icon

power window kits

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
colin12 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2009 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hey i have a 1998 mitsibithi lancer 4door and i want to install power windows in it. i live in australia and have been looking at complete kits could someone please give me a link to where i can purchase them in australia or where i can buy and get them shipped from.

The only one i have been able to find is http://cgi..au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370294031584&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Is this a good kit? will it work in my car?

Any advice or anything u can tell me will be much appreciated

Thanks

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2009 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
Google in Spal or Electric life they are the only kits I would consider. FleaBay?  Don't waste your time and money.  Or go to a breaker's yard and apull a set out of one that has them.
colin12 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2009 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't tried the eBay kits but I would have to agree with Howie.
I've put in a couple of SPAL kits and they seem to work well enough. Plenty of parts in the kit to fit any kind of car, the motors look well-made and have plenty of wire, and the instructions are good if you take the time to read them carefully.
Even if you could save a few dollars by buying something cheaper, keep in mind that this job is much more labor than parts....it'll take you a while.
Keep in mind that at least with the SPAL kits, you buy things separately:
--The motors, with the parts kit to install them, are sold in pairs of two. If doing all four doors, buy two motor kits.
--The switches and wiring harness are sold separately, with many styles to choose from.
There are switches that you simply cut rectangular holes into the door panel, but they do need clearance behind them.
There are "pods" that allow you to surface-mount the switches on the door......they make it so the switches are facing the driver (like factory) and require less clearance behind the panel.
If you're doing your all four doors, you'd probably want the 7-switch kit: four for the driver's door, and one each for the other doors.
Another option that would save a little money and also make the installation quite a bit easier, would be to put a four-switch panel on the center console, and then an individual switch in each rear door.......a setup similar to the PT Cruiser.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
I install a lot of Spal kits and like them. I even had a set in my old work van that i put over 300k miles on and they never failed me once. I prefer the pod switch install Chris mentions, they are easier to install and look good.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

Personally I'd use 6 switches, 4 front and if you can get access, 2 at the rear of centre console, makes all your wiring a hell of a lot easier, especially if at a later stage you intend with or without an alarm to install say 530t window closers to give you one-shot up and down.

Spal make it really easy to do a good DIY job, lots of switch choice, location drawings for different cars and wiring diagrammes for the different switch layouts.

Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
I agree withthe lads I've done couple spal kits and they work a treat
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
colin12 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies im in australia does anyone know where i can purchase one from in australia or where i can get one shipped from at a reasonable price

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic