icon

mobile wifi

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
el ranchero 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
i do mobile installations and woulc like to be able to have access to the wide technical help that is in this web site and all the other sites like audiovox,etc but i can only access it by land, is there a mobile wifi device out there or is there a blue thooth thing that i can connect to my lap top via my cell phone, im old school and just getting into the new technology out there, thanks for any advice. peaCE..
rocker
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
well you can alwasy get a phone with a data package for 3G service. then juse use the browser on the phone and pull up info. I would use the internet stick provided by your ISP, plug that into the laptop and voila, wifi wherever you go.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
You can get a broadband card from a number of providers. you can use them anywhere, and they hook to your laptop the same way a flash drive would.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
el ranchero 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help.
rocker
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 3:51 AM / IP Logged  
Over here, I'm using a Vodafone (Same company as Verizon) with a 3G dongle attached to my laptop. All of my work is mobile and I either use my laptop and WiFi to their system or their computer. All my paper work, invoices and the tech info for DEI etc is on an 8gig USB flash dongle'
Roll on 4G and nationwide WiFi.
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
howie, you do mobile? for car dealers etc?
Ted
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
Planning, planning and more planning. Usually work from the trunk of my car, in the winter I use their workshops.
ALWAYS have spare Weller Pyropen with spare bits, also have spare bits for Weller gun, butane cylinder for the Pyropens,carry about 10 reels of insulating tape, Scotch 33 and fabric tape, assortment of Velcro and stickies, all the normal tools, Snap-On 8 x 10mm 12 point ratcheting ring spanner, + multiples in 2.5mm and 3.2 mm, 4mm, 6.5mm 10 and 12, 14 and 17mm (3/32 to 11/16) + 1 normal and 3 stepped cone cuts. Philips 0, 1, 2 and 3, Pozi 1 and 2, T8-T55 (the last few sizes for seat bolts) also some reverse Torx (E series) + Hex head and various security bits. Bosch 10.5, and 18v lithium drill/drivers, always charged. Large selection of radio keys, the blue bojo trim tools, 1 x skewdriver,test leads, DMM, parts box full of tap tight screws, normal, 4,5,6.4 (6mm, 7mm, 8mm and 10mm spanner size) bolts, crimp ring and 6.4 mm lucar (for pin switches) + fuses +WD and lithium spray, pull tool + ground down cabinet (long shaft) screwdriver for grommets. And most important lock-blade pen-knife, great for switches and starting panel extraction, plus the normals, electrical screwdrivers ratchet crimps, regular and no-insulated crimps, Stanley knife, 3 x different strippers, selection of 1 and 3 amp diodes, relays etc. when I go extreme mobile, i.e. by train or plane I have to know EXACTLY what vehicles, take only what I need. Yes I've been caught out, one van was used as a surveillance vehicle and instead of removing the panel via torx, I had to make up something to remove hex bolts, also I've been known to borrow a car to find a local hardware store! In the winter I also carry a power pack. I still manage to keep my back seats clear, although I've long lost the trunk liner around the hood catch (or striker area) it's been used as a work bench too often! I also carry two rechargable LED work lights and there is extra lighting in my car and in the trunk!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
I forgot the hand cleaner, 4 litres of water, jump leads, invertor, hydraulic jack, wheelbrace, camera and 10" Infinity free air sub!
tedmond 
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  

ahah well said. i should have asked what DONT you have in your car?!

is the scotch 33 getting any cheaper over in the UK?

Ted
Compustar Expert
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
i use a netbook, monthly service is about 60$ and the laptop is no bigger than a 5x7 picture frame . just a suggestion
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic