2005 Saturn Ion Redline Door Lock Relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the05bluredline 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
mikvot wrote:
Yes, Howie was talking about what kind of alarm system you were installing. If the system would of had onboard relays, the wiring would be different. Anyways, click here  for diagram.
Shouldn't the white wire be cut? and shouldn't there be diodes inline of the alarm lock/unlock wires
the05bluredline 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
Shouldn't the white wire be cut? and shouldn't there be diodes inline of the alarm lock/unlock wires
2005 Saturn Ion Redline Door Lock Relays - Page 2 -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not going to scream at you as I normally do and Mr. Hunter intimated but why cut?  You are not interrupting anything, you are joining to an existing wire as for the diodes, right you're taking an MECP course can you see where the lock wires from you alarm are going to?  Yes the relays.  That effectively isolates the alarm's output from the car. To gild the lilly slightly, place diodes across the relay coils, that is between your  plus and minus coil with the diode bands towards the plus side. This will stop onrush current or back feed from going back down the lock and unlock wires.  In practice it doesn't matter but in theory that last diagramme is wrong. The right hand relay should have 85 and 86 turned round, the ISO and vehicle manufacturers ALWAYS make 85 the neg and 86 the pos sides of the coil. A relay is a switch or in this case a current amplifying switch. Congratulations you've just been introduced to Central Locking 101, N.B. Top of my head I can think of 8 different locking systems straight off so please read your course notes and where it says TEST do so. Just another point the; 30 and 87 are the wrong way round but again it doesn't matter and the next answer is 1/4 watt relay. Don't panic, amateurs and rookies always bring up diodes, relays and confuse resistors and diodes, they THINK it sounds like they know what they are talking about 2005 Saturn Ion Redline Door Lock Relays - Page 2 -- posted image.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
well if the only installer in your area is saying 8 hours labor to install an alarm@75.00 per hour hes obviously not good!or he just flat out doesnt want to mess with whatever product you have( which you still havent told us what brand it is) that car is pretty easy to do, and no you dont need to cut the lock wire and use diodes,the bcm when it gets a straight12v ground signal will lock the doors, when it recieves a ground signal thru the 1500k resistor(which a resistor reduces voltage) will then unklock, all your doing is sending these siganls into the bcm, you are not sending them nto the lock motors so cutting would accomplish nothung but causing locks to not work right if at all
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
I would have said $50 an hour and three hours on a car ever never done before!
the05bluredline 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Very sorry everybody. I keep thinking about the problem at hand and not the forum educate. Just to get it all out there I have a 2005 Saturn Ion Redline and I am trying to install a Scytek Vision Guard 8000 Remote start/Alarm with camera. And to Howie ll I am not currently taking the M.E.C.P. courses I am trying to save the money to go to Mobile Dynamics in Arizona. I would like to accomplish this install myself. I am not just relying on you guys to do the work for me. I am researching as much as i can when i can to get the understanding of why and how things work they way they do. I am just getting you guys to check my work. I appreciate all the information i have gotten from you guys. Thank you. To get back to it how does this look: (i assume you meant 1/4 watt resistor)
the05bluredline 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
is it possible to set this system for driver priority?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
 It's correct, you would have to use the green wire to lock all doors, then use the primary unlock wire (blue)to unlock the driver's door via the lock motor wires so you will need another relay, set up as a 5 wire control, use the blue from the alarm to control that and the secondary unlock from the alarm goes to the unlock relay in the above diagramme instead. Your graphics are very good by the way.
the05bluredline 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

Great. Thanks every body and a special thanks to Howie 11.  Another question that i have now is in the diagram below the wire that says +12v relay power output 100ma can the door lock relays 12v be connected to this? I only ask because it says 100ma isn't that the power being output by the wire?

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yes but unless that wire is on that plug it would be far easier to tap into an existant constant 12v+ and feed your relays via a 1amp fuse.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic