icon

problems with audiovox prestige aps 785

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cezaryt 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

Couple facts – car alarm is Audiovox Prestige APS-785 (with remote starter), car is 2003 Honda Accord. The car alarm was installed at the dealership 6 years ago, when we bought the car. It used to be my wife’s car, but when I got it couple years ago, I’ve noticed that couple functions were not working or working a little bit differently. For example the starter didn’t work – it cranked the engine two or three times with no luck – someone later told us, that it’s because the battery in the transmitter was replaced. It didn’t bother me as long as the alarm worked, although it would be nice to have that remote starter working especially during winter in Chicago. So I had this alarm, with many features, but only lock/unlock worked. I was fine with that.

Then couple months ago one of the transmitters failed to work. When the battery is in the light blinks continuously, and the transmitter doesn’t work.

Then last month the other transmitter started acting – I couldn’t disarm the alarm, even though I tried many times. I changed the battery – it didn’t help. I drove my car to the dealer, with alarm sounding all the time, and when one of the service guys touched the transmitter… a miracle happened – it started working. I didn’t want to take chances, so I disarmed the alarm, and left the transmitter at home.

Last Wednesday I wanted to charge my car’s battery, so I had to disconnect it. After I reconnected it, the alarm sounded (of course), but didn't respond to the transmitter. I had to manually override it using the valet switch.

I tried reprogramming the good transmitter doing the following: ignition on, press valet switch 3 times, press lock (the alarm sounded once), press valet, press unlock (the alarm sounded twice), press valet, press the third button (the alarm sounded three times), press valet, press the fourth button (the alarm sounded four times)… and the transmitter still doesn’t work. What do I do wrong? How do I program the good transmitter? What should I do with the other one? Is it reparable?

Thanks for any help.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
I've seen that "LED always on" thing many times before. That means the remote is defective. I don't really know why they do that...sometimes they get wet inside from going through the washing machine and that happens.
Have you asked the dealer to replace the remote(s) for you under warranty? If you were my customer, I would.
That sounds like you entered programming the correct way. But, after you pressed the valet switch three times and got that short chirp, when you press Lock on the transmitter, you're supposed to get a LOUD chirp. If you didn't, the system didn't recognize the remote.
I'll guess the remote is bad, but you never know if you could have a bad antenna or even a bad brain....very unlikely but no way to tell until you try a new remote.
If the dealer won't help you, you can find Audiovox remotes on eBay fairly easily. I might have a couple extra I could send you if you'd send me the bad ones back plus a couple of dollars for postage....I'll look around and get back.
P.S. You mentioned that in the past, the remote starter would crank but not start the engine.
The fact that the unit at least tried to start the car proved that the remote was good (at that time) and programmed correctly.
It either wasn't cranking long enough, or maybe the car wasn't "seeing" the transponder chip in the spare key that's installed in that little box under the dash. No way to really troubleshoot this part until you get the remotes working, though.
cezaryt 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2010 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you, Chris for your advice. I'll try to re-program the "good" transmitter one more time, then I'll get back to you with results.

cezaryt 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2010 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I tried to reprogram the "good" transmitter today one more time. I did the following: ignition on, pressed the valet switch 3 times, the siren chirped once, pressed and hold the lock button for some time, but there was no loud chirp, and after about 6-7 seconds the alarm sounded once, and it was it. It looked like the unit exited the program mode. Oh, and from that single chirp until that one sound, the dash mounted LED was flashing, then it went off. I tried it two times. Does it mean that the unit doesn’t recognize the transmitter/the second transmitter is also bad? The battery is good, and when I press any button the LED on the transmitter blinks as it used to before I started having those problems. Any thoughts?

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  
Either it isn't seeing the remote or the antenna is unplugged/bad....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, what Mike said.
Probably just bad remotes but you never know.
Was the windshield recently replaced? Sometimes the windshield guys mess up the antenna cables?
cezaryt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2010 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

I've been very busy at work lately... but here is an update: the antenna cable was loose. I've plugged it in, I've reprogrammed the good transmitter (I changed some features), and the car alarm works. The other transmitter is dead though, so I'll have to think about a replacement. Chris, is your offer still valid?

Now - the remote starter. I've programmed the tach rate, I've made changes to some features, but it still doesn't work. The lights flash once, the starter inside the car tries to start the engine, but after three attempts nothing happens. I've tried to enter the diagnostic mode (feature #7), but the description in the manual is so vague, that I has not been able to figure out the reason. I think I've turned it on, but the lights were not flushing... Do you have any idea why the remote starter doesn't work? Is there anything I can do to check/fix it?

Chris Luongo 
Posted: March 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I'll try to help with remotes. Whatever I have is likely to look different from what you have, but will still work correctly.
Anyway, good news about the antenna cable and having one good remote!
If the tach programming works, you can be pretty sure that the tach wire is still hooked up and hasn't come disconnected or anything. (The parking lights flash on and off when you go to start the engine, correct?)
My guess if I have to make a bet would be that the car isn't "seeing" the transponder key that's most likely installed in a small box under the dash, but better to test first.
Do the following:
1. Start engine normally with key, while looking at the instrument cluster. There's a green light with a key symbol in it. Take note that the light comes on steady for a couple of seconds, then goes out and stays out.
2. OK, now you understand how the light is supposed to work. So, shut the car off, remove the key, wait a few seconds, and try the remote starter.
3. Is that green key light still coming on steady, or is it flashing now? If it's flashing, the car isn't seeing the transponder in the key. If that's the case, try remote starting again, but while leaving the key in the ignition (in the Off position) the whole time.
If, after Step 3, it remote starts reliably with a good key in the ignition, you'll know it's a transponder bypass issue for sure, and then there are a few things you can do to fix it.
P.S. Have you had replacement keys made for the car for any reason? Has the car been to a locksmith for anything?
cezaryt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

Chris - you are the man!

When I tried to start the engine remotely, the green key light on the dashboard was flashing. I put the key in the ignition (in the Off position), tried again and the engine started... So what's the next step? How do we fix that transponder bypass issue?

Thanks for all your help!

PS. No, I still have my original keys (no replacement). My wife (who's been using the car previously) said that the remote start hadn't been working for a long time.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
I noticed he said since he got the car the remote start wasn't working! And from what he said above it is a transponder issue, now if the dealership who installed the unit is any way similiar to the dealerships I know locally, they didn't install a bypass or had no clue they needed one, LOL! problems with audiovox prestige aps 785 -- posted image. Anyway, you have to check under the dash for  that little box with a key in it, if you don't locate it, well you'll have to install one, if you do then you can troubleshoot!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic