ultra start 2 way

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jspencer 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone!
I searched but couldnt find anything about my starter/alarm combo so heres a question for you...
5 years ago I got a alarm/starter unit installed into my 1998 Jeep TJ (automatic trans). The backup remote only worked for the first year and now this last year the main lcd remote has stopped working as well. Both seem to have lost reception. Even when within an inch of the antenna. So I figured i would go into the dealership and get a replacement remote. Only to get told sorry we dont carry that brand anymore and you wont be able to find a replacement anywhere. GRRR
So my questions are:
1. Anyone know where or if a remote can be found, if in fact it is a remote issue and not the head unit.
2. Or would it be more appropriate to just get a new kit altogether and replace the head unit. Or can I even do that while using the existing cables and sensors?
These are the numbers I've acquired off of the junk in my trunk (unh its not in the trunk but you get my drift)
Remote: AST 2-WAY AM   FCC ID: MYKTR1350TX
Head Unit: PS-X40    MOD-PS-X40a-6-P03-CAN-20040303
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

First, I would go to the Ultra Start web site, http://www.ultrastarters.com/index.html, and look for a local dealer.  They should be able to help identify your system and possibly obtain a remote.  Replacement remotes will have to be programmed to your system.  That's not hard to do if you have the correct Installation Manual, available from the web site. 

I'm not positive, but the Model number you listed does not sound correct.  Try looking under the dash for the actual R/S unit.  There should be a white sticker on it with the model number. like 4500 or 2500.  Additionally the remote FCC number you listed might have a typo.  I have a new, 2 way, LCD remote in stock, but its number is MKYTR1350TX.  Ultra Start made alot of different remotes over the years...

Replacing the whole system is an option, but the price will be pretty much what an entire new install would cost.

Good luck.

Soldering is fun!
jspencer 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hiya Kreg, I'll start by saying I'm not in the united states. I'm way up in northern alberta, canada.
I took a peek at the ultrastarts website and their find a dealer doesnt work for canadian distributors.
The model number I listed as the head unit number was what was printed on the white sticker affixed to the little black box under the dash.
And as for the FCC emote number being off. I have it in front of me now and thats what it says. Could be that all the numbers are different due to me being in a different country.
And yeah I understand buying a new kit entirely would be the cost of a new kit. It cost me around $700 to get this one installed 5 years ago and if I do replace the whole thing it would be very handy if I could just switch the electronics and skip the installers here.
Thanks for the reply though
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
You have everything you need, the Model number and the fcc ID.
Contact Ultrastart Directly trough the tech line. However I will warn you that they may not make the AM version anymore.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. That sucks your dealer left you out in the cold like that.
If you were my customer, I'd apologize for your inconvenience, and replace both remotes under warranty, even if it ended up costing me money.
Anyway, I've only installed one or two Ultra starters, but something tells me that they haven't changed their wiring very much over the years.
To have your entire system removed and replaced with a new one would, obviously, cost you full price at any local installer.
But maybe if you can somehow find out for sure if all the plugs are the same, you could buy a whole new kit online, and just swap out the "brain" (what you referred to as the head unit), program it, and be done......the whole kit will probably cost the same as, or maybe less, than finding the two remotes.
Any way you can get some pictures of all this stuff and put it online?
Or, go around eBay, look for some Ultra starters on there, and look at the pictures. At least then you'll be sure that you're looking at the correct stuff under your dashboard.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Up to about a 2 years ago, you would be correct Chris. But they have made changes over the last 2 seasons (not always for the better).
Ultra does offer a 1 year free replacement on remotes, but they are picky about it (must be a defect, not wear or abuse) Doubt that helps you at this point.
If you do find a remote, please let me know if I can help you program it.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic