icon

how to open a dei 514n siren?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smoketest 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know how to open a DEI 514N Siren. I have a brand new that is not producing any sound. I thought maybe I would open it up to see if anything jumps out at me. I see there are some screws in the horn opening but after looking at it closer it looks like everything is plastic welded together. Any idea how to get into this thing? Any known common problems with these units?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
There are three issues here. The unit may need charging up on your vehicle if it's a battery back-up unit, you've wired it wrong, it's faulty. If it's under warranty, don't open it!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  

Before opening it why not just attach the leads to your battery poles and verify if it works or not so you'll know if it's your wiring or not! I have never seen one of these fail from the box! Never!

It just screws open however it isn't welded shut!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

Folks... I know for sure it is broken from the box. I did test direct onto battery and I substituted another unit. It is NG right out of the box. And yes I will try to get it replaced under warranty. I just thought that if it could be opened in a non-distructive manner than it might be worth having a quick look and save me the time and hassle of getting an exchange.

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
Well if you wanna try! Go right ahead! It might void the warranty though! Just on a side note! That has to be plain bad luck! LOL! I've installed that 514n siren for over quite a number of years and have never got a defective one from the box!
smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

Ya bad luck is right. I spent a lot of time checking every thing 9-way to sunday before it even occured to me that the siren itself might be defective. To complicate matters I initially tried to pgm the unit without the aid of the siren by using the blinking led and I miss counted the led flashes when I was attempting to set automatic transmission mode and because of that the car didn't start(ie it was still set for manual trans). When it wouldn't start and the siren didn't work that really led me down the wrong path. Man I wish I had a DEI bit writer, programming these units via the led/siren is not any fun.

I just looked at the 514N again and even loosened the two accessable screw in the horn. It doesn't seem to want to come apart. Are you sure it's not plastic welded? If not than exactly what steps are required to open it? Anyone got an old junk one lying around and is will to disect it so I know how not break the one I have. I am not a DEI autho dealer/installer. If I call them will they work with me directly in exchanging this siren?

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
It isn't welded trust me i've opened them already! I beleive there are two screws kind of on the inside of the surface not the ones on the egdes, the inner ones are the ones to remove! I think it's only two screws! If memory serves right!
smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hum... I can see three phillips screw inbound relative to the two outer screws. It was the 2 outers that I played with earlier. The problem is that those 3 inner screws are about 50% obscured by the inner horn cone. How do I remove/move the inner horn cone in order to gain full access to the set of 3 screws? I tugged on the inner cone thinking it might be friction fitted via the 3 palstic stand-offs but no luck.
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
use a hammer LOL
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
ahah hammer will open it up for sure. im sure it would cost you less and save you more time if you picked up another siren. its 15 bucks.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic