Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
troublem8ker 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
Why not use a remote?
If you are trying to start the vehicle when you are out of state or the country, or when the possessor isn't aware of it, then I understand your application.
Actually, that is a very good question.
See, I work at an airport, at night, about a 15 minute shuttle ride from my office to my car, AND I have to spend a few minutes in security both ways. On top of that, I have to park about 100yds away from the security area.
I would like to be able to start my car BEFORE the 15 minute ride out of work. I would use my remote, however, I am literally one mile from the parking lot, and line of sight is out of the question.
Some of the people that I work with are also interested in this if I can get it up and running. The shuttle ride out at 7AM is COLD AS FOCK and a nice toasty car would be very welcome.
I mod stuff...yeah...
saskpuller 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
Keep us updated on your project here. I've been trying to do this on my truck for awhile but haven't bothered to order the low voltage relays yet. If it works for you, I'll get going on mine. I plan on using a pager for my project. Got it for free along with the access codes.
troublem8ker 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
I am starting a blog about all the simple projects I do. This is going to be my first entry, then I will update later about all the weird things I have, um, "modified".
I mod stuff...yeah...
troublem8ker 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 4:13 AM / IP Logged  
Started my blog. It makes it a lot easier to update information and offers more flexibility.
There is a little more information on there pertaining to the modification of the cell phone, so check it out.
http://davehacks.troublem8ker.com/wordpress/
Check it out. (Hope I'm not violating some forum rules)
I mod stuff...yeah...
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
ok not a bad plan, but you may want to measure the voltage coming out of that motor, it may not be enough to trip a relay. Also, i would pull up the trigger wire to 12v through a 10k resistor so that your not getting false triggers.
i can think of a couple more issues with it but im too lazy right now, i'm an electrical engineer so if you have any questions i can prolly figure it out circuit design wise
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
number2 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Awesome project! Please bump this thread when you get part 2 on your blog. Otherwise ill forget all about this.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

DEI used to, at least, make a programmable timer controller that could start the car X days a week at whatever time you programmed.  It was only $30 or so from memory - if you work a regular schedule that might be an much easier way to go.

As far as your drawings, I think you are putting the cart before the horse.  You need to buy a phone, take it apart, and measure the voltage and configuration you are going to be working with.

If the vibrator motor has a constant ground and a switched positive you will need to know the magnitude of the voltage and purchase either a low current relay with the proper coil voltage or put a transistor between the vibrator motor and the relay.  I would NOT use an electromechanical relay as they generally pull too much current..

If the vibrator motor has a constant voltage and a switched ground (which is more likely) you could possibly tie the ground trigger directly to the unit, assuming your phone and your car are grounded together.  As you already mentioned the start input uses virtually no current (most likely a transistorized input) so it shouldn't damage the phone. 

Until you know how the phone you are using is configured it is impossible to offer many more solid suggestions. 

While you have the phone open, it may be beneficial to see if you can hardwire in to the "END" key - this would allow you to stop the vibrating instead of just breaking the connection.  This would allow you to use the phone to both start and stop the vehicle! 

Kevin Pierson
troublem8ker 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
meltingplastic wrote:
ok not a bad plan, but you may want to measure the voltage coming out of that motor, it may not be enough to trip a relay. Also, i would pull up the trigger wire to 12v through a 10k resistor so that your not getting false triggers.
i can think of a couple more issues with it but im too lazy right now, i'm an electrical engineer so if you have any questions i can prolly figure it out circuit design wise
The voltage coming out of the phone (vibrate motor) is a solid 1.35v. It takes the phone about .3-.5 seconds to reach this voltage and it sustains it throughout the vibrate sequence.
As for pulling up the trigger wire using a 10k resistor...um, I'm kinda retarded and not sure how that would work. Are you telling me I can build voltage by using a resistor? I thought resistors did exactly the opposite? Like I said, a little electrically retarded.
But seriously, you sounds like you have a decent grasp on the concept, and I def need the help, so anything you provide would be muy beneficial!
I mod stuff...yeah...
troublem8ker 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

DEI used to, at least, make a programmable timer controller that could start the car X days a week at whatever time you programmed.  It was only $30 or so from memory - if you work a regular schedule that might be an much easier way to go.

What's the fun in that? remote start via disposable cell - Page 2 -- posted image.
KPierson wrote:

As far as your drawings, I think you are putting the cart before the horse.  You need to buy a phone, take it apart, and measure the voltage and configuration you are going to be working with.

Did you read my blog or any of my other posts here? That is the ONLY thing that I have accomplished. Everything else is theory.
KPierson wrote:

If the vibrator motor has a constant ground and a switched positive you will need to know the magnitude of the voltage and purchase either a low current relay with the proper coil voltage or put a transistor between the vibrator motor and the relay.  I would NOT use an electromechanical relay as they generally pull too much current..

I plan on using a solid state relay or an optoisolator, as both have the working voltage that I require. Sourcing them is another hurdle, as digikey makes my heaad hurt.
KPierson wrote:

If the vibrator motor has a constant voltage and a switched ground (which is more likely) you could possibly tie the ground trigger directly to the unit, assuming your phone and your car are grounded together.  As you already mentioned the start input uses virtually no current (most likely a transistorized input) so it shouldn't damage the phone. 

Tested that already. Didn't work. Need relays. Good suggestion though.
KPierson wrote:

Until you know how the phone you are using is configured it is impossible to offer many more solid suggestions. 

Go take a look at the pics. DaveHacks
KPierson wrote:

While you have the phone open, it may be beneficial to see if you can hardwire in to the "END" key - this would allow you to stop the vibrating instead of just breaking the connection.  This would allow you to use the phone to both start and stop the vehicle! 

That is an awesome suggestion, but I don't want to screw up the phone. Also, under my current configuration the ACC input would be on for so long that it would simply turn the phone off, as this is what the end key does as well. Working around that would require more electronics and thinking than I want to put forth at this juncture.
All in all, again, you guys are awesome with the suggestions. I really hope I can get this working!
I mod stuff...yeah...
troublem8ker 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2010 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Still waiting for my order from SparkFun to come in, then I'll start testing the circuit.
I mod stuff...yeah...
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic