icon

switched power source

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
captfrank 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all, I have a 2005 Chevy Express van and would like to power my add-on portable xm radio unit with a switched source. I'm having trouble locating an appropriate and convenient spot. All of the sources I've located under the dash are unswitched. My accessory plug-ins both have unswitched power.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Whatever you do, when you find a switched source, do not cut the cigarette lighter plug from the end of your unit.  Most of them run on 5 or 6 volts, the cigarette lighter plug includes a voltage regulator that is needed to powr the unit.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Whatever you do, when you find a switched source, do not cut the cigarette lighter plug from the end of your unit.  Most of them run on 5 or 6 volts, the cigarette lighter plug includes a voltage regulator that is needed to powr the unit.

DITTO...Just wrap wires around the cig plug...Sometimes only one of the prongs on the side need ground...the other side is just a clip...Then use those wires you wrapped to attach to an accessory circuit and ground...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
How are you checking these wires...? Are there any accessories you notice that turn on with the key...Like the cig plug...Does that only work when the key is on...Or is it constant...?That vehicle has more then one cig plug...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

Go to Auto Zone or similiar and get a $7.00 female cigarette lighter receptacle with the 2 wires coming off of it . Attach the red wire to switched wire in car , attached the black wire to ground , Plug in male receptacle , no cutting or wrapping and taping.....good quality job.

captfrank 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
I'm checking the wires in different key positions and even with the vehicle running. So far all have given me 12 volt power with the key off as well as on. The only switched source I've found so far is to the driver's seat sensor for the seat belt alarm. The voltage is a little lower there in accessory position, 10.5 v. With engine running it is 12.4 v. It would be nice to find a convenient source under the dash. I'm still working on it.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
boogeyman wrote:

Go to Auto Zone or similiar and get a $7.00 female cigarette lighter receptacle with the 2 wires coming off of it . Attach the red wire to switched wire in car , attached the black wire to ground , Plug in male receptacle , no cutting or wrapping and taping.....good quality job.

I see...But now your out $7.00 bucks...The wires would be under the dash and not exposed...So whether you buy the receptacle or wrap and tape...You cant see it...! I guess im taking exception to the "quality" part of your post...I strive for quality...! And buying a receptacle is just not necessary...It is basically the same dang thing...! I think he needs the switched wire info...Got that...? You still have to attach the wires and secure the plug...But to each his own...! Think ive done just about 1,000 of these "hardwires for sirius,xm and radar detectors...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried the power window wire from the window RAP relay to the switches? It is dark green and you should be able to find it in either kick panel. Since it is operating through the RAP relay, it will remain powered until you open the door just like the radio.
captfrank 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
That would be great, but vehicle has no power windows (basic cargo van). I tried all the leads in the basic factory head unit, but could find no switched power at all. That surprised me. The red with white stripe had over 12 volts and another had less than one volt, both unswitched. Maybe I can tap into the ventilation fan wires?
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

have you tried the ignition harness?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic