up a simple relay setup for one wire door locks is this install really something you feel you should be attempting? probing wrong wires or tagging wrong ones can damage bcm( EXPENSIVE) is the risk worth it to save a few bucks labor having a competent installer wire for you?what are you installing? keyless entry ( to factory locks)or keyless start, alarm?
its a 1 wire lock setup, straight ground to unlock and ground thru a 1500 ohm resistor to lock
The only installer that i have next to me that would agree to install it gave me an estimate of $75 an hour at 8 hours so that's $600 in labor. As with anything of this nature yes it is difficult to do and can have bad results if it were done wrong but everybody has to learn to do it and thats what i am trying to do. I want to get M.E.C.P certified from mobile dynamics in Arizona so this can give me a little insight. its not like I'm some idiot that doesn't know anything I am just doing my research. Asking the professionals. People that have had some hands on experience.
the05bluredline 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
This is assuming your alarm system and you STILL haven't followed the rules and told me what it is only has the two lock/unlock wires. If it has 6, you won't need the relays.
What? if your talking about what alarm hears the diagram:
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, Howie was talking about what kind of alarm system you were installing. If the system would of had onboard relays, the wiring would be different. Anyways, click here for diagram.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic