icon

problems with audiovox prestige aps 785

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
I did not read the ehtire thread, but I think the black wire from the 55whatever U should be connected to the Ground Out when Running Wire.  I have no idea what color that wire is on that unit.  If it is grounded all the time, the ignithion switch will see 2 keys and will probably not start.  If connected to GWR wire, it will only see the bypass module when the vehicle is under a remote start episode.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
No Mr I.
Red = constant 12VDC
Black = Ground incidentally NOT just touching it to a metal part of the car.
Blue = Ground whilst running output from the AV unit.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

The 556U requires, as Howie points out, +12V, Ground, and Ground While Running.  The manual is available in the Download section of this site.

Cesart connected 12V and Ground while running (Status output), but not ground.

To address Cezart's question, the 556U black lead needs to be connected to a solid vehicle ground.   With your multimeter, place the red meter lead on a 12volt signal in the car (in the fuse panel, perhaps).  Place the black meter lead on your potential ground point (dash bracket, for example), and make sure the meter reads 12 volts.   It may be easiest to use an existing bolt in the area you choose, as long as your meter indicates it is a good ground. 

You should use a ring terminal on the end of your ground wire, either soldered or crimped (I prefer solder, just my opinion).  Remove the bolt and replace with the ring terminal on the bolt, and retighten.  That should do it.

Lectric Guy
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thatnks Howie. 
cezaryt 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

Guys,

Some of you actually made me read the installation manual for the alarm (at least the part about wire connections). I didn’t go very far, because the manual was more Chinese than plain English, but more about it later… The bottom line is: IT WORKS!!!
I’m happy to announce that my remote starter finally works. There were couple mysterious moments while I was installing it, but it works.

So first of all, I would like to thank all of you for all your advices and patience. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Now – the details: certainly grounding the black wire helped (I could hear the by-pass box clicking). What also helped was identifying which cable was +12V (it was the orange one, not the light blue as I assumed based on connections to the relay – thank you, Lectric Guy for letting me know how to do it).

BTW, while I was trying to find the proper ground for my black cable, you know, placing the red lead of my multimeter in the fuse panel, where there were no fuses, and the black lead somewhere on the dash bracket, I’ve noticed that not all of the empty fuse sockets provided +12V. Sometimes there was no power. Is it normal? This was one of the mysterious moments I’ve mentioned.
Now, about the installation manual – I’ve read that channel 3 and 4 on my remote may be used for other purposes. What would that be? Opening a trunk? A garage door maybe?... Am I pushing my luck too far?

lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2010 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

Cezaryt-

Glad to hear your Remote Start is working.   As far as your question regarding the fuses--yes, absolutely normal.  Some fuses are in line with items only on when the key is inserted and in turned to the ACC or On position, such as your radio.  The supply to these fuese will only be active when the key is inserted and switched to that position.   Other fuses are in line with items always powered, such as headlights.  The supply to these fuses will always have power.

It is common for Channel 3 of the remote start to be used for trunk release, and is activated by holding down the key/trunk button for 3 seconds.  Sometimes this delay can be annoying to customers and installers use another channel, such as channel 4 to provide instant response trunk release.

These signals are pulsed low when activated, and are intended to drive a low current circuit or a relay, and may be used for a number of things such as trunk release, defrost control, window rollup/roll down, etc.  Please be aware that additional components or modules would be required for some of these tasks.

As far as Garage Door Openers, I believe Audiovox made a unit that interfaced to garage door openers and was compatible with remotes, but I don't believe these units are available any longer. 

Lectric Guy
cezaryt 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2010 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

Lectric Guy,

Yes, the remote start works, and I use it from time to time just for fun. ;-)

Thank you very much, one more time, for all your help.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic